Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2008, 22:46   #1
God Member

Bad Languge on Television

bit of a debate going on here in the US today about what is and what isn't acceptable speech on live TV , Yesterday morning aging actress Hanoi Jane Fonda used the " C " word whilst disscussing a play she had appeared in a few years ago ..(a piece of feminist claptrap called the Vagina Monologs),
To my mind 'bad' language can have a place on TV .....late at night when children should be in bed and then only if a warning is aired before the program begins ....but in Ms Fonda's wisdom she decided it' ok to use at 7.30 am when parents are rushing to get the kids breakfast and preparing for work ........so what do you think ....does bad language belong with the coco-pops and shredded wheat ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2008, 22:50   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bad Languge on Television

personally i think certain words should not be on full stop, n last thing i am is a prude. some ya can get away with late on, others i think not.
Old 15-02-2008, 22:50   #3
God Member

Yes I think that bad language should have a watershed just like we have for sexual scenes and things
Although HollyOaks that is on at 6-30pm has some worse scenes than some of the things that are put after the Watershed at 9pm
I just choose not to leave the channel on while the children are here
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 23:12   #4
Resting in Peace

Sure that Jane Fonda knew exactly what she was saying .. we all have that 1 second thought before we come out with words like this. Probably did it for effect .. nowt else. Do it myself sometimes .. Can't help saying sh!te though when bang me toe or summat ..but that's slightly involuntary.

Vagina Monologues (hope Gayle doesn't see this )

They are just words really, although mainly expletives of bodily parts .. think the biggest atrocity is that better adverbs could be used, and if stars of this calibre had used better (crumbs she is only an actress after all !) then would have more influence on our children.

Silly cow has a responsibility for her celebrity status.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 23:50   #5
God Member

Video here:

NBC Apologizes For Jane Fonda Saying "C**t" On "Today" - Media on The Huffington Post
Old 16-02-2008, 09:08   #6
Resting in Peace

There was plenty of four letter profanities flying about on Johnathan Ross last night, personally I don't like bad languge on TV, there is really no need for it, even if it does depict normal life. Its no use saying its after the water-shed as kids are still roaming the streets at midnight, but there again most kids today would make us all blush with the every day languge they use in their normal conversations
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:26   #7

I'm middle of the road on this but certain words such as the one used by Ms Fonda are very distasteful.

Suz x.
suzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 11:06   #8

I don’t mind either way really, so long as there is an appropriate warning before the programme.
Old 16-02-2008, 12:10   #9
Beacon of light

I do not like bad language......and I know they are only words, but it is the way we use words to communicate what we want to say.
I find it very disrespectful to use language that is from the gutter.
To my mind it shows a distinct lack of learning and taste.....unless you have just hit your thumb with the hammer.

I also think that the common use of bad language reduces its effect when you really want to vent your spleen.......I hate hearing young folk, and not so young folk mouthing off the F word at every opportunity.....it's not big and it's not clever.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 20:04   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Sure that Jane Fonda knew exactly what she was saying

Silly cow has a responsibility for her celebrity status.

You can't call people that, Katex! You will get yourself into trouble.

See the other thread about PB. LOL
Old 17-02-2008, 07:11   #11
God Member

Funny isn't it that we all know these words, what they mean and how to use them when we are still at primary school. I knew them and so did my parents and grand parents. If we are so desperate to protect the delicate sensibilites of the developing young then I must say that we are doing a very poor job of it.

This whole debate is about more than protecting the young, if it was ever about that. It has more to do with taste and pretentions to taste. Protecting children is a mere smokescreen. Why would we want to protect our children from a full understanding of the language, how would that benefit them?
Old 17-02-2008, 13:02   #12
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I do not like bad language......and I know they are only words, but it is the way we use words to communicate what we want to say.
I find it very disrespectful to use language that is from the gutter.
To my mind it shows a distinct lack of learning and taste.....unless you have just hit your thumb with the hammer.

I also think that the common use of bad language reduces its effect when you really want to vent your spleen.......I hate hearing young folk, and not so young folk mouthing off the F word at every opportunity.....it's not big and it's not clever.
My oppinion too Margaret ,,,,I couldent have put it better myself
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 13:08   #13
Beacon of light

thanks for the vote of confidence Grannyclaret...if I say things like that my hubby says it is the 'way of the world'....and I tell him it is, but only because people do not object to bucket-mouth language.

I, personally find it repulsive, objectionable, offensive and disrespectful. Does that make me the bad person?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 13:14   #14
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
thanks for the vote of confidence Grannyclaret...if I say things like that my hubby says it is the 'way of the world'....and I tell him it is, but only because people do not object to bucket-mouth language.

I, personally find it repulsive, objectionable, offensive and disrespectful. Does that make me the bad person?
No your not ,,I blame these alternative commedians for most of the smutt..Give me Morcambe and Wise and Ken Dodd anyday
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 13:25   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
You can't call people that, Katex! You will get yourself into trouble.

See the other thread about PB. LOL
Whoops .. forgot about this one ..well, at least she can't hear me .. , but lots of children heard her I suspect..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..