Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2010, 14:49   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Calderstones, Brockhall , Langho Colony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I started work down Whalley in 1963 cashy and they were still building on pasturlands then, sortley after he opened a new site in lango itself
yeh they were, twas early 63 when i started goin down yon, so they musta started before that, cos were quite a few finished n lived in then.
Old 29-05-2010, 08:25   #47
God Member

Just noticed this. Donald Vaughan and I got summer jobs at Calderstones, back in '66. The work was ... interesting. Got to lay out a corpse one time ... fun stuff. There were some weird, sadistic characters working there. As far as I remember, most of the money I earned went across the bars of all those pubs.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 08:38   #48
Senior Member+

When I was a policeman, my most unusual case was at whittingham mental Hospital. I got a call over the radio -"any patrol to attend Whittingham Hospital - report of an escapee" When I got there, I discovered it was far mnore serious. Before escaping, a male patient had broken into the hospital's laundry and had raped two female laundry assitants.

The headlines in that night's Lancashire Evening Post read

'Nut Screws Washers and Bolts.'

On a serious note....there were also privately-run mental hospitals in the Ribble Valley (Billington-Brockhall )area. I think they were all there because there was plenty of land and the countryside was seen as suitable for inducing a calm mental attitude.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 09:19   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just noticed this. Donald Vaughan and I got summer jobs at Calderstones, back in '66. The work was ... interesting. Got to lay out a corpse one time ... fun stuff. There were some weird, sadistic characters working there. As far as I remember, most of the money I earned went across the bars of all those pubs.
Are you really sure you and Donald WORKED there Eric
Old 29-05-2010, 09:24   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
When I was a policeman, my most unusual case was at whittingham mental Hospital. I got a call over the radio -"any patrol to attend Whittingham Hospital - report of an escapee" When I got there, I discovered it was far mnore serious. Before escaping, a male patient had broken into the hospital's laundry and had raped two female laundry assitants.

The headlines in that night's Lancashire Evening Post read

'Nut Screws Washers and Bolts.'

On a serious note....there were also privately-run mental hospitals in the Ribble Valley (Billington-Brockhall )area. I think they were all there because there was plenty of land and the countryside was seen as suitable for inducing a calm mental attitude.
That reminds me of the time this naked blond escapee from Calderstones came running through the building site followed by six male nurses, the last one carrying a bucket of sand, I asked what the bucket of sand was for, he shrugged his shoulders and said, its my handicap I caught her last month
Old 19-07-2011, 16:55   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Calderstones Hospital
Mitton Road, Whalley, Clitheroe, BB7 9PE
Opened 1915: by Lancashire Asylums Board, but used during world war one as Queen Mary's Military Hospital
Dual Pavilion
1921 Calderstones Certified Institution for Mental Defectives
Or Whalley Asylum (Mental Defectives)
Calderstones Hospital (by 1929 - 1993) In 1971 it had an average of 1,710 beds available and 1,631 resident patients.

Brockhall Hospital (See Lancashire Asylums Board) was approximately two miles from Calderstones Hospital in the Ribble Valley. It opened as The Lancashire Inebriate Reformatory in 1904. It became Brockhall Hospital for Mental Defectives in 1915, Brockhall Hospital for the Mentally Subnormal in 1959, and Brockhall Hospital for Mentally Handicapped People in 1974. In 1971 it had an average of 1,844 beds available and 1,800 resident patients. Steve Wright worked there as a nurse from 1981 until 1985. During that time there where still children at Brockhall and approximately 1000 people lived there in total. It became Brockhall Hospital for People with Learning Disabilities in 1991, but closed in 1992.
As Above
Interesting information! Which Steve Wright worked there? Not the Radio One DJ?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 18:32   #52

you will probably find that most of the inmates - now escapees - are on the accy website - they go under various seudonymes?
check out the music section and I will reveal all
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..