Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 12:43   #1
Senior Member+

best broadband deal...

what wud it be?

i'm looking for a 1mb connection the best i've found is with pipex for around 24 quid.

oh and ideally with no monthly download limits either.

many thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 13:22   #2
God Member

Re: best broadband deal...

www.freedom2surf.com

Has a download limit of 50gigs/month (which ive NEVER hit)
Unmetered downloads 1am to 6am
2Mbit for £25 and I think they said they will upgrade to highest speed your line can take (up to 8Mbit) once BT finish doing their trials.. no idea how far that is off tho.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 13:46   #3
Senior Member+

I am with Tiscali at the moment with a 1Mb connection.

15Gb download limit (which would be hard to hit in most cases) for £19.99 per month.

I think there may be a 12 month initial contract though, but don't quote me on that

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 15:08   #4
I am Banned

origionaly i would have said NTL as i have been with them for 5 years

unfortunatly if you like playing online games and downloading avoid NTL at all costs

they are introducing limits to how much usage you can do and will fine you / charge you more for going over they limits

for those customers that are with ntl currently you can get AOL through the ntl network but only a 1mb connection but dodnt have limits on how much you use

hopefully NTL will go bust soon and be taken over by a better company

one can only pray and hope lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 15:42   #5
God Member

Eclipse get good reviews as well. I'd have a look on adslguide.org

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 15:59   #6
I am Banned

AOL £17.99 a month

no download limits

1mb connection

can be got through your bt network or ntl network

http://www.aol.co.uk/
Old 05-05-2005, 16:10   #7
Senior Member+

Don't do AOL, unless you are happy for it to take over your computer and mess it up good and proper

Old 05-05-2005, 16:35   #8
I am Banned

you dont have to use AOL software vorlon just like you dont have to use bt's software to make your interner connection

all you need is the dial up number , username and password to make the internet connection

aol software does intergrate with your operating system and can cause problems but i would say that 90% of aol users dont notice them

ime not saying the problems arnt there but most users dont spot them and quite happily surf the net as happy as can be

some of my friends use aol and are happy enough but personaly i wouldnt put any disk with AOL on it in my pc

i wont even use ICQ chat client because that is AOL'S

the service provided by AOL through the ntl network would be a lot more reliable than any service brought through the BT network as with any service brought through the bt newtwork your quality of service depends on how far you are away from the exchange box and how many other people are also using it

the ntl network via cable is more constant and reliable as its reliabilty dosnt depend on amount of users connected or distance from the exchange

i for instance can download at a constant 380kbs all day if i wanted yet if i was on bt that speed would rise and fall accordingly to how many people in my area were connected at the exchange

Last edited by chav1; 05-05-2005 at 16:42.
Old 05-05-2005, 16:44   #9
Senior Member+

I don't even know anyone on ICQ any more, and I kept getting hassled by women who supposedly wanted my body, but in reality wanted me to part with my money.

The idea I have of AOL is that it is designed for people who know next to nothing about computers and the internet, and need something to hold their hands.

I'd rather have the control myself, instead of letting the software take over my computer.

Does it force you to use Outlook Express as well?

Old 05-05-2005, 16:51   #10
I am Banned

my biggest gripe with AOL is their browser it dosnt take over internet explorer but claims priority so if your AOL software crashes you loose all your bookmarked and favorite websites

i advise my friends that as soon as they connect to the internet to minimize all AOL windows and click the explorer icon and surf using that

aol is good if you have kids though as like you say it holds their hand and prevents them viewing unsuitable content or sites
Old 05-05-2005, 18:02   #11
Senior Member+

I dont know how it works in the UK but I do know if you tried to limit the amount of downloads you were allowed over here you would go out of business very fast. AOL wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, they really are Big Brother.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 18:42   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I kept getting hassled by women who supposedly wanted my body, but in reality wanted me to part with my money.
That sounds like a good description of women to me mate
Thats before marriage. After they just want your money.
Old 05-05-2005, 20:20   #13
God Member

AOL control all sorts of things on you connection. e.g. you could only see Usenet groups that they decided and they have now removed these as well. Their internet connection(on Dialup certainly, not sure about BB) uses a different protocol than every other ISP and when you install AOL it removes the TCP/IP protocol so when you try and go back to a normal ISP you can't connect.

They will not let you connect if you use Linux so are forcng your choice of OS. This may not be an issue for most people but for those of us who like choice it is.

Their software is designed to tie you to their service. Try getting all your emails/favourites etc out to import them into something like Firefox/Thunderbird.

I always tell friends, I am happy to help them with any problems with their PCs UNLESS they put an AOL CD in then they are on their own!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 20:25   #14
God Member

As others have said, I really would advise to NOT go with AOL.. they are one of the worst providers ever
However, I also think BT are terrible, and infact, Adsl as a whole is crap due to BT. Dosn't seem to happen to anyone else, but I personaly have had SO many problems with the line, them removing broadband for no reason (even when we are with a different ISP), faults, random adsl link disconnections..

*cries*

NTL *would* have been great, if they hadnt introduced silly 1gig a day caps. I could have handled so much a month, but 1 gig a day is silly as I sometimes download a lot more than a gig a day, other times I use bearly any.. so I can spread things out if the cap is over a month..

Last edited by andrewb; 05-05-2005 at 20:27.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 21:37   #15
Always EVIL within us

I REALLY do not understand why people hate AOL so much. I have been with them for many years and I cannot imagine changing my ISP at any time in the future.

Yes, they do tend to overtake the PC......but I find them unobstrusive and reliable. They offer a really good "home page" with up to date news and streaming new music videos. They supply Mcafee anti-virus and firewall for those too lazy or tight to buy the software, IF they cut you off for whatever reason, they re-connect immediately...even if the user is in bed!

..............and the best thing is that ALL advice is absolutely free and that includes consulting with "experts" on line!

I started with Tiscali and they were absolute rubbish, I then tried "virgin" and spent hours on a premium rate phone number trying to sort out problems.... I dumped virgin and went with AOL and their first job was to go through with me how to get rid of the remnants of virgin which had invaded my machine.....and it didn't cost me a penny!

I now pay £29-99 for a 2MB B/B connection, I know I could get cheaper.....but I am extremely happy with AOL and their services!

For those that are anti-AOL, Please consider that it is the largest (I believe) ISP in the world, and yet one of the most expensive, so to keep their position, they HAVE to be good!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..