Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2015, 21:28   #1

Business Rates

George Osborne announced today that local councils will be able to keep more of the business rates they collect, instead of paying them into a national pool.

Cheers all round from everyone in Hyndburn who believes in localisation...

...until they realise that Hyndburn has benefited massively over the years by getting millions more from the non domestic rates pool than they collect in the borough.

So Hyndburn will be massively worse off.

Its a ruse to reward the more wealthy areas for voting Conservative.

The 'working class' Tory voters in constituencies like Hyndburn are the first victims of a Government that is shifting massively to the right.......
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2015, 22:02   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Business Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburner View Post

The 'working class' Tory voters in constituencies like Hyndburn are the first victims of a Government that is shifting massively to the right.......
Good, i always say yeh get what yeh deserve.
hyndburner likes this.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:01   #3

What is given by one hand is taken away with the other.
It's always the same with the government.

They give parents more in child care with 1 hand and take it away with the other by reducing family working tax benefits.
This will also cause problems, instead of it being managed by a team of experts who can manage sums of money amounting to millions it's left to local councellors who have not got a clue what day it is let alone how to manage something like this.
I wonder who in local government they expect to be able to actually do this? the paperwork, the invoicing, the collection - local government have not got the staff for it any more as the government forced cuts.

Spiralling down & down........
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:39   #4
Beacon of light

might it not make the council a bit more proactive in getting off their haunches and do something to attract businesses to the area?

If councils can set their own business rates wouldn't a lowering of these rates bring in more businesses and with this maybe even more jobs. Surely that has to be good for the local economy.....or am I missing something.
If I am, no doubt someone will take the time to educate me.
I am only asking because I know very little about how the Business rate setting is done.
Didn't The chancellor say that councils would be allowed to keep all the Business rate that they raised?

Isn't this a bit of a double edged sword? They will have to be more responsible with the money...they cannot blame central government(whatever the colour that government may be) for lack of funds if they haven't managed to raise funds, or have spent the money stupidly.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:02   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
might it not make the council a bit more proactive in getting off their haunches and do something to attract businesses to the area?

If councils can set their own business rates wouldn't a lowering of these rates bring in more businesses and with this maybe even more jobs. Surely that has to be good for the local economy.....or am I missing something.
I am only asking because I know very little about how the Business rate setting is done.
Didn't The chancellor say that councils would be allowed to keep all the Business rate that they raised?

Isn't this a bit of a double edged sword? They will have to be more responsible with the money...they cannot blame central government(whatever the colour that government may be) for lack of funds if they haven't managed to raise funds, or have spent the money stupidly.
Sounds about right to me Margaret.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:09   #6
Beacon of light

Thanks for that Lancsdave.
If that is the case then it will certainly show us just what kind of a council we currently have(and I have my suspicions).
It has the potential for helping the local economy...and it is only a potetial until someone gets busy making it productive.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:20   #7
I am Banned

Quote:

Them lot in the Clown Hall have'nt even collected all the poll tax thats due, theres millions outstanding, so how are they capable of dealing with business rates. Councellors come and go, the ones really to blame are the faceless wonders occupying the back offices. who can't do their jobs properly, and bring in consultants to price the cost of new benches.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:40   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Them lot in the Clown Hall have'nt even collected all the poll tax thats due, theres millions outstanding, so how are they capable of dealing with business rates. Councellors come and go, the ones really to blame are the faceless wonders occupying the back offices. who can't do their jobs properly, and bring in consultants to price the cost of new benches.

Business rate bills are already sent out and the money collected by the local council. The change means they will keep the money and not have to pass it on to central government.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:15   #9
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

While that may be true Retlaw, the business rate is a different matter.

It will just show whether our own council is proactive in getting new businesses to come into the borough.
If they can now set lower rates, then surely this must make the borough a more attractive place to site business.

This logically would mean that there would be more jobs available to local people and that has got to have a positive effect on the local economy.......added to that the fact that the council can KEEP this money to improve services, rather than tip it up to Whitehall.

This is definitely going to sort the wheat from the chaff.
If we see improvements then we will know that there is someone(and quite frankly I don't CARE if it is a councillor or someone from the back office.....I just care that SOMEONE has the brains to do something which will regenerate our town) is doing all they can to make the place somewhere that business wants to be.

The council will no longer be able to blame central government for the lack of funds because it will be down to them to see that funds are generated.
Old 06-10-2015, 13:16   #10
Senior Member+

I assume that a shop property will pay business rate? What happens if the owner keeps the shutters down and uses the shop area as a living area - does that constitute a change of use and does it affect the rateable value of the property?
Now that the council will be responsible for collecting their own funding will they be more efficient in their collection activity?
Old 06-10-2015, 13:22   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Sorry Barrie HBC and efficiency, should NEVER be in the same sentence, 100 lines.!!
Old 06-10-2015, 13:35   #12
Beacon of light

Cashy if they want to remain solvent they will have to get their act together because they will no longer have anyone else they can blame.
Old 06-10-2015, 13:57   #13
God Member

Quote:
Cashy if they want to remain solvent they will have to get their act together because they will no longer have anyone else they can blame.
oh they will find someone or something

ye of little faith

i do often wonder that if we had a tory council and a tory government or vice versa how councils would go on with no one above them to blame

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 14:05   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It wouldn't shock me, if they increased the rate, so the good retailers will finance things.
Old 06-10-2015, 16:02   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Sorry Barrie HBC and efficiency, should NEVER be in the same sentence, 100 lines.!!
Wrist slapping deserved

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..