Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2011, 16:41   #16
God Member

Re: Be Careful What You Wish For

Of course, there is also the possibility that the political and financial elites are planning something to distract us from our woes and also get the economy moving again. I would not want to be in Iran's shoes at the moment. I would not put it past the Americans to engineer a situation involving Israel, Syria and Iran. There is also the possibility of War in Europe.
Old 26-11-2011, 16:47   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
. There is also the possibility of War in Europe.
OMG! Please take that back at once...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 16:52   #18
God Member

Quote:
Of course, there is also the possibility that the political and financial elites are planning something to distract us from our woes and also get the economy moving again. I would not want to be in Iran's shoes at the moment. I would not put it past the Americans to engineer a situation involving Israel, Syria and Iran. There is also the possibility of War in Europe.
Just popped back from the reincarnation thread -you wouldn't be the second coming of Nostradamus by any chance

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 26-11-2011, 16:58   #19
God Member

The possible/likely scenarios -

Bring Out Your Dead - UBS Quantifies Costs Of Euro Break Up, Warns Of Collapse Of Banking System And Civil War | ZeroHedge

...not exactly comfortable to read or contemplate

"the historical parallels are unappealing. Past instances of monetary union break-ups have tended to produce one of two results. Either there was a more authoritarian government response to contain or repress the social disorder (a scenario that tended to require a change from democratic to authoritarian or military government), or alternatively, the social disorder worked with existing fault lines in society to divide the country, spilling over into civil war. These are not inevitable conclusions, but indicate that monetary union break-up is not something that can be treated as a casual issue of exchange rate policy"

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 17:01   #20
God Member

The other amazing thing that has just ocurred to me is that everything seems to be lining up neatly just in time for the Mayan Prophecy about 2012. Apparently the prophecy was found in only one temple in Mexico... in the paper yesterday it was reported that they had found another temple with the same prophecy.

As regards the spectre of War in Europe. if the economies go down and their aint no cash who are people going to start blaming, when they get over the shock. They will look at those whose economies are still functioning with envious eyes.
Old 26-11-2011, 17:01   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
By the way, A-B you haven't ellucidated on 1973.....I am all ears!
Can you not rememember all the power cuts, and the like?

I was eight. It was terrible.

We had a windmill, which powered two lamps and a portable telly. Which was pointless, as there was no tv being broadcast.

Even Blur Peter. I was furious, and still think Biddy Baxter could have fettled together some sort of programme.

I can't get my head round all that's happening now.

I might cash in all my assets, and invest in something tangible.

Perhaps in community art. Something in wool, which will hold it's value.

It sounds frightening enough to give you a headache. Cheers Acidic-babs.

I might just blow everything, and throw caution to the wind, and host one almighty 'We're all doomed, doomed I tell you' party.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 17:09   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Can you not rememember all the power cuts, and the like?

I was eight. It was terrible.

We had a windmill, which powered two lamps and a portable telly. Which was pointless, as there was no tv being broadcast.

Even Blur Peter. I was furious, and still think Biddy Baxter could have fettled together some sort of programme.

I can't get my head round all that's happening now.

I might cash in all my assets, and invest in something tangible.

Perhaps in community art. Something in wool, which will hold it's value.

It sounds frightening enough to give you a headache. Cheers Acidic-babs.

I might just blow everything, and throw caution to the wind, and host one almighty 'We're all doomed, doomed I tell you' party.

Remember it all -and you saying you had alternative power and a swimming pool as we were all suffering!

Glad you' re still a party animal - I was about to throw out an SOS! Put me on the list for the party-if the world's about to end -I want to go out with a bang -and you know what kind i mean.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 26-11-2011, 17:16   #23
God Member

A 'run on the banks' is possible.
This site indicates which banks(20) are most vulnerable
20 Banks That Will Get Crushed If The PIIGS Go Bust

Old 26-11-2011, 17:20   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Remember it all -and you saying you had alternative power and a swimming pool as we were all suffering!

Glad you' re still a party animal - I was about to throw out an SOS! Put me on the list for the party-if the world's about to end -I want to go out with a bang -and you know what kind i mean.
Ok, you will be invited. My parties have bangs a plenty.

We are more vunerable as a society, than we were 40 years ago.

Most people didn't even have freezers then. Now we rely on electicity for everything. From getting money from the hole in the wall, to receiving our news.

Who has a battery powered radio nowadays?

Though that would be near useless too, as there'd be very little being broadcast.

I've been squirreling away three years worth of dried food stock, and after that I've discovered I can survive on what I can forage from nearby woodland.

It might not be pretty, but the new Dark Age could be fun.

Old 26-11-2011, 17:22   #25
God Member

Sigh Now that I have cheered everyone up here's a little light relief...

(rush ahead to 1m, 20secs)

A wonderfully illogical solution to the problem, perhaps, but I can't think of a better one for now.
Old 26-11-2011, 17:27   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Got it! Thought it was later than 73 -I remember the blackouts -having to stay in playing cards in candle-light with our coats on to keep warm...

So it'll mean going back to the good old days...
Quote:
1973. Followed on from the previous year's Winter of Discontent. The oil dispute was ongoing which forced up the price of coal, inflation was rampant and pay rises were capped. The miners went on strike (yet again) and the government were forced to ration electricity. Companies were allowed to use it on only three days per week. Households endured frequent blackouts. Get the picture?
Sorry your timing's a bit out - the three day week was Jan to Mar 1974 (I missed it as I was working in the States). So mobertol is right it was the following year.

Also the Winter of Discontent was 1978-9 under Callaghan.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 17:29   #27
God Member

The advantages of heeding conspiracy forums is now revealing itself.
I am prepared .... right down to the axe by the front door

Old 26-11-2011, 17:34   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Sorry your timing's a bit out - the three day week was Jan to Mar 1974 (I missed it as I was working in the States). So mobertol is right it was the following year.

Also the Winter of Discontent was 1978-9 under Callaghan.
'It is eerily reminiscent of the 1973 energy crisis when rising oil prices pushed up inflation and sent the world into an economic tailspin. Britain was hit particularly hard at the time, suffering power cuts, rampant inflation and a three-day working week.'
BBC News | UK | Is this 1973 all over again?

1973 was winter of discontent
1973 was real winter of discontent | The Sun |Features

'The Three-Day Week was one of several measures introduced in the United Kingdom by the Conservative Government 1970–1974 to conserve electricity, the production of which was severely limited due to industrial action by coal miners. The effect was that from 1 January until 7 March 1974 commercial users of electricity would be limited to three specified consecutive days' consumption each week and prohibited from working longer hours on those days.'
Three-Day Week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 26-11-2011, 17:37   #29
God Member

International trade will stop - enjoy bananas while you still can

Last edited by MargaretR; 26-11-2011 at 17:41.
Old 26-11-2011, 17:38   #30
Give, give, give member

Your half right.

The term winter of discontent, wasn't used until 1978/79.

Though there were national power cuts in 1973.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..