Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2013, 17:44   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Bedroom Tax At Last, Our Council Speaks Out.

Today's Lancashire Telegraph reports that Hyndburn Council and our MP are against the bedroom tax, can I say it's taken you long enough, you should have been speaking out months sooner, but at least you are now trying.
Good luck with this venture I hope you get the sane members of the public backing you're attempt to protect the vulnerable.
robot1002 and Stevie R like this.

Last edited by Less; 27-03-2013 at 17:48.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2013, 21:19   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bedroom Tax At Last, Our Council Speaks Out.

Maybe i'm just n owd cynic, But could the fact L.C.C. Elections are getting very near, only 4/5 week off, have any bearing on this?
jaysay, Eric, BERNADETTE and 2 others like this.
Old 28-03-2013, 14:24   #3
God Member

hang on lets not praise them too much because i know of someone whos life is been made hell by this council and their strong reluctance to help where they claim they will help.

He has done nothing but provide every document and detail that has been asked of him and each time they insist on a different document.If the council had stated out from day one over 3 months ago what was required he could have got teh ball rolling as to aquiring what they are now asking for.He has asked for a copy of the rules so as he can see how this is happening and was told that it was in the decision makers hands whoever that is because they are apparantly unknown and unanswerable to anyone.

from what i can make out the decision maker has looked at the claimant and seen that he is male with no kids living with him so screw him and if he dosnt go away make his life so hard he gives up.

its ok folk saying they dont agree with it but lets see some action and not just words ..

and besides our mr jones is quite good at saying one thing and doing another so forgive me for not holding my breath

just empty words uttered by those who are taking an opportunity to bitch about the oppositions policies and cant do stuff all to alter them because they are no longer the party in power.Would they be opposing these rules if the were labour rules?

Would they hell they would be defending them tooth and nail
BERNADETTE likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 28-03-2013 at 14:29.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 15:13   #4
God Member

There have been several ridiculous property taxes in the past -

Hearth tax - pay per chimney 1662-1689 - some adjoining houses shared a chimney

Brick tax - brickmakers increased brick size so less were needed -1784-1850

Wallpaper tax - printed pattern only - 1712-1836 - people stencilled plain papers

Window tax - levied per window - 1696-1851 - windows were bricked up.

..and now 'bedroom tax' - a trend for 'open plan' homes is likely to result.
?Brick up your doors, knock down the walls?: Labour MP Frank Field makes dramatic call as 'bedroom tax' hits - UK Politics - UK - The Independent
Stevie R likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 15:21   #5
God Member

cant alter your home if its rented especially from an association

my house would be ideal if i could turn it upside down.I only have 1 room downstairs and a kitchen

if i can find a 1 bedroom house with two rooms and a kitchen downstairs the rent would be paid

idiotic policey specifically targeted at the already poor
BERNADETTE likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 28-03-2013, 15:27   #6
God Member

There is a growing trend for people to live alone, and one bedroomed property is in short supply.

This may result in landlords making modifications to ensure that tenants are capable of meeting the rent.

A lower rent paid regularly is better for them than an empty property earning nothing.

Old 28-03-2013, 15:42   #7
God Member

just for note this bedroom tax was supposed to hit people such as those who had remained in a propperty after their kids left home leaving 1 person in a 4 bedroom house for example.Councils of all partys have used this to target people with 1 empty room to save money knowing that they can sit back and pass the blame on to central government.The intention to penalise single people with 1 bedroom empty or only used at weekends by single parents with access to tehir kids was not the intent of the government but the councils have seen an opportunity to save money and pass blame.

having said that its up to central government to close that loophole and fix their error to prevent councils penalising the vulnerable

Old 28-03-2013, 15:57   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Councils of all partys have used this to target people with 1 empty room to save money knowing that they can sit back and pass the blame on to central government.
I thought the rent money came from Central Government and not the Local Council
Old 28-03-2013, 16:15   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
All sorts of things are being changed Neil, I believe that instead of being able to opt for rent money being paid by the council directly to the landlord, it will now be paid into the tenants bank account.
Now I like the fact that my rent goes straight to my landlord as it is at the moment, but it seems this is to give those on benefits 'responsibility', well I'm sorry but I'm responsible enough to realise that if I never see the rent money I can't touch the rent money.
How many will soon be in further debt because they aren't responsible, they need to have the money paid direct, if some folk see a few hundred pounds in their account where do yo suppose they will spend it.
Yet again it will only be a few, however the glorious coalition will say, there, we gave all the scroungers on benefits the chance to act responsibly, yet again they've let us all down.
cashman and BERNADETTE like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 16:39   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
All sorts of things are being changed Neil, I believe that instead of being able to opt for rent money being paid by the council directly to the landlord, it will now be paid into the tenants bank account.
Now I like the fact that my rent goes straight to my landlord as it is at the moment, but it seems this is to give those on benefits 'responsibility', well I'm sorry but I'm responsible enough to realise that if I never see the rent money I can't touch the rent money.
How many will soon be in further debt because they aren't responsible, they need to have the money paid direct, if some folk see a few hundred pounds in their account where do yo suppose they will spend it.
Yet again it will only be a few, however the glorious coalition will say, there, we gave all the scroungers on benefits the chance to act responsibly, yet again they've let us all down.
Totally agree Less, seems it's not working in the areas where they've tried it.

BBC News - Eviction fears over universal credit housing changes
Old 28-03-2013, 16:53   #11
God Member

when you have nasty letters from greedy companies like british gas saying tehy are going to cut off your electricity or gas then i can see why some people would be tempted to use rent money to pay the bills.I can also see that pot heads will happily blow teh rent money on weed so regardless of how the money would be spent it makes sense to allow people to hav emoney directly sent to the landlord

Old 28-03-2013, 16:58   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
im pretty sure the council send out the money which they get from central government but considering how far the people in charge at HBC have their heads shoved up their own arses its hard to know exactly what they are on about at the best of times

i dont think theres any organisation that has anything good to say about HBC

i rang my housing association about a problem and as soon as i mentioned HBC they said "well that explains things" and they deal with many councils yet HBC is so memorable to them

when i rang social services as soon as i mentioned HBC they said similar

if i rang trading standards they would probbably say not fit for purpous

Old 28-03-2013, 17:07   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
when you have nasty letters from greedy companies like british gas saying tehy are going to cut off your electricity or gas then i can see why some people would be tempted to use rent money to pay the bills.I can also see that pot heads will happily blow teh rent money on weed so regardless of how the money would be spent it makes sense to allow people to hav emoney directly sent to the landlord
Totally agree AM its absolute stupidity paying money into tenants bank accounts, can't for the life in me think why they think this is better, this is one thing they should never have changed
BERNADETTE and accyman like this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 17:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There have been several ridiculous property taxes in the past -

Hearth tax - pay per chimney 1662-1689 - some adjoining houses shared a chimney

Brick tax - brickmakers increased brick size so less were needed -1784-1850

Wallpaper tax - printed pattern only - 1712-1836 - people stencilled plain papers

Window tax - levied per window - 1696-1851 - windows were bricked up.

..and now 'bedroom tax' - a trend for 'open plan' homes is likely to result.
?Brick up your doors, knock down the walls?: Labour MP Frank Field makes dramatic call as 'bedroom tax' hits - UK Politics - UK - The Independent
Interesting post but the difference is this is not a tax its a withholding of benefits. I know its bad for some people but there is a point to what they're 'trying' to do. People should realize social housing is a privilege not a right.
jaysay and susie123 like this.
Old 28-03-2013, 18:24   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiasfc View Post
Interesting post but the difference is this is not a tax its a withholding of benefits. I know its bad for some people but there is a point to what they're 'trying' to do. People should realize social housing is a privilege not a right.
When money is witheld from wages it is named 'tax'.

Benefits are substitutes for wages.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..