Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2012, 21:21   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Cameron to Privatise Roads

This looks like a massive mistake to me, according to a tweet I just read there was supposed to be a midnight embargo on this big announcement but the picture below blows that.

Here is a link to the tweet that announced it http://twitpic.com/8y6ax5

Last edited by Neil; 18-03-2012 at 21:24.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2012, 21:35   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Cameron to Privatise Roads

I thought the road tax was the motorist contributing to the road system, how can a toll then be introduced on something that belongs to the taxpayer (theoretically)

We pay road fund licence, we have to pay tax on the fuel we use, how many more ways are there to get money out of the motorist to use the road system?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 21:44   #3
God Member

No doubt if it does happen Cameron or one of his cronies will have a stake in the ownership of any company given the contract
Old 18-03-2012, 22:03   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This looks like a massive mistake to me, according to a tweet I just read there was supposed to be a midnight embargo on this big announcement but the picture below blows that.

Here is a link to the tweet that announced it Monday's Independent - "Caneron to fill hole in nat... on Twitpic

How could that possibly work, it would cost millions just to set up, and if it did, it would be years before it showed any return. Who actually owns the road, say between Church & Whitebirk, or Baxenden to Rising Bridge.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 23:38   #5
God Member

taking us back to the 18th century\
Old 18-03-2012, 23:54   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
taking us back to the 18th century\
18th centuary?
Will we have to use horses and not cars on these privatised roads?
Old 18-03-2012, 23:55   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Another link here to this story from the Telegraph Privatised roads to get country moving again - Telegraph
Old 19-03-2012, 05:16   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Absolute no brainer, what a balloon head, it won't help anything except the companies with the contracts & Joe public will suffer again, not just privately with their own vehicle but anything that comes from the shops has to be delivered in the first place by road.
Old 19-03-2012, 05:19   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its just another idea on how to screw Joe Public, n some are too dim to see how "Real Tories" are.
Old 19-03-2012, 05:58   #10
Senior Member+

Cameron and his cronies do not need to worry about private roads as they are all loaded and can afford to use these roads. Once again stuff the working class
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 08:07   #11
Resting in Peace

This is something that as been happening in other countries for a long time, especially the States, with road users going to increase by by 40% by 2035, unless something is done now the countries roads are going to be like the M25 at rush hour, wall to wall traffic jams. Just wondering what are the alternatives, restricting car use maybe. Road maintenance has been neglected by every colour of government over the last 40 years. Maybe ring fencing the road tax could be a start, as only a fraction of what is raised through it is spent on what it should be
Old 19-03-2012, 12:15   #12
Senior Member+

This is a mad idea but only one of many to stuff the motorist, and it does not just include the Tory's. If you remember the labour government wanted to track cars by GPS. and have them pay for the distance traveled and on which roads.
To me this is just rearranging the deck chairs, lets start a game who has the biggest pothole.

( And before you say it I mean holes in the road, not somewhere you stick a spliff)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 15:04   #13
Resting in Peace

Cameron's announcement isn't really anything new. I guess the focus is on trying to encourage more private sector involvement rather than just allowing it. The rest of the world generally builds roads in this way, but the major difference is that their current cost of driving is generally lower, so paying tolls is not so much of an issue.

It has been predicted, though, that through the income of tolls, could bring the cost of Road Tax down....mmmm.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:21   #14

I thought Cameron only drove on private roads anyway, through the country estates and manor house drives of his pals from the Bullingdon Club and Eton.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:29   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
I thought Cameron only drove on private roads anyway, through the country estates and manor house drives of his pals from the Bullingdon Club and Eton.
He's planning ahead for when he has to use public roads to visit his pals Rebekah and Charlie in Holloway and Wormwood Scrubs.....

Allegedly.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..