Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2005, 15:19   #1
I am Banned

Britains Youngest Councillor

see below....

Last edited by Graham Jones; 19-03-2005 at 07:33.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2005, 15:33   #2
I am Banned

Re: Britains Youngest Councillor

BLOODY HELL, THOSE LITTLE BOXES TO TYPE IN.... SHOULD READ....

Last night [Thurs] the Labour Party won the Rishton by-election, the Conservatives second safest seat [after Baxenden] in Hyndburn at the last May local elections by just 3 votes after several recounts, electing in the process Britains youngest Councillor.

There was a large 8% swing from the Conservatives who polled 61% in May but only 45% last night to the Lib Dems and Labour. Labour's victory overturning a 400 vote defeat 10 months previous. [Put in perspective Labour safest seat has a winning margin of 400 and would be described at the moment as 'statistically unloseable']

The result was
Bill Greene Lib Dem 139
Claire Hamilton Labour 759
Stan Horne Con 756

turnout 32.5% [historically good for a local by-election]

It was an extra special night that produced 2 hours of high drama & tension in the old church hall at St Peters. The room full of councillors from either side with hopes and expectations. Given the state of the Borough the stakes are so much higher.

It all strated very badly for Labour, the first box opened included the votes of the Esplanade and Blackburn Road area and was predominently Conservative. The first news had 350 Con to 100 Lab and everything looked desperately gloomy. Labour downbeat, Conservatives upbeat. Enter the Leader of the Council Peter Britcliffe at this stage, all smiles and happpiness alongside the candidate to join the 20 odd councillors present, the Tory general election candidate and others of one persuasion or another.

The second box from below the Bridge was mostly Labour, but at 450 Con 350 Labour it still seemed odds on the usual Conservative win. As the third box from Station Rd and around the golf club was opened the unbelievable happened and it was 650 650, neck and neck.

By the last vote it 750 750 in piles of 50's, but no one knew how many were in the last pile for each party. Labour by 6, Conservatives by 20, Labour by 10 Conservatives by 5. A lot of fingernail chewing.

A recount was ordered producing one extra Labour vote and two extra Conservative votes. Candidates were whisked away to be spoken to quietly by election officers, the Labour candidate looked gloomy and the Conservative happy.

Another recount was asked with whispers of a Labour majority of just 3. The Lib Dem votes were rechecked.

As the last recount was taken, no new votes were being found and it was just left to returning officer to announce the result to a very loud cheer and to make that historical announcement. The youngest councillor in Britain has just been elected to Hyndburn Borough Council. Good luck Claire!

The Council is now 19 Con 16 Labour

Last edited by Graham Jones; 19-03-2005 at 07:47.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 16:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
turnout about 34%
I find it rather difficult to understand the apathy of the general public pertaining to participation in the election process. If your experience is anything like what we have, the vast majority of the complaining about the state of government affairs will be done by the missing 66% who couldn't be bothered to join in.
MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 16:20   #4
Senior Member+

Oh great a world of experience, how can you vote for someone who has no clue, so next on the ballot at this weeks meeting brought up by our newest member is " lets not work on Fridays as I have to get ready to go out"

Congratulations to the Labor party any win is good but lets look at who stands.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 16:30   #5

I'll be voting Labour when they call the eletion,but I'll tell all people your vote matters! so weather your Lab Tory Lib dem Looney Green UKIP etc etc make the effort to vote,if you don't your letting down people who died and sufferd to give us that right,three votes is still a win!!!

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 17:01   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Oh great a world of experience, how can you vote for someone who has no clue, so next on the ballot at this weeks meeting brought up by our newest member is " lets not work on Fridays as I have to get ready to go out"
Lets give her a chance - you might be surprised. A lot of the older Cllr's are out of touch with reality anyway.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 17:12   #7
God Member

The fact that I find most peculiar is that she is a student of Sociology and Management (2 contradictory disiplines if ever there were). What on earth does a 21 year want to go and put herself in a position where she is attending lectures and seminars during the day and then Council and commitee meetings all evening? In my day no self respectng student would get out of bed before midday and would then spend the hours of 5pm to 2 am, everyday, on the ****.

What does this young girl think she's playing at?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 17:41   #8
Senior Member+

I didn't say not to give her a chance I ment that she has no experience about life, does she have to find a mortgage every month? has she lived in an area of abject pverty or know someone who has? has she actually debated an experienced council member on topics such as road improvements,housing,what to put on the coppice etc... more then likely not, and she has to attend collage/University, so the council is a part time job or is she going to be available to answer questions when members of her ward call ,as long as shes not in class or has an exam or other things students do.

Old 18-03-2005, 17:55   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
has she actually debated an experienced council member on topics such as road improvements,housing,what to put on the coppice etc... more then likely not
I would not be surprised if she can debate rings around most of Hyndburns Cllr's.
If you want proof of this just attend a few area council meetings, I have. What a joke. They are every 3 months ish. They decide on nothing and give each over months and months to actually come up with any ideas to problems.

They have two uses - to see what mad ideas the council are coming up with and to assist you in deciding who not to vote for.
Old 18-03-2005, 17:57   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Now look what you made me do. I am defending a Cllr again. Where did I put those big blue pills that calm me down?
Old 18-03-2005, 18:04   #11
Senior Member+

I see that the two existing labour Cllr's actually live in Rishton, the area they represent. The new labour Cllr lives in clayton-le-moors, was there no one from the labour party living in rishton suitable. I know it's not a million miles away, but it's always nice to be represented by someone living in the local area, someone aware of the local problems, such as Graham Jones who represents Peel ward.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 18:52   #12
Senior Member+

It just reminds of the Blackadder sketch where Pitt the younger is made PM.

Old 18-03-2005, 19:34   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
It just reminds of the Blackadder sketch where Pitt the younger is made PM.
Never a truer word could be spoken in jest, you never know

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 19:43   #14
Give, give, give member

Good for her, it's great to see younger people taking an interest in politics again after years of apathy.

Pushed through my slot this morning Consevative parlimentary candidate James Mawdsleys blurb. lnteresting to see he was photographed with the right wing Catholic anti-abortion posse. So thats the Human Rights he was trying to bring into Burma for which he was imprisoned!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 20:21   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I saved the Tories a fortune in printing by posting that twoddle on this forum.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..