Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2004, 17:13   #61

Re: Campaign To Keep The Arndale Clock

Obviously a petition would be later on in proceedings in the event that HBC are to do nothing with the clock - a petition now would be pointless I agree. However, if it comes down to people power then a petition gathering 'assault' would be a great way to get the council to realise that there is a lot of support for the idea - and gathering signatures at said places makes so much sense.

It goes without saying that it might not have to come down to that. Once the facts are known then.....thing is I bet HBC, Arndale etc don't have a clue what the facts are!
Old 14-07-2004, 17:17   #62
Member.

Who's he. I thought she was a she.....and a lady at that.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 17:58   #63
God Member

If the council are serious about encouraging tourism then there should be a town museum. Cannon St. Baptist church would make a perfect location. It is central, Listed, in a conservation area, and also emodies a significant part of the borough's heritage. How many tourists are going to want to come and look at yet another complex of luxury flats?
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 20:06   #64

Things have obviously changed lot since I lived in the area. The words "Accrington" and "tourism" have never really been synonymous in my mind. Can someone explain how the tourist industry affects Accrington in this day and age, and how tourism was encouraged within the town. I am not aware of any real tourist attractions in the town itself. I would have thought the Ribble Valley was the nearest place of interest to people who have no connection with the area.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 21:11   #65
God Member

Hyndburn as a tourist destination is, I think one of Mr. Rix's pet projects. He seems to be of the opinion that all we need is a couple of nice hotels and a restaurant or two and the tourists will come flocking in. But as you so rightly point out John, there really isn't an awful lot to look at. And what there is, is so woefully funded, badly managed, and underdeveloped that we might just as well not have it at all. We do have a new piece of sculpture however, it's made out of a piece of an old steam engine and the council are very pleased with that. They must be, they have just forked out £30,000 to have it put in place. So remember to tell all your friends, if they want a truly unique tourism experience they should come to Accrington and have a look at our old cog wheel. An experience they will never forget - no matter how hard they try.
Old 14-07-2004, 21:34   #66
Resident Waffler

I always thought the viaduct was supposed to be a tourist attraction.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 22:26   #67
Member.

There's more than one viaduct in accy........
Old 15-07-2004, 05:11   #68
God Member

There is also one in Burnley which is almost identical. And I believe that there is also one in Whalley, but that is red brick. In any case, all of them pale by comparison with the Ribblehead Viaduct.
Old 15-07-2004, 07:14   #69
Resident Waffler

More than one in Accy? I've lived here most of my life and I can only think of the one. Where's the other one?

Burnley's hasn't got a McDonalds next to it or a river and floral roundabout under it has it? It's a pity we don't make more of our river, but I've said that before.

Whalley's viaduct is a different kettle of fish. It doesn't qualify as a 'rival' because it is so different.

Old 15-07-2004, 08:58   #70

Hyndburn as a tourist destination! God help those with weak bladders when they read that!

Acryllic and John W are painfully correct when they say that there isn't much to look at in Hyndburn. True, the Ribble Valley is only 20 minutes drive away but why would abyone visit there only to have to come back and slum it in a 'hotel' in Accy?

I suggest that Mr.Rix stops wasting our money on 'dead ducks in the water' and takes a good look around at reality. I'm all for making Hyndburn a nicer place to live but this is 'pie-in-the-sky' nonsense I'm afraid.

Why on earth did the cog cost £30,000? It's looks good I have to admit (although it is hardly going to become the backbone of the towns thriving tourism industry) but £30,000?

Any reply from t'Arndale Kipax?
Old 15-07-2004, 10:07   #71
Member.

Willow its about quater of a mile south of Hollins School, just at the end of Priestley Clough.....I can't remember but I think its four or five arches.

Last edited by Doug; 15-07-2004 at 11:36.
Old 15-07-2004, 10:21   #72
God Member

Dissapointing... No reply from Arndale.. It was a fax and it was recieved.. it had my home phone/fax number, email and address on it.
Old 15-07-2004, 13:47   #73
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Willow its about quater of a mile south of Hollins School, just at the end of Priestley Clough.....I can't remember but I think its four or five arches.
I shall have to go and have a look. It isn't one of those things no longer there like much of old Accy is it? I was thinking ...... Hollins/Priestley Clough sounds like the old Manchester line long since defunct.

Old 15-07-2004, 14:41   #74
Member.

It’s been a long time Willow and you will probably know where you’re going, but here goes

You can go up Willows Lane, down Miller Fold heading for Nelsons Farm? (Rothwell Mill Farm) Down passed the res then up Priestley Clough: or come from up Woodnook, following what I remember has a fantastic wonderland of trees, bluebells and the fresh clear water of the nook itself. Or you can be boring and take Manchester Road – Hill Street then walk down from there.
Old 15-07-2004, 16:06   #75
God Member

If you are talking about 'Five Arches' mate, it's gone! Demolished about ten years ago.

I know that there is a viaduct across Blackburn Road just before you get to West End and there is another to carry the train and(?) the canal across the motorway near Whitebirk.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..