Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2011, 07:22   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Car park charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I'm sure there are some Councils up and down the land who would, if they could.

With car parking, most Councils charge. Hyndburn don't. It is a clear decision not to have income that they could have, so to balance the books they have to look at cost reductions or income generation elsewhere in the budget.
As stated, unlike other places, we're fortunate here in Hyndburn, in that we aren't charged twice to park.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2011, 07:23   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I dont agree with local councils (or anyone) charging you to park on a street you have paid road tax to use. Hyndburn have got it right and its about time on street parking charges were banned. Charging to park on a car park is a different matter and it is really good its free in Accy.
So should all them that Park on the Pavement down Blackburn road be charged or is it going to stay free parking too
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 07:29   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
So should all them that Park on the Pavement down Blackburn road be charged or is it going to stay free parking too

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 08:53   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If you're going to argue that free car parking should somehow be recorded as a loss of income, the same could be said of the health service, and state education.

We've already paid for 'free' parking.

I guess we're just lucky that in Hyndburn we don't have to pay for it twice over.

Perhaps some numpties would like to see tolls imposed to use every street and road, because not to do so means it's a' loss of income' from government coffers.
Don't you give um ideas G
Old 15-07-2011, 08:55   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I dont agree with local councils (or anyone) charging you to park on a street you have paid road tax to use. Hyndburn have got it right and its about time on street parking charges were banned. Charging to park on a car park is a different matter and it is really good its free in Accy.
Take you wouldn't be in favour of congestion charges then Neil
Old 15-07-2011, 08:57   #36
Resting in Peace

It might be interesting to find out just how many authorities DO subscribe to free parking in GB
Old 15-07-2011, 16:13   #37
God Member

If there are two neighbouring towns that Accy should be compared with (in terms of size, architecture and spatial lay-out), they are Hebden Bridge and Skipton. Both of these towns have parking charges yet both are regarded as pocessing some of the best shopping areas in the UK and being amongst the best places to live in the UK.

I certainly cannot be arsed to to do any shopping in Accy town centre any longer, given the volume of traffic and the resultant air pollution. It's a quick visit to Tesco - get in, shop and get out and 'owt else I need when I'm back there I arrange to get on line. No way do I wish to run the gauntlet of drunks, fatso's and lazy drivers lurching from one dodgy retail outlet to another (T-shirt print shops excepted).

The problem of course, is that the borough is in the dark ages when it comes to shopping. There are no town centre cycle lanes and there is but one pedestrianised throughfare, Broadway. The rest is a first degree mess. The sooner that restrictions are placed on cars coming into the town centre, the better and that will mean that a different class of shoppers will return, with a more prosperous town centre for everyone.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-07-2011 at 16:18.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 17:20   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
If there are two neighbouring towns that Accy should be compared with (in terms of size, architecture and spatial lay-out), they are Hebden Bridge and Skipton. Both of these towns have parking charges yet both are regarded as processing some of the best shopping areas in the UK and being amongst the best places to live in the UK.

I certainly cannot be arsed to to do any shopping in Accy town centre any longer, given the volume of traffic and the resultant air pollution. It's a quick visit to Tesco - get in, shop and get out and 'owt else I need when I'm back there I arrange to get on line. No way do I wish to run the gauntlet of drunks, fatso's and lazy drivers lurching from one dodgy retail outlet to another (T-shirt print shops excepted).

The problem of course, is that the borough is in the dark ages when it comes to shopping. There are no town centre cycle lanes and there is but one pedestrianised thoroughfare, Broadway. The rest is a first degree mess. The sooner that restrictions are placed on cars coming into the town centre, the better and that will mean that a different class of shoppers will return, with a more prosperous town centre for everyone.
It is a long way from Wapping when all's said and done

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..