Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2006, 11:50   #1
God Member

Broadway - The final installment?

Just been for a short wander round town. They have been paving over that horrible black tarmac that was outside teh blue and white town hall so it matches the rest. Perhaps someone is reading Accyweb after all.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2006, 11:59   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Broadway - The final installment?

Just back myself. To give them their dues they did say that the work would be finished after Christmas.

Didn't fancy a sit on the stainless steel benches though. Even thoough it hasn't rained for hour, the seats of the benches were wet through. Good design- NOT.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 12:03   #3
Resident Waffler

I bet they get a bit warm on a sunny day too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 12:24   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Just back myself. To give them their dues they did say that the work would be finished after Christmas.

Didn't fancy a sit on the stainless steel benches though. Even thoough it hasn't rained for hour, the seats of the benches were wet through. Good design- NOT.
Good job it wasnt very cold your arther might have stuck to it if you parked yourself on one.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 16:01   #5
God Member

I think they're there for looks not for practicality - freeze your bum in winter burn your bum in summer!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 16:14   #6
God Member

I wonder how long it will be before British Gas or similar have the entire road dug up for a new pipe or cable?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 16:32   #7

There are still a lot of puddles though!!!!! All that money and you would think they wouold make it so the water drains away!!!
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 16:52   #8
God Member

Quote:

Errrmmm, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Idiot-in-Chief promise that the work would be completed in time for Christmas 2005, not 2006?
Old 19-01-2006, 17:15   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Errrmmm, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Idiot-in-Chief promise that the work would be completed in time for Christmas 2005, not 2006?
He did my dear A-b, but at the 'grand unveiling' before Christmas, he did made the excuse in the press that 'snagging', i.e. getting the thing finished after it was supposed to be, would happen in the new year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 17:28   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
'snagging'
I have come to learn that the word snagging is used in the building trade. It means repairing the fluf up's they made when they did the job the first time. I don't think they have heard of "right first time".
Old 19-01-2006, 18:36   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
I think they're there for looks not for practicality - freeze your bum in winter burn your bum in summer!
Handy in summer for making bacon and eggs.
Useful in winter for keeping the drinks cold.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 10:59   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I have come to learn that the word snagging is used in the building trade. It means repairing the fluf up's they made when they did the job the first time. I don't think they have heard of "right first time".
It means bodging up the fk ups that they couldn't be bothered to get right in the first place. It's usually too late to do the job properly by the time snagging is done. WHY can't it be done right the first time, WHY don't british workers take pride in their work anymore, WHY am i told i'm too slow too fussy and too picky. YET i don't have to have a snag team spending a day or two going over my work bodging it to make it like like it's half decent.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 11:02   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
I think they're there for looks not for practicality
Both I think. They look fairly vandel resistant and easy to clean when some **** does deside to paint them or whatever. You can't burn them like wood or those horrible plastic ones.
Old 22-01-2006, 12:34   #14
God Member

They aren't as bad as you think, they have them in the next town, nuneaton. modern street furniture can look right and practical, if it's in the right place. I take it accy has decided on a modern theme.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 19:13   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
outside teh blue and white town hall
Sorry for quoting you Ian but I have heard so much about the blue and white Town Hall but, I have not heard anybody complaining about the horrible yellow and white mess above Woolworths. It is the same coloured square theme as the Town Hall but yellow instead of blue.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..