Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2005, 21:26   #1
God Member

Born again????

I am, at the moment, having my senses ravished by Sir Charles Mackerras' interpretation of Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier. Is there any more sublime moment in music than the second act trio? I don't think so.

Anyway, it got me thinking, as you do, and as I was wandering along memory lane it occured to me that I must have lived before. And not only that, I am half convinced that I lived in Vienna. You will say that I am mad or have had far more gin than is perhaps good for me, and were I you I would probably say the same thing...except....except for a rather odd ocurrance.

It happened that, some years ago, I concieved a longing to travel. Having just completed my degree and being of that sort of footloose age I packed a few belongings and my passport and off I went, just like that! No preparation or planning. The vaguest smattering of German and French and my wits was all I had. I first tried Paris for a couple of months and hated it. I could not get out of there quickly enough. Nice city, but criminally wasted on the French! Desparation made me hop on the first train out of the Gare de l'Est and it was only as we reached the Franco- German border at Strasbourg that I discovered that I was on my way to Vienna!

The train journey took all day and most of the evening and I ended up in Vienna in the middle of a summer thunderstorm at ten-thirty on a Sunday evening. Vienna, tired of waiting for me, had already gone to bed.

Most people would panic at being disgorged, alone, into a foreign city at that time of night. I, on the other hand, felt anything but panic! One of the strangest feelings came over me. I knew exactly where I was. I did not need a map and did not consult one. I stepped into the quiet streets with as much confidence, nay more, as I would into the streeets of Accrington. I knew where I was and where I was going! And within minutes I was checking into an hotel. I later discovered that arriving, as I did, in the middle of the annual Vienna Festival I would have been lucky to find a park bench for the night much less a hotel room.

I stayed in Vienna for six months, and fell in love with the place. But it was a familiar, comfortable, easy love, sort of like meeting an old lover after a considerable interval of time. There were many instances of this feeling of ...what...deja-vu in the succeding months. And I do not think that I have ever felt more at home anywhere than I did in Vienna. There were two streets which seemed to fill me with a gentle melancholy whenever I felt drawn to walk along them; Kartnerstrasse and Furstengasse. Odd streets, There was meaning of a sort there but, I think that I was not yet ready to contemplate it.

Anyway, that is part of my story. Does anyone else have a similar story to relate? Has anyone been hypnotically regressed? Or perhaps someone would like to subject my tale to freudian analysis?????

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 16-11-2005 at 20:57.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2005, 22:22   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Born again????

AB as a man of letters and from what I gather from the website a man of books too try Many Lives Many Masters by Brian L Weiss, The true story of a prominent Psychiatrist, his young pattient and past life therapy that changed both their lives.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2005, 23:10   #3
Give, give, give member

I happened to see the film 'Letter From An Unknown Woman' on BBC2 yesterday afternoon.

The film was set in Vienna and starred Joan Fontaine. Something about her charm and winsomeness did remind me of you.

Perhaps it wasn't Vienna where you used to live but Pinewood.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 11:56   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I stayed in Vienna for six months, and fell in love with the place. But it was a familiar, comfortable, easy love, sort of like meeting an old lover after a considerable interval of time. There were many instances of this feeling of ...what...deja-vu in the succeding months. And I do not think that I have ever felt more at home anywhere than I did in Vienna. There were two streets which seemed to fill me with a gentle melancholy whenever I felt drawn to walk along them; Kartnerstasse and Furstengasse. Odd streets, There was meaning of a sort there but, I think that I was not yet ready to contemplate it.
Hey A-B......do you, by any chance, sport a little toothbrush moustache? Its just that Hitler stayed in Vienna for 6 months & fell in love with the place and look what happened to him.....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 20:07   #5
God Member

Funnily enough, I was able to stand in the very same spot, on the balcony of the Hofburg, where Hitler received the adulation of the people of Vienna following the Anschluss; a very creepy feeling. There are quite a few grim architectural reminders of that period dotted around the city.
Old 16-11-2005, 20:45   #6

When are we going to get the rest of the story? I have already felt compelled to purchase the book, which Bazf recommended, from Amazon.com. Give us a few more insights into this story please!

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 21:24   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

I'm what you would call "musical". I play piano (very badly, I'm afraid) and I used to sing - Folk, Jazz, Blues and Operetta, and in public too. I come from a musical family, with a dad who was a semi-pro dance band drummer and a mum who was a pianist.

I love all kinds of music, from classical to Rock'n'Roll but my great love is the music of the 20s and 30s. I'm devoted to Glenn Miller and, somehow, the music "speaks to me" like no other.

Now to the point. There is one thing on TV or films that I can't bear to watch. It's the sight of a ship sinking. There used, many years ago, to be a TV series called "Victory at Sea" which was all about the role of the Royal Navy and the German Navy during WW2. Whenever they showed a clip of a ship going down prow first, with the screw up out of the water, I was consumed with absolute horror. It's a sight that really chills me.

My younger daughter has a theory about all this. She is convinced I had a previous life, that I was drowned during the war and the last thing I saw was my ship going down. Fanciful? Probably, but it might just possibly explain why as a very small child, I used to have nightmares of aeroplanes sillhouetted overhead, against a dark sky, and would wake up screaming.

Was I on a ship that was bombed? Was I a young person in the 1930s? I certainly often feel a "nostalgia" for an era I never knew in this life.

I rule nothing out.
Old 17-11-2005, 00:13   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
When are we going to get the rest of the story? I have already felt compelled to purchase the book, which Bazf recommended, from Amazon.com. Give us a few more insights into this story please!
John, its a compelling book, the guy does regression therapy and puts the person under and she goes back in time, sometimes as a women sometimes as a man and the basis is that we learn something and then move on to the next life and so on untill we accomplish everything, whenever or where ever that maybe. Highly recommended.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2005, 08:24   #9
God Member

Googled Many Lives Many Masters by Brian L Weiss and was suprised to find it was published in 88 yet seems to be what I have gleaned to be worth read. Guy seems to know his subject so shouldnt be too "outlandish" and even though its not
my usual literature I am willing to expand my mind a little.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2005, 08:45   #10
Give, give, give member

88?

1988, 1888, 1788, 1688?

Spookey.

Old 17-11-2005, 08:51   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
88?

1988, 1888, 1788, 1688?

Spookey.
2088 - then your talking spooky
Old 17-11-2005, 08:54   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
2088 - then your talking spooky
It would. A book about regression that means we are actually living in the past. Where are we? What year is it? Are we all just in somebodies in the futures dream?

In that case please wake them up, I wanna get off.

Old 17-11-2005, 09:04   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Question Re: Born again????

its a very wierd subject regression! never thought i was anyone else in a past life, but i arrived in rotterdam in 1969 on my own and knew my way around it, had no maps or street plan,thought it was very wierd(put it down to the illegal substances at the time)lol but now i'm older NOT wiser (lol) this threads give me cause to reflect, and i'm certainly no nearer how/why i walked around a big/strange city as if i'd lived there all my life.????

Last edited by cashman; 17-11-2005 at 14:21.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2005, 09:22   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
88?

1988, 1888, 1788, 1688?

Spookey.
1988 Many Lives Many Masters by Brian L Weiss BOOK PUBLISHED, 1888 CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB FORMED, 1788 Henry Benedict Stuart becomes the new Stuart claimant to the throne of Great Britain as King as King Charles IX and the figurehead of Jacobitism, 1688 LAST CATHOLIC MONARCH OF GREAT BRITAIN EXILED JAMES II AND VII

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2005, 09:25   #15
Give, give, give member

1288 B.C. Queen Rindy watches all her subjects dance round her, inside the stone circle.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..