Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2008, 21:24   #1
God Member

Banning of cluster bombs

Britain has signed up to an agreement to ban cluster bombs.. the agreement includes a promise never to use these bombs and ban stock piles in the UK (including USA stocks).
These bombs should certainly not be used in built up areas with civilians, but in a war can to be pretty useful as was shown in the Falklands when they were used to disable runways.
Having said they should not be used in in bombing towns and cities, is there any difference to cluster bombing and saturation bombing used against Germany in WW2?
Do you think these bombs should by banned unilaterally by Britain?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2008, 21:41   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Banning of cluster bombs

we were talking about this at teatime after news, Russia, USA, @ China are not interested in banning em, so terrible though they are, its much ado about nothing to me.
Old 28-05-2008, 21:48   #3

It’s a worthy ban of the present type of cluster bomb.

As I understand it, presently not all the bomblets necessarily detonate when dropped. Could mean civilians detonating them accidentally a few years later, bit like unmapped landmines e.g. farmer ploughs field, treads on landmine, int nice is it.

The thing is, in war we don’t all play by the same rules and there aint a particularly nice way of killing the enemy.
Old 28-05-2008, 22:22   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just askin cos i don't know is Isreal part of this ban? cos they drop as many as any ******. another point certain kinds of cluster bombs (the safer for the innocent type) are EXEMPT from this ban as i understand it. that if so aint worthy to me.
Old 28-05-2008, 22:27   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
we were talking about this at teatime after news, Russia, USA, @ China are not interested in banning em, so terrible though they are, its much ado about nothing to me.
I suppose that's what I'm trying to point out Cashy.. If, in a future war this country has promised ,and has no cluster bombs, but the enemy use them as they wish,, this could be a dis-advantage to us.
Old 28-05-2008, 22:36   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I suppose that's what I'm trying to point out Cashy.. If, in a future war this country has promised ,and has no cluster bombs, but the enemy use them as they wish,, this could be a dis-advantage to us.
yeh an just like the European Union these dummys will play by the rules whilst ememys bomb the crap out of us, after all its not cricket.
Old 28-05-2008, 22:39   #7
God Member

As you say Cash.. just not cricket.. not to worry, stiff upper lip and all that.. jolly good fun whato!!
Old 28-05-2008, 22:42   #8

If you have to use weapons then it has to be a bonus if you can actually have some control over them. Cluster bombs do a good job of wrecking a runway, that’s all well and good if they detonate when intended.

Old 28-05-2008, 22:45   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
If you have to use weapons then it has to be a bonus if you can actually have some control over them. Cluster bombs do a good job of wrecking a runway, that’s all well and good if they detonate when intended.

depends a lot who drops em, friendly fire can be a bit of a ******.
Old 28-05-2008, 22:51   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh an just like the European Union these dummys will play by the rules whilst ememys bomb the crap out of us, after all its not cricket.
I think you will find them tucked away somewhere in the hiils.
I dont think even GB is that daft........over the hills and far away?.......Need to know?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 28-05-2008 at 22:53.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 22:52   #11
God Member

if we cant use cluster bombs just nuke the crap out of them

problem soved

seriously though why should we not use them if others are going to ?

without them it will be like taking a knife to a gun fight
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 22:55   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I think you will find them tucked away somewhere in the hiils.
I dont think even GB is that daft........over the hills and far away?
Ah! that brings back not to distant memories RoyBoy..hidden weapons.. just like Iraq had?
Old 28-05-2008, 23:00   #13
God Member

Quote:
Ah! that brings back not to distant memories RoyBoy..hidden weapons.. just like Iraq had?
Bin there...done it...worn that tee shirt....still got missiles from the second world war.....and still useable....checked once a week for stability....RAOC for a long time................Fact not make believe.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 23:00   #14
God Member

Quote:

they do , its just that they are so well hidden we havnt found them yet

people forget that sadam was world champion at hide the bomb for 5 years straight ?

just a pity for him he wasnt so good at hide and seek lol
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 23:03   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Bin there...done it...worn that tee shirt....still got missiles from the second world war.....and still useable....checked once a week for stability....RAOC for a long time................Fact not make believe.
He he .. (were are you hiding them Roy.. in your underpants?)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..