Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2007, 00:12   #1
God Member

Bikers

There has been comments made about car drivers of all ages so what about all those born again bikers that jump on modern bikes after 20 years and think that they can handle them? Bikes power has more than likely doubled per cc since they past the test originally and think they can handle them. Yet I havn't seen them needing retests despite the fact they are more likely to be in an accident than older motorists. So is it not time these people were targeted as well.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2007, 00:18   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Bikers

used to get a lift to work in mid 70s on a Kawasaki 1000, have they doubled in cc? as far as re-tests go,it should apply to any bike or car driver if it was going to become the norm.
Old 24-07-2007, 05:10   #3
Senior Member+

i think its about time we all picked on the humble
cyclist slowly meandering along creating havoc
amongst our crazy drivers of all ages sexes
oh and sizes

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 07:27   #4
God Member

Spuggie I agree wholeheartidly. They get 'proper' bikers a bad name, falling off every two minutes

Cashy, your mid 70's 1000cc kwack(z1 by any chance) would do ~120 maybe a bit more, the frame bent like mad when you braked or hit any potholes and the tyres and suspension were from the ark. Todays 1000cc Kwack will wheelie at 130+ top out at 186(300km/hour, gentlemans agreement) do 0-95 in 1st gear and produces ~150bhbp. Tyres, suspension, brakes are in a different universe nowadays to even 15 years ago

I daren't get on one of todays 1000cc sports bikes as I have very little self control when I get going and I'd either be in jail or dead within the hour.

The only thing I will say is that of all classes of motorist, bikers spend a LOT more time analysing their riding and how they can improve than any other group so BABs will quite quickly improve to the point of being competant.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 15:46   #5
God Member

I road motor bikes when younger but wont ride them now because they are too powerful. I see more and more people riding big powerful bikes and they get on the motorway and just open them up like they are invincible. Its bad enough that seasoned bikers suffer because of the ones that are stupid enough to go for it at speed and have accidents. See plenty of tourers on the roads passing through here behaving like they should yet they to suffer because of the minority the same as with cars so maybe its time for a change.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 24-07-2007, 15:49   #6
God Member

I have a T shirt I bought when I was younger, its got a picture of a biker knee down round a bend, hanging off etc. The words "I'm Immortal !!!" in big letters and "Well, so far...." in tiny writing

Sports bikes are fun too, there is no law about how fast you can accelerate you know.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 15:54   #7
God Member

On the M9 I think they forget to stop accelerating and all you see is a black clad body flash past on a 2 wheeled rocket. The bikes may be up to it but is the rider?

Is the T shirt a reminder to stay safe by any chance?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 24-07-2007, 18:23   #8
God Member

I used to ride in the early 80's, back when you could ride a 250cc bike on 'L' plates, but gave it up when I learnt to drive a car.

Six years ago I suddenly had the urge to get back onto two wheels, however after test riding about 4 different bikes I realised that my riding skills were completely out of date, so I decided to take a weeks bike riding course to 'refresh' my technique........What an eye opener that was, and , I have to say the best £250 I have spent, I learnt so much about riding modern bikes on modern tyres as so much had changed!

I am now the proud owner of a Honda CBR 600 and consider myself to be a much better rider than I was all those years ago. IMHO EVERYONE who wishes to get back on to two wheels after such a long break should HAVE to take a refresher course.........it sure as hell worked for me!!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:50   #9
God Member

I think that bikes, like clothes and music, have settled down into age groupings .... crotch rockets for the young, dressers and baggers for guys my age, and if you are in bletween, a sports touring bike. I ride a '78 Yamaha 650 Special; and that is snotty enough for me downtown. If I am slabbing it, or going on a long trip, I ride my 05 Yamaha V-Star Classic ... a fairly sedate old f**t's bike. But I do agree on the refresher course idea. The local community college here has a good one for all levels of skill (or lack of it) for only about $350.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..