Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 19:52   #1
God Member

Business Rates...

They were going to go up 5%, but now they've gone up 2% with the other 3% being paid 'over several years'. I'm a bit confused. Government have set this, but I thought councils did?

Personally I think it should have been frozen whoever sets it because it was set high due to high inflation, where as now its zero, or less, so should be 0% increase or cut.
Old 01-04-2009, 22:12   #2
God Member

Re: Business Rates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
They were going to go up 5%, but now they've gone up 2% with the other 3% being paid 'over several years'. I'm a bit confused. Government have set this, but I thought councils did?

Personally I think it should have been frozen whoever sets it because it was set high due to high inflation, where as now its zero, or less, so should be 0% increase or cut.

You would think they would be reducing them not increasing them if they want to get the economy going
Old 02-04-2009, 04:46   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post

You are not confused..the impression of a kid deciding his future is a Tory politician is wel known so don't give us the "lost soul" stuff .. the rates for business were set to 5% but have been cut down to 2% because of the recent problems within the "selling" sector... business rates are not set on a yearly basis ...and this or any goverment will set rates according to inflation..they have cut the rate..so whats yer gripe?

Last edited by Mancie; 02-04-2009 at 04:48.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
You are not confused..the impression of a kid deciding his future is a Tory politician is wel known so don't give us the "lost soul" stuff .. the rates for business were set to 5% but have been cut down to 2% because of the recent problems within the "selling" sector... business rates are not set on a yearly basis ...and this or any goverment will set rates according to inflation..they have cut the rate..so whats yer gripe?
Well inflation is at 0% so kind of blows your statement out of the water Mancie
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36   #5
God Member

Inflation at 0% ... knocks the kak out of the 15% under Thatcher and Norman Lamont...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47   #6
God Member

Quote:
Inflation at 0% ... knocks the kak out of the 15% under Thatcher and Norman Lamont...

The RPI may be at 0%.....but the CPI (which is the international comparator and the important figure for business) is at 3.odd %.
Let's get it right before we go any further

And if we're talking about historical inflation rates, 15% under Thatcher blows the kak out of 26% under Callaghan and Healey in the '70s.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 02-04-2009 at 09:49.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
The RPI may be at 0%.....but the CPI (which is the international comparator and the important figure for business) is at 3.odd %.
Let's get it right before we go any further

And if we're talking about historical inflation rates, 15% under Thatcher blows the kick out of 26% under Callaghan and Healey in the '70s.
You have to make exceptions for Mancie, Tealeaf, he has a one track mind which slopes badly to the left
Old 02-04-2009, 10:56   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You have to make exceptions for Mancie, Tealeaf, he has a one track mind which slopes badly to the left
I slope badly away from any Tory Policies.. been bitten more than once and that is what I base my outlook on... I was giving an example of the inflation rate we had to endure under the last Tory rule.. 15%? I was being gentle.. the real rate was around 17% for home owners..most people have forgot.. but I'll bet you have not forgot Jaysay but you still tow the Tory line.. you are a traitor to your own... and I somehow think that is not the first time you have been tagged as a traitor.... maybe it's time to take notice in your old age.
Old 02-04-2009, 16:26   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I slope badly away from any Tory Policies.. been bitten more than once and that is what I base my outlook on... I was giving an example of the inflation rate we had to endure under the last Tory rule.. 15%? I was being gentle.. the real rate was around 17% for home owners..most people have forgot.. but I'll bet you have not forgot Jay Say but you still tow the Tory line.. you are a traitor to your own... and I somehow think that is not the first time you have been tagged as a traitor.... maybe it's time to take notice in your old age.
I haven't got a one sided memory, I remember 26% inflation under Sunny Jim (crisis what crisis) and Silly Billy being told by the IMF to go home and put his own house in order, before they would bail us out again. I also remember the winter of discontent, with rubbish piled in the streets, people unable to bury their dead, all because of the most inept government in history. Well it was until this load of incompetent fools started running round like headless chickens throwing money about like confetti, well not any money but our money, and you have the nerve call me a traitor, Brown and co have sold this country down the river and left us bankrupt, they are the real traitors. So put the whiskey away put the kettle on and smell the coffee and stop looking at the world through rose coloured glasses, or people will be sending for those young men in their white coats and we wouldn't want to see that would we Manci
Old 02-04-2009, 20:59   #10
God Member

I thought it was Maggie who said 'crisis? what crisis?' but I could be wrong, where I am not wrong though, is saying that both Labour and Tory governments rarely do much to help the common man, certainly as long as I can remember, it is all look after themselves and thier rich friends! The tories were responsible for making people greedy, and labour have done little or nothing to stem the flow. And to get back on thread, the business rates are a killer, ask anyone in retail, and are responsible for many businesses closing down, there was talk of discounts not long ago, guess it was just the usual... TALK!

Last edited by derekgas; 02-04-2009 at 21:01.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I thought it was Maggie who said 'crisis? what crisis?' but I could be wrong, where I am not wrong though, is saying that both Labour and Tory governments rarely do much to help the common man, certainly as long as I can remember, it is all look after themselves and their rich friends! The tories were responsible for making people greedy, and labour have done little or nothing to stem the flow. And to get back on thread, the business rates are a killer, ask anyone in retail, and are responsible for many businesses closing down, there was talk of discounts not long ago, guess it was just the usual... TALK!
No Derek it was Sunny Jim as he sat on the beach in the West Indies, whilst the rubbish piled up in the streets. The ironic thing about this present government is that they came to power on a wave of hysteria singing things can only get better, twelve years down the line, we are now close to 2 Trillion pounds in debt, 21 hospital trusts have been threatened with closure because of failing cleanliness, more kids are leaving school with less qualifications, not a terrible lot of signs of Whiter than White government and we're 20th of the G20 countries when it came to be equipped to fight the recession, not to mention being duped into two wars with false information. When we were told things can only get better, it must have been a case of D-ream on
Old 03-04-2009, 11:34   #12
JFT96

'crisis? what crisis?', thats a great album by Supertramp..... i'll get me coat

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 16:02   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
'crisis? what crisis?', thats a great album by Supertramp..... i'll get me coat
I should think so linking Supertramp to Sunny Jim, disgraceful
Old 03-04-2009, 17:52   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You would think they would be reducing them not increasing them if they want to get the economy going
You would think so!
Old 03-04-2009, 18:41   #15
JFT96

Sorry Jaysay, just had to inject some light humour. Maybe I should go to 'School', but then again I think you were 'Bloody well right'.

Sod the coat I'm in the car now!

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 03-04-2009 at 18:42. Reason: Spulling
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..