Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07   #1
Resident Waffler

Buses do a U-turn?

Looks like Lancashire United are having a rethink about banning some baby buggies from their buses.

Full story

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2007, 12:45   #2
God Member

Re: Buses do a U-turn?

i really shouldnt add comments to news paper articles
Old 10-12-2007, 14:09   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
Well said karma sent
Old 10-12-2007, 14:12   #4
God Member

Fair play to the reader who commented that they should be folded down though. The space could've been filed up already and she wouldnt have been able to get on without folding it down or waiting for the next one. Or she could've got a taxi if she was that concerned about the cold and her baby.

The policy is unfair in the sense that a 3 wheeled pram is not unstable compared to a four wheeled pram, thats like saying reliant robins are unsuitable for the road and you still see the odd one of them out and about doing fine with the 4 wheeled cars!

I think they were just trying to find excuses for not letting as many prams on the bus, and to be honest, you see so many mothers putting their prams into the buggy bit the wrong way that no wonder the bus drivers are concerned. If they crash and the buggy isnt in the right way, or they havent crash tested with a 3 wheeled buggy to make sure the baby will be ok then who's going to be to blame. I'd be shocked if anyone pointed at the mother.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 14:36   #5
God Member

Blazey, they only allow 2 prams on anyway
Old 10-12-2007, 14:37   #6
God Member

thanx for the karma Bernie
Old 10-12-2007, 14:38   #7
Senior Member+

the problem that i had was that the drivers wre letting too many buggies on and you had to turn them the other way.. how would a mother with a tiny baby fold down her pram? the baby cant go on the floor and it is impossible to fold it dow, carry it on the bus, put it in the shopping bag area and keep hols of your baby and hold another childs hand.. the buses are designed for buggies to get onto, there are spaces for buggies that ppl are not supposed to sit in, so they are not taking the seat of a paying customer!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 14:45   #8
God Member

The main point is that before buggy bays where designed, mothers coped perfectly well, they didn't just stay in their houses.

2 buggies shouldn't even be allowed on the bus, it should only be one, just as only one wheelchair bound passenger is allowed on the bus.

As said, the space wasn't created to make it more convenient for mothers, it was designed so that disabled people could have better access to the bus anyway, buggy users dont even have priority.
Old 10-12-2007, 15:05   #9
Senior Member+

the prams that the mothers had before had carry cots on them, which you can put on the floor.. my mum had a big silver cross pram when i was little and she had to walk everywhere because they didnt fold down... the burnley&pendle buses take 3 buggies.. it says prams and wheelchairs, niot just wheel chairs... have you ever tried to get on a bus with a pram and had to fold it down? i would rather walk!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 10-12-2007, 15:08   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
the prams that the mothers had before had carry cots on them, which you can put on the floor.. my mum had a big silver cross pram when i was little and she had to walk everywhere because they didnt fold down... the burnley&pendle buses take 3 buggies.. it says prams and wheelchairs, niot just wheel chairs... have you ever tried to get on a bus with a pram and had to fold it down? i would rather walk!
Yeh actually, I fold it down every time I get on the bus and the train. I took my brother and sister to blackpool on the train and managed to hold both their hands and carry the pram off a busy train to blackpool, and if little me can do it, someone who has no experience with motherhood or caring for children, i think anyone can, though maybe i'm just a superhero!
Old 10-12-2007, 15:36   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Yeh actually, I fold it down every time I get on the bus and the train. I took my brother and sister to blackpool on the train and managed to hold both their hands and carry the pram off a busy train to blackpool, and if little me can do it, someone who has no experience with motherhood or caring for children, i think anyone can, though maybe i'm just a superhero!
how many hands do you have? you managed all this with out once letting go of the children? how old were they at the time?

and out of interest, where did you put the folded down pram.. was ait a full baby pram, or a buggy?

Last edited by emamum; 10-12-2007 at 15:40.
Old 10-12-2007, 17:47   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
thats like saying reliant robins are unsuitable for the road and you still see the odd one of them out and about doing fine with the 4 wheeled cars!
Can you still drive a 3 wheeled reliant on a motorbike license at 16?

This looks like another thread that has become bitchy all of a sudden.
Old 10-12-2007, 18:22   #13
Resident Waffler

A foldable buggy is a lot different to a pram designed for a newborn baby. Prams are a lot smaller these days than the old coach built prams but if it's a small baby then the pram (even if people call it a buggy) may well not be a fold downable one. When Mimi was a toddler, before Emz was born, I used to struggle with just her and a fold down buggy and some shopping. It's extremely difficult to hold onto a toddler and fold down a buggy. One time I was struggling to do so and the bus driver simply drove off and left us.

I'm a non-pram pusher these days but I know it's difficult when people try to fit more than one in the space(s) - I've been on the Fern Gore bus sometimes when there have been three - but my sympathies are still with the mothers. Even if people haven't had children of their own they sometimes seem to forget that they must have been children themselves once, even babies in prams.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 20:11   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
Who is the person calling herself 'Kathleen of www.accringtonweb ' who replied to you in such a rude way on the Telegraph website?

Surely it can't be Kathleen Firth.....with her due to have a baby very soon, surely she wouldn't hold those views re babies on buses.

Last edited by Lilly; 10-12-2007 at 20:13.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 20:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Who is the person calling herself 'Kathleen of www.accringtonweb ' who replied to you in such a rude way on the Telegraph website?

Surely it can't be Kathleen Firth.....with her due to have a baby very soon, surely she wouldn't hold those views re babies on buses.
It was a bit of a nasty comment, been wondering who it was myself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..