Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2004, 15:53   #1
God Member

Burnley aren't backward at coming forward!

There were two surprise announcements in the local paper this week, and it's only Wednesday. Burnley is to get a whopping £158 MILLION to revamp the Weavers Triangle. Good news for Burnley, but there is more! Today it was announced that a further £55 MILLION was to be spent on a new retail development for the Town Centre. A total of £213 MILLION in new investment all in the space of a week. This comes on top of a very successful retail development by Sainsbury's and a new Town Centre multilevel Car Park and a brand spanking new Bus Station.

And there is poor Mr. Rix who cannot even manage to get his hands on a couple of hundred thousand to help the traders in Clayton.

There is something seriously, sadly, wrong with HBC.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2004, 15:59   #2
God Member

Re: Burnley aren't backward at coming forward!

Oh and I forgot there is also god knows how many millions waiting for them to tear down and rebuild all their schools with. Do you ever feel like the poor relation?
Old 28-07-2004, 19:32   #3

I`m glad i dont come from burnley they have other problems. And improving shopping centres wont solve that. Although i am dissapointed at this huge investment for them.
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 09:42   #4

I live in Burnley and I'm absolutely disgusted. What is the point of spending all that money on a bloody shopping centre when there are thousands of people who live here who can't even afford to pay their council tax?
Someone in the planning department must have gone mental or something. The area they are planning to build on (the Standish street area) has already been turned into quite a decent little shopping area with all sorts of shops catering for almost every taste concievable. This has took quite a bit of investment, from the council and from the shop owners themselves, and now they are on about throwing all that investment down the drain.
Old 29-07-2004, 13:47   #5

They should cancel the investment then and call off the further improvements simply because who would spend money if like you say people struggle to pay council tax.
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004, 17:01   #6
God Member

Do we remember the long post the other day by 'Someone' regarding Ambition Lancashire? I believe that the reasoning behind this development is contained in that report. Read it, if you can bear to, you might be surprised at what else is on the drawing board.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25   #7

Ditto!
Its pathetic, all they want to do is make more shops to get more people to come shopping.
They will have nowhere to park & will not bother coming back.

The residents will lose even more as less funds will be available for other local use.
Some local shops that are to be knocked down are likely to just give up & leave rather than pay high rates for new premises.

I want to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazi Washboard
I live in Burnley and I'm absolutely disgusted. What is the point of spending all that money on a bloody shopping centre when there are thousands of people who live here who can't even afford to pay their council tax?
Someone in the planning department must have gone mental or something. The area they are planning to build on (the Standish street area) has already been turned into quite a decent little shopping area with all sorts of shops catering for almost every taste concievable. This has took quite a bit of investment, from the council and from the shop owners themselves, and now they are on about throwing all that investment down the drain.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:09   #8
Senior Member+

we have done well in Hyndburn for school building every school I drive past has had some work done on it over the last year or so.

loweiy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..