Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 12:37   #1
ged

Angry Bus accident in Accrington

i was just saying to my wife how buses come past the town hall at such a fast speed towards the bus station its a wonder no-one has been killed, today a gentlemen was hit by one of these buses, it's about time these buses were made to slow down instead of thinking they own the roads.
ged is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2005, 12:55   #2
God Member

Re: Bus accident in Accrington

Not again - is the gentleman OK?
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 13:02   #3

Lets Face It Yes The Buses Are Bad But Not As Bad As The Taxis (((( Both On And Off Duty))))
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 13:07   #4
God Member

Lets face it it is everyone that drives for a living that think that they have a god given right to do what they want on the roads.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 15:37   #5
Resident Waffler

It's not everyone who drives for a living who acts as if they think that. There are just an awful lot of idiots out there but anyone who drives a public vehicle has extra responsibility.

Not having witnessed the accident I wouldn't like to presume who was at fault either, no doubt there were enough witnesses on or off the bus for that to be clarified.

Does anyone know how badly hurt the man was?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 10-02-2005 at 16:12. Reason: typo
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 16:23   #6
Full Member+

Unhappy Re: Bus accident in Accrington

It`s been coming for a long time, either open it up to all or close it off to all. No doubt Britcliffe will be ringing his hands in the press, but will he DO anything/
Old 10-02-2005, 16:34   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It's not everyone who drives for a living who acts as if they think that. There are just an awful lot of idiots out there but anyone who drives a public vehicle has extra responsibility.

Not having witnessed the accident I wouldn't like to presume who was at fault either, no doubt there were enough witnesses on or off the bus for that to be clarified.

Does anyone know how badly hurt the man was?
it dosnt matter what happened its always the drivers fault and i agree with that in full unless of course a person deliberatly throws themselves under a car or somthing

when in control of a vehicle you are supposed to be aware of your surroundings so hitting someone is inexcusable as it means you were either not paying attention to your surroundings or driving too fast

there should be always be a jail sentece for people who kill while in control of a car unless the person who was killed deliberatly threw themselves under it

how many familys no longer have children or parents because some idiot was eather not paying attention or driving too fast

3 points and a £100 fine dont bring dead people back

Last edited by chav1; 10-02-2005 at 16:36.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 17:28   #8
ged

Unhappy Re: Bus accident in Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad
Not again - is the gentleman OK?
IM NOT SURE IF HE IS OK OR NOT HIS LEG LOOKED BROKE IT WAS BENT RIGHT BACK
Old 10-02-2005, 17:29   #9
ged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Lets Face It Yes The Buses Are Bad But Not As Bad As The Taxis (((( Both On And Off Duty))))
YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT THERE JUST AS BAD
Old 10-02-2005, 17:33   #10
ged

Angry Re: Bus accident in Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
it dosnt matter what happened its always the drivers fault and i agree with that in full unless of course a person deliberatly throws themselves under a car or somthing

when in control of a vehicle you are supposed to be aware of your surroundings so hitting someone is inexcusable as it means you were either not paying attention to your surroundings or driving too fast

there should be always be a jail sentece for people who kill while in control of a car unless the person who was killed deliberatly threw themselves under it

how many familys no longer have children or parents because some idiot was eather not paying attention or driving too fast

3 points and a £100 fine dont bring dead people back
I AGREE WITH YOU THESE PEOPLE SHOULD GET LONG PRISON SENTENCES
Old 11-02-2005, 08:06   #11
God Member

Ged,
Is your caps lock stuck or something? I don't know if you are aware but to type in all capitals is considered shouting. Please spend a second to become aquaintd with your caps lock key.

Many thanks
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:02   #12
Senior Member+

Angry Re: Bus accident in Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
so not as bad as taxis,i think that needs rephrasing. I have never used it and wont.as for the other quote i have been taxi driving 6 yers no points on licence not even a parking fine.we are not all the same if you open your eyes you will probably notice its the hackneys that fly through there more often then owt.im private hire and based up ossy.the hackneys dont have a base as such only the rank so tend to use it as short cut.so think before putting gob in gear.........................................
Old 11-02-2005, 09:19   #13
Resident Waffler

I've wanted to say something else in response to this thread but keep getting my words in a tangle and have been putting it off which is unusual for me.

A wild satement was made that "It is always the drivers fault" and I want to point out that this isn't and cannot be an automatic assumption.

When my daughter was run over by a 4 wheel drive vehicle outside her school in Oct 2003, despite the fact that other pupils witnessed the event and attested to the fact that the car was not visible when the two girls started to cross the road, the police will not accept a statement from a child and the driver claims to have been doding only 20mph and therefore the girls ran in front of her and she could do nothing.

In this particular case the driver doesn't seem to have been blamed at all by police, despite the fact that logic contradicts the account. If she had been doing 20mph and if the girls had run then they would have reached the other side of the road before she reached them and she would have had enough reaction time to have stopped sooner than she did instead of dragging my daughter along the road under her car and coming to a stop with her head under the wheel.

I've even done timing on that road myself and walking at a reasonably slow pace I can be across before a car coming round the bend gets anywhere near. All the logic points to the driver doing more than 30mph.

So no, drivers are not always held to be responsible.

And although I often make joking remarks about bus and taxi drivers I am aware that it is never wise to generalise and that by and large the majority are good sensible people. Even those hackneys don't often cut in front of the town hall because they approach the rank from the end and from a different direction.

Where would non-drivers be without public transport? Many depend on it, so as mthead says please think carefully before making sweeping statements.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:35   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Even those hackneys don't often cut in front of the town hall because they approach the rank from the end and from a different direction.
yes thats right willow but its when they are setting off on their fares they have to come the other wy and use it for short cut .For example to get to hyndburn rd.I still believe it should be reopened with traffic lights and/or pelican crossing..
Old 11-02-2005, 12:14   #15

sorry mthead i suppose i was generalising a bit yes you are right the hackneys they are the problem but i trusy you really understand my undertones
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..