Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 18:43   #1
God Member

Biting off more than one can chew.

At the time of opening this thread, a thread I began a while ago concerning Milnshaw Park and its sad and sorry state of decline, has been revived. http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6020

It seemed odd and yet so typical of HBC to read that it would be applying for funding to create new public open spaces and "Wildlife" areas when they cannot afford to adequately maintain the parks they already have responsibility for.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ture_parks.php

I notice from the report quoted above that Milnshaw has been passed over, yet again though Peel Park, The Coppice and Arden Hall are included. Perhaps HBC needs more councilors of the stamp of the estimable Cllr Jones.
Old 02-01-2007, 18:52   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Biting off more than one can chew.

This LNR business is more about wild natural areas than about formal parkland though isn't it?

It's a step or three in the right direction.

I'd like to see the parks improved and some of those students' ideas take shape in the town centre too. We could even have a LNR in the town if HBC got it's act together.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:55   #3
Resting in peace

I think the money is coming from the Lancashire County Council's Small Sites Reclamation Programme, in the the last four years the programme has given £2m to local groups to tackle 200 eyesore sites accros the county. One such site was at the top of Plantation Street, the derilict allotments site, the land was leased to the NHS by Hyndburn Council at a peppercorn rent, the grant awarded to the 'Healthy Heart Team' to create small plots to encourage healthy excercise for those who would not normally be able to manage a nomal sized plot. The cycleway was another one funded from the same scheme. A massive 1,000 acres of land has been spruced up and 273,000 trees planted already. Some of the money has come from the national lottery and such groups, applied for by local groups IE 'Friends Of Arden Hall' who wish to create a wildlife sanctuary on the derilict site of the old Arden Hall. It is hoped that by improving these derelict sites, new businesess will be attracted to the area's, some that were scarred by industrial decline and were so ugly economic experts feared they were driving away new jobs by deterring inward investment.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 03-01-2007 at 02:05.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:00   #4
Resident Waffler

There's one of those Healthy Heart Team allotments up Miller Fold too. They take one allotment and divide it into smaller more manageable plots for individuals to work on.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:52   #5
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
There's one of those Healthy Heart Team allotments up Miller Fold too. They take one allotment and divide it into smaller more manageable plots for individuals to work on.
Quite correct Willow, I used to have a large allotment at Steiner View but I had to give it up when I had Colon cancer in 2005, They gave me a plot at Clarenden St (Plantation St) belonging to the NHS Healthy Heart Team, the site was derelict before they spruced it up. The work was carried out using reclamed materials plastic, topsoil from the tip and some labour from the job start programme, this was I thought a worthwhile project.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 03-01-2007 at 09:59.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..