Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2008, 16:14   #1
Resting in Peace

Bush gets the Boot

George W. was the target for one local jurno in Iraq, he threw his shoes at him, I think its ridiculous that this guy treated Mr. Bush in this way, at least he could have hit him instead of missing by a country mile
Old 15-12-2008, 16:27   #2
God Member

Re: Bush gets the Boot

I'm not a Bush lover nor do I think he did right when attacking Iraq.
I think the Journalist is a very lucky lad only to have been arrested, in the day's of Saddam he would have been taken outside and shot as would be the case in any other Arab country.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 17:11   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

my thoughts exactly roy, he only got slammed in clink, saddam would have topped him no question, also i agree it was wrong to go into iraq, but this silly incident does prove the place has improved.
Old 15-12-2008, 17:18   #4
God Member

its a pity the shoe wasnt a bullet and it wasnt 10 years ago

imagine how much less hassle the world would be in

mind you we woulda still had tony bloody blair

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 18:07   #5
Resting in Peace

If he'd bought the shoes at Tommy Balls and left the string on it may well have worked..

Garrott to have a laugh

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 18:34   #6
Senior Member+

For those who haven't seen the icident here it is

Old 15-12-2008, 23:15   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

was talking to n iraqi guy earlier n he was saying throwing of shoes is n insult big time. remember when they toppled the statue of saddam in Bagdad, they were snotting it wi there shoes.
Old 15-12-2008, 23:31   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was talking to n iraqi guy earlier n he was saying throwing of shoes is n insult big time. remember when they toppled the statue of saddam in Bagdad, they were snotting it wi there shoes.

And this is a big part of the whole Iraqi /Afghani catastrope , George Bush's and his administrations complete ignorance of other peoples culture , the guy has absolute no comprehension about how other people think or feel about their national history or culture , sooner he is gone the better .

Thread wander ....I miss Bullseyebarb , wish she would come back , though can't really blame her, the slagging she had to take for every post .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 23:35   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
And this is a big part of the whole Iraqi /Afghani catastrope , George Bush's and his administrations complete ignorance of other peoples culture , the guy has absolute no comprehension about how other people think or feel about their national history or culture , sooner he is gone the better .
nail on the head, after all this is a guy who cannot run n honest election in his own country, so other peoples culture- no chance.
Old 16-12-2008, 08:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
...at least he could have hit him instead of missing by a country mile
Perhaps it was a poignant stab at the accuracy of his own armed forces- and the irony was lost on GWB...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 08:49   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Perhaps it was a poignant stab at the accuracy of his own armed forces- and the irony was lost on GWB...
owt regarding thinking about would be lost on him.
Old 16-12-2008, 12:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
...I think the Journalist is a very lucky lad only to have been arrested, in the day's of Saddam he would have been taken outside and shot as would be the case in any other Arab country.
BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'

Quote:
The Iraqi authorities have said the 28-year-old will be prosecuted under Iraqi law, although it is not yet clear what the charges might be.
Missing?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 16:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Thread wander ....I miss Bullseyebarb , wish she would come back , though can't really blame her, the slagging she had to take for every post .

Gone, (temporarily), but not forgotten. Ah, how sweet. Not to worry, steeljack.....I can take the heat. Haven't checked in on you guys for a while because I have been really, really busy. Also traveling a lot.

I thought President Bush was very nimble in said shoe incident and showed his good humor to the max. I hope the Iraqis will slap the journalist with something akin to disturbing the peace. Minor offense. Bad manners at most. Personally, I think it's great that this guy felt comfortable enough to lob his footwear. As has already been stated on this thread, he wouldn't have dared to do it if Saddam had still been in power. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - that's the beauty of democratic systems.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 17:00   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Shot while trying to escape
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 17:11   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Gone, (temporarily), but not forgotten. Ah, how sweet. Not to worry, steeljack.....I can take the heat. Haven't checked in on you guys for a while because I have been really, really busy. Also traveling a lot.

I thought President Bush was very nimble in said shoe incident and showed his good humor to the max. I hope the Iraqis will slap the journalist with something akin to disturbing the peace. Minor offense. Bad manners at most. Personally, I think it's great that this guy felt comfortable enough to lob his footwear. As has already been stated on this thread, he wouldn't have dared to do it if Saddam had still been in power. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - that's the beauty of democratic systems.
Hi Barb, welcome back, eh.

Problem is not that he felt comfortable throwing the shoes, it's that too many Iraqis still feel comfortable strapping explosive to themselves and heading off for that big virgin fest in the sky.

Talking about democracy; wasn't it President Reagan who wanted to pass a law banning the burning of the American flag ... I think someone explained the First Ammendment to him, and he kinda understood it enough to back off.

I remember one Canadian expressing his freedom by shoving a pie in PM Jean Chretien's face

However, the shoe flinger is probably having the crap beaten out of him as we speak.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..