Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 20:33   #1
I am Banned

broadway

is it me or are they building a road through broadway again...?

yeah i know they are not but the last time i saw the progress it looked as though they were putting kerbs down :-)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2005, 20:49   #2
God Member

Question Re: broadway

Well their doing something not sure what though (bit like the roads department). Rumour has it it was not starting until next month.
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 22:15   #3
Resident Waffler

Re: broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Well their doing something .
Every time I look nobody seems to be doing anything! It's going to take forever at this rate.

I think those "kerbstones" mark the join between two different "materials" but the reason for it is beyond me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 22:49   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

had me beat when i saw it at dinner lol
Old 03-08-2005, 23:02   #5
I am Banned

perhaps they are moving from slippy cobbles to kirbs for the elderly and infirm to fall over
Old 03-08-2005, 23:13   #6
Member.

Does anyone have a set of photographs of Broadway through its history, I ask this not just out of interest of seeing the comparisons, but also because if memory serves me right it’s been a constantly changing theme that every couple of generations they devastate the place? I think it’s hey day was the sunken gardens…………..?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 00:38   #7
I am Banned

heres two i repeat heres two becaus i hadnt used enough words to make my post :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broadwaygilbert.jpg (32.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg construction of broadway.jpg (41.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-08-2005, 06:49   #8
God Member

Every time I've walked past there hasn't beenanyone working on it. Why start digging it up if you aren't going to get stuck in?

It just makes teh place look even more unappealing than it did(if that was possible)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:47   #9
I am Banned

another thing about this whole mess is that there is a hidden expense that we will all probably end up paying for

because of the way they have cordened off broadway it has redirected people away from poundland , music shop and game

HBC will probably have to compensate these shops because of their loss of trade as i know one of the shops has had a severe drop in takings while their rivals across the road where the pedestrians are not diverted away from them have had a huge increase in trade

it will be interesting to see how much of our money gets spent compensating buisnesses if any at all due to their lack of planning

Last edited by chav1; 04-08-2005 at 09:53.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:28   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Chav1, is the second of your images an artists impression of how Broadway will look after they've finished this time?

Last edited by Less; 04-08-2005 at 10:29.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:52   #11
Resident Waffler

I can't understand why they had to cut off those shops like that yet thy left a huge gap in the middle.

The sheer lack of action is unbelievable though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:15   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Chav1, is the second of your images an artists impression of how Broadway will look after they've finished this time?
its actualy taken from when british builders knew how to construct things and wernt afraid of a days work

but i do see your point lol
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
its actualy taken from when british builders knew how to construct things and wernt afraid of a days work

but i do see your point lol
Most of them were probably Irish navvies though, backbone of the British Empire.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:30   #14
Give, give, give member

Whatever it looks like when they eventually finish, what I hate about Broadway is the horrible 60's blue and white upper frontage above the shops opposite Woolies/ Marks, part of which is council offices still.

It is the worst example of modernism, and is in an appalling state of repair. Even when Broadway is finished this is going to let things down. Even if they just changed the blue for a more neutral colour it would look better, and wouldn't cost that much.

Even stone cladding in this case would be an improvement.

Last edited by garinda; 04-08-2005 at 15:17.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 13:39   #15
I am Banned

from what i can tell so far we are going to have a mixture of tarmac , flags and the old cobbles as it seems they are leaving the orange cobbles upto the arndale where they are

i know that part isnt classed as broadway but it will look odd next to the new stuff

maybe those who bought the arndale for 72 million should be told to put their hands a little deeper into their pockets and keep the front of their building in keeping with broadway

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..