Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006, 05:05   #1
God Member

Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep??????

Speechless contempt

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...073043,00.html
Old 07-03-2006, 09:02   #2
Member.

Re: Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep??????

Did we not have an instance of this type of madness in Accrington back in the 70s?

Taking account of the fact that the “Rainbow” was hijacked by those nice floral types to announce gayness to the world, will it now mean that the former Baa, baa Black Sheep is now Gay?

And, what about all those nice Monks - Will they become Rainbow Friars? God help us A-B.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:36   #3
Resident Waffler

Rainbow sheep?

How long have sheep been so gloriously coloured? (Apart from the ones spray painted by vandals.) This is total insanity. Sheep come in shades of white, cream, brown, black etc. People are blond, brunette, ..... have blue eyes, brown eyes, green eyes. It is NOT offensive to notice that people also have different coloured skin. It is NOT racist to mention this fact, let alone mention the different colours of sheeps wool! It only becomes offensive when it is implied that one colour (of human skin) is preferable to another for any reason. This doesn't mean we can't prefer black or brown wool to white or cream wool. If I wanted natural wool I'd prefer some cream and brown shades and wouldn't expect to get bright green or orange!

When will the PC brigade ever realise that they do more harm than good with such utter nonsense as this?!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:55   #4
God Member

Madness reigns supreme. What next no black ties, shoes, suits, cars, berries, currents etc etc etc. if its geting that bad there will be no white items soon. I saw a story last week about a shop owner who got a call from the police about an incident at a shop caused by the 3 gollies he had in his window. Police reckoned it could caause offence and trouble. Why dont we just alpha numericaly code colours the same as when they are manufactured and just use that then no one could be offended, unless a eEnglish or maths teacher. This has to stop.

From now on I might coplain if I am discribed as white and take offence of the use of white! If they want to stop or ban any thing that could be used as racial stereotyping then it should be used for the rest of us.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:10   #5
God Member

We do code colours, #FFFFFF is white for example, #000000 is black, #FF66CC is a lovely shade of pink

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:14   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
We do code colours, #FFFFFF is white for example, #000000 is black, #FF66CC is a lovely shade of pink

That would be fun when ordering cakes.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:17   #7
Give, give, give member

What about that arch fascist Mary?

Has she escaped the re-wording.

Her, the naughty little minx, that would only have a lamb whose fleece was white as snow.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Did we not have an instance of this type of madness in Accrington back in the 70s?

Taking account of the fact that the “Rainbow” was hijacked by those nice floral types to announce gayness to the world, will it now mean that the former Baa, baa Black Sheep is now Gay?

And, what about all those nice Monks - Will they become Rainbow Friars? God help us A-B.

Surely you aren't afraid of walking up and down the promenade in your rainbow coloured, velveteen, leisure suit, for fear of being thought of as a nancy?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:52   #9
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Surely you aren't afraid of walking up and down the promenade with me in my rainbow coloured, velveteen, leisure suit, for fear of being thought of as a nancy?
In a word. Yes!

I don't use a lot of colour. Black, white shades of Grey and occasion Blue tones are fine by me.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:10   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi

That's a bit shocking Ian!

I'm more of a pale version of FFCC99

Old 07-03-2006, 11:22   #11
God Member

A couple of Asian friends of mine are forever pointing out how pale I am and when I get a tan they put their arms next to mine and tell me how far I am off having a proper tan like them. This is not offensive to anyone, it's banter and it's fun - we're simply different colours and we all know it and accept it!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25   #12
God Member

Anyway, for the more politically correct people - what about this version

Baa, baa, white sheep
Have you any spots?
Some on my belly, some on my toes
And one very big one on the end of my nose

Old 07-03-2006, 11:41   #13
Resident Waffler

Now that, Gayle, is very offensive to people who suffer from acne!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:58   #14
God Member

Yes, of course, - and also to the ones who are currently suffering from chicken pox.

BTW - this was taught to me by my children who learnt it at nursery. Along with

Twinkle Twinkle Traffic Lights
Standing at the corner bright
When it's green it's go go go
When it's red it's no no no
Twinkle Twinkle traffic lights
standing at the corner bright

I think they're are trying to move away from the traditional ones as much as possible for lots of reasons

Last edited by Gayle; 07-03-2006 at 12:00.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:40   #15
God Member

(Un)fortunately Siobhan will be dragged up properly with the full, unabridged original versions. Just like at the local church where they have some new fangled version of the lord prayer. I still happily belt out the one I learnt at Spring Hill Sunday school thanks!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..