Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2004, 13:26   #1

Question britains new elite (juvenile delinquents)

what does today's older generation think of today's youths? It's seem that they are giving some of us a bad name. and why does society never do anything about them?
Old 21-12-2004, 14:35   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: britains new elite (juvenile delinquents)

Hello Kelly, welcome to Accyweb. Nothing has changed over the years, in the 60s/70s there were the Mods and Rockers and the Punks, and other various groups of people that we used to identify ourselves with and there still are right up to the present day. I'm 53 in March and I still can't understand why people look down their noses at others who are "different" than themselves, maybe they are seeking a reaction from the individual or are scared, I just don't know, I guess I am lucky to be in the non category of being myself, what you see is what you get etc.. I agree with you on the point of respect and I think we should all accept each others looks as being a variation of the human form whatever that person is dressed or not dressed in. I wish you luck with your writing and poetry Kelly, and also in your choice of career I wish you success and happiness. Ernie...
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 16:12   #3
Member.

Nicely put Ernie, I’m 45 now and I totally agree with your sentiment. Kelly if people can’t accept how others are then that’s their problem, as long as you treat others with respect that’s all that matters, let them become the misfits……Again let me echo Erine's sentiment, I wish you the best of luck with your writing.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 21-12-2004 at 16:14.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 17:31   #4
Resident Waffler

I think it's the same in all generations, the young cannot be lumped together as one group. There have always been those who cause trouble and are seen by some as a representative of the whole.

The problem we are faced with now is that not much can be done to punish those who give the youth of today a bad name, which sadly then reflects on all.

Lampman brough the question up some time ago and we had a very heated debate. Perhaps re-reading that thread if somebody could find it will prevent a repeat of the rising of unnecessary hackles.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 17:35   #5
Len
God Member

Its here I found it. lol.

Young people today

Well, I hope this is the one.

Last edited by Len; 21-12-2004 at 17:38.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 17:44   #6

yeah thanks guys. I was just curious as it seems that the majority of todays youths are foul mouthed 'chavs' (or maybe it's the minority, i'm not saying everyone is the same though) Term 'chav' probably replacing the word 'yob' I just think some people need to learn a little respect among society (but who am I to teach them)
Old 21-12-2004, 18:00   #7

the term chav can also mean just someone who dresses in tracky bottoms and stripey jumpers tracky bottoms tucked into socks etc and it seems it todays fashion for teens personally i think it comes with being spoilt brats as kids and parents letting them get away with what they want also teachers dont seem to have much control . i went to mount carmel when the nuns still taught there and they scared the hell out of me dont think half of em knew how to smile and they didnt think twice to give you a slap . growing up in ossy the worst of the teens seemed to come from either rough estates as in fern gore or spring hill where there parents probably didnt know or bother what they was up to or knuzden where all parents think the sun shines out of there kids behinds and cant do anything wrong as proved a few times in the local papers where they ve been in trouble yet there parents try and make them out to be angels the best way to sort these out is bring conscription back at 16
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 18:11   #8
Resident Waffler

Actually black-flights as one of today's youth yourself you could teach by example. At least then people would see that there are good as well as bad. We probably hear more about the bad.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 19:13   #9
Beacon of light

I too, find that some of the young people today are courteous and respectful.....what i find hard to bear are the ones who use the F word in normal conversation, the ones who are intimidating just by their behaviour and the ones who do not respect either themselves or others......and treat other peoples property with disdain..... but you can't lump them all together and ASSUME they are all the same.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 19:49   #10

the sad thing is that the majority of kids and teens today think it is cool to be like that and they know they can get away with it . Im pretty sure that kids playing truant gets there parents a fine yet most days of the week theres kids hanging round near my works so either this law is a joke or there parents are loaded as i see the same ones over and over again .Also you only need to look in the before the bench in the observer how many times does the same name appear yet its always the same a thirty pound fine which they probably wont have to pay as they dont work the main fact of the matter is this country has fallen apart it isnt a shadow of what it used to be and the end came after thatcher
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 05:18   #11

Quote:
the main fact of the matter is this country has fallen apart it isnt a shadow of what it used to be and the end came after thatcher
That is the main reason I don't want to return to the UK to live.

The "Extremely Bad Examples" set by almost all prominent people, leads to a COULDN'T CARE LESS ATTITUDE...and thereby the demise of a once caring and reasonable society.

Blaming the young is no answer, and only reflects on the bad example set by the older generation, including our so-called leaders. The media assists the downfall by puting rotten apples up on the shelf as "the example" and makes light of the truth. The legal profession (parasites), is the most greedy and self sanctimonious arm of a very ugly trend, and the results are clearly for all to see, every day.

Human rights are intended to be a level for the protection of our society. But there's no rights without responsibilities...but you never, never, hear a pollie or a lawyer propounding the need for responsibilities!...only rights!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 06:45   #12
God Member

I have been through the "rebelling aginst my parents standards" thing. I thought at the time that dressing first in imitation of David Bowie and later as a Punk was an essential part of the expression of my individuality. It is something that we all feel the need to do at that age. It is an essential part of cultural development and most of us eventually grow out of it. I cringe now when I think of the things that I wore then and can only listen to a lot of the music from that era when I am certain that I am alone. So I am no stranger to the extreme dictates of fashion - when you have been out on a night in town dressed in a black bin bag, and still managed to return home with your street cred intact there is little that the youth of today choose to wear that can surprise or give offense. My point is that it does not really make any difference what a person chooses to wear or how ridiculous or outrageous they appear, so much is merely fashion and fashion as most of us are aware is ephemeral. It is what is what is beneath the surface of the uniform that is important.

I agree that the majority of young people have their heads and their hearts in the right place, and will grow up to be valuable members of the community who will one day, like me, look back on the excesses of their youth and cringe in knicker-wetting embarassment. However there is and always has been a minority that will not. This minority have, for one reason or another, no appreciation or understanding of the rules that bind society together, for whom cultural development ceases in their mid teens. The truly despiriting thing is to see that this minority is growing day by day.

This is encouraged by a youth obsessed media. Anyone who tells you that television does not influence children is talking out of their backsides and deserves to have their research grant taken away. All Ideas are pervasive, cultural ideas more so, there is no more effective way of promulgating ideas than to serve them up to the minds of the young, which are not yet fully formed. Why do you think that the government has only just gotten round to banning certain types of advertising aimed at children?
Old 22-12-2004, 06:55   #13
God Member

Another interesting point is that at seventeen I could not have written my last post in this thread.
Old 22-12-2004, 07:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Another interesting point is that at seventeen I could not have written my last post in this thread.
At 17 I probably wouldn't have understood it
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 07:43   #15
God Member

Quite so Darby, I'm struggling even now!Ha Ha.

But the other thing that people seem to have forgotten is that Goebbels, the Arch Propagandist of Hitler's government, knew the value and the power of the media to change opinion and behaviour seventy five years ago. Why should we think that this power has diminished in the intervening years. And should it not give us all cause for concern that such a powerful force for change is directed at our children?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..