Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 02:32   #1
God Member

Boring Accy

Got to say Accy has got so boring.. Big Mill shut down in th' 70's and bakery on th' Nuttall street , nowt goin on in th' town center.. god help us when th' pound shops shut down!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2006, 09:15   #2
God Member

Re: Boring Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
Got to say Accy has got so boring.. Big Mill shut down in th' 70's and bakery on th' Nuttall street , nowt goin on in th' town center.. god help us when th' pound shops shut down!
Its heading the way of a ghost town is that what you are implying? For a market town its definately in trouble but maybe just maybe it can pull itself round and become what it was. With a bit of TLC you never know it could recover and thrive again without all the pound shops.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 23:37   #3

yes i quite agree it seems that way to me
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:55   #4
Junior Member+

awww i thought it was very nice! i loved walking to the downtown part and i thought the market was nice. i went to a great little guitar store down there. and took my b/f's dog for a walk in a big open area full of trees and fields. i was impressed with the place...oh!~ and the pubs!
i come from a dry county so it was really nice to sit and have a drink.

okies i'll shush
Old 04-09-2006, 06:59   #5

Me and my dad used to run a stall on Accy Market, unfortunately we closed down just over a year ago. Business is dying a long and painful death on that market. Shame cos it used to be booming.
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:37   #6
Resident Waffler

What was your stall Kisser? Accy market used to be brilliant but it's not a pacth on what it was now.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:43   #7

It was Charlies Video Classics, we sold films on VHS and DVD. You could buy them second hand then bring them back and swap em when you were finished with them. We were on the inside market, where Custard Cube is now.

But with the 'developments' in Accy town centre, esp the bus station it really stopped the regulars, a lot of our customers were elderly and relied on the busses. Then of course the development of the internet and free downloads really put an end to it all. Dont ever offer a copied DVD to me, or you will definately get a piece of my mind

Very sad. I loved it on Accy Market, a really good atmosphere and friendly banter between all the stall holders. You'll now find me on the biscuit stall, just a volunteer mind Miss my time down on the market.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:56   #8
Resident Waffler

Oh, like the book stall does. Yes I remember. Mind you, I never take things back to change them. I just keep them forever!

Last time I was in the market hall I noticed Dragon's Lair had gone too. That was a bit of a shock as it hadn't been there long. I liked that stall.

We used to rent videos from Ken Cleggs in the early days. We had a V2000! His was one of the few places that had the films for rent on V2000.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:25   #9
God Member

Seems as though the oomph has gone out of the market and the market hall. I loved it when I worked on the market with its atmosphere and joviality. Everyone helped everyone else. Now its a shadow dieing a lingering death with little or no chance of recovery.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 08:28   #10

Which stall were you on Spuggie and when?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:30   #11
God Member

Worked on Joes fruit and veg and then with Barry Walker and that was in the mid 80's. Loved it.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:37   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser

You'll now find me on the biscuit stall, just a volunteer mind Miss my time down on the market.
Poor John

Accrington is in decline The decent shops are forced into closer and we are just becoming a clone town of pound and charity shops with nothing to offer, why would people want to come to Accrington when there are better places not far away..

We may have a cinema/bowling, but its second rate to everywhere else.

Last edited by andrewb; 04-09-2006 at 10:45.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 16:42   #13

Yes, I agree, I was over last year and did not like the new outside market, I remember when I was little the market used to be were the bus station was, now its back to the beginning. I used to work on saturdays on the outside market with my mum on Seddons Barbecue Chickens, we used to have great fun with the local's, and it was very lively and friendly. Now its pretty boring and desolate looking.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41   #14
Junior Member+

it is a shame, when i was younger accy market was the business, the fruit and veg girls were all fit, and (i think it was Cliff) sold cheap jeans, i had a job in Fosters selling clothes(think it is now a pound shop). I was down yesterday... had a gregs steak slice and ate it whilst listening to this girl screaming at her kids??? market stalls are just a joke and i couldn't believe the cr4p for sale..

there must be an answer.. the council must be able to offer incentives for descent shops not just games shops .. poundlands and charity shops. i would open a shop down there if i thought there would be any chance i would get quality descent customers wanting a quality product and not just teenage chavs with £2 on them trying to see what they can get away with.

i said to my wife last night after watching a short film about the 1960's i feel the sense of community has been removed and replaced with people which just dont care. why has this happened & how can we change it...?? ultimatley i feel it is down to community!
Th3daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:43   #15
Junior Member+

it is a shame, when i was younger accy market was the business, the fruit and veg girls were all fit, and (i think it was Cliff) sold cheap jeans, i had a job in Fosters selling clothes(think it is now a pound shop). I was down yesterday... had a gregs steak slice and ate it whilst listening to this girl screaming at her kids??? market stalls are just a joke and i couldn't believe the cr4p for sale..

there must be an answer.. the council must be able to offer incentives for descent shops not just games shops .. poundlands and charity shops. i would open a shop down there if i thought there would be any chance i would get quality descent customers wanting a quality product and not just teenage chavs with £2 on them trying to see what they can get away with.

i said to my wife last night after watching a short film about the 1960's i feel the sense of community has been removed and replaced with people which just dont care. why has this happened & how can we change it...?? ultimatley i feel it is down to community!
Th3daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..