Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2006, 19:28   #1
God Member

Car seats

Well, the new law has been in force for two weeks - all children must be in booster seats.

I don't think it was particularly well advertised and I don't think that everyone is upholding it. I glanced in a few cars near the school and they didn't all have seats in. So, I wonder when the first prosecution will be or are the police going to ignore it (much as they ignore the law about speaking on you mobile in the car).

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2006, 19:30   #2

Re: Car seats

speaking on a mobile phone while your kids are jumping about in the back playing with the dog. on a roundabout.

you watch. it happens.
Old 29-09-2006, 20:50   #3
Resting in Peace

Well acording to the Observer Argos could not keep up with demand for the seats and other shops had the same problem.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 20:56   #4
God Member

We were really last minute about it and heard that Netto had some. So I went on the Monday morning to get four - two for each car and people were literally streaming out of the shop with them. I was very lucky to get the last two and so now we're swapping them about between cars because we can't find any more.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 22:55   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

you could avoid all this aggro- shove em in the boot.
Old 29-09-2006, 22:57   #6
Resident Waffler

I wonder if "the shops have run out of them" will be an acceptable excuse if anyone gets stopped?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 11:02   #7
Senior Member+

Im selling a car seat, have a look in the stuff for sale section.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 12:50   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Car seats

The best way round the booster seat rule is to make the kids walk to school.

Of course booster seats are not required on coaches, buses or taxis so it really makes nonsense of the edict. Buses, coaches and taxis also have accidents. But there are other exceptions. For instance if two booster seats are installed in the back seat the and there isn’t room for a third seat to be installed (and in most cases there won’t be) then the kid sat in the middle can legally use just the lap belt. For me that says it all. If the kid in the middle can safely use a lap belt why can’t the kids on either side do the same? The real answer is to force car manufacturers to make seat belts adjustable to accommodate all sizes of passengers once they are eligible to come out of ‘baby’ seats. I also understand that normal seat belts can be adapted so that the shoulder strap does go over a small person’s shoulder and not round their neck but can also be used by a taller person without any fiddling about.

What about a small adult driver under the minimum height? People that I can only describe as dwarfs because I know of no other name to use. Would s/he have to use a booster seat to drive? The law is under 135 cms (4 ft 5 ins) or under 12 years of age. There are plenty of kids of 13 or 14 who are under that height and they will become the laughing stock of their mates because they have to use a booster seat. There are also plenty of 11 year olds taller than 4ft 5 ins but because they are under 12 they too will have to use a booster seat if they are to conform to the law.

This law is yet another example of some idiot in government having what he or she thinks is a brilliant idea but hasn’t thought it through.

This latest “We must do as the government tells us” is claimed to save some 1,000 injuries and fatalities to children in a year. Is that 999 injured and one killed or is it one injured and 999 killed? Statistics that group incidents are worse than useless.

OK! So we should try and do all we can to protect children from adult stupidities but there are more injuries and fatalities to children being knocked down than inside cars.

Last edited by jambutty; 30-09-2006 at 13:59.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 13:13   #9
God Member

The law is making about as much sence as wearing thermal clothing on a tropical beach in the middle of the day. My daughter is 5' 6" and 10 so would have to use one. Is this law all of the UK or just England and Wales?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 13:40   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Car seats

At such a height on a booster seat your daughter’s head could well be ABOVE the headrest and that presents its own dangers.

I don’t know for sure SPUGGIE J but the chances are it is for just England and Wales.
Old 30-09-2006, 13:48   #11
Give, give, give member

Jambutty made a valid point.

It isn't just a law for children, its based on height. So anyone regardless of age who is below the minimum height will be required to use one.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 14:03   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Height restrictions might not apply after the age of 14 according to this table:-

Adult passengers (ie 14 years and over) Seat belt MUST be worn if available.

The main table can be found here:-

I just wonder who has decided to define 'adult' as 14?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 14:22   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
The law is under 135 cms (4 ft 5 ins) or under 12 years of age. There are plenty of kids of 13 or 14 who are under that height and they will become the laughing stock of their mates because they have to use a booster seat. There are also plenty of 11 year olds taller than 4ft 5 ins but because they are under 12 they too will have to use a booster seat if they are to conform to the law.
You are a little mixed up. It is children under 12 and under the height limit that need a booster seat. They actually don't need a booster seat, they need a child restraint tested according to ECE R44.03. this might be a child seat, booster or one of these seat belt adjusters from Autosafe. So a dwarf ( Miss T.Belle for example ) over the age of 12 does not need a child restarint to comply with the law. Have a read of this government web site, it explains it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Jambutty made a valid point.

It isn't just a law for children, its based on height. So anyone regardless of age who is below the minimum height will be required to use one.
No, it is based on age and height but, over 12 can use a normal adult belt regardless of height Rindy.
Old 30-09-2006, 14:32   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil

No, it is based on age and height but, over 12 can use a normal adult belt regardless of height Rindy.
Not according to that table that both neil and I have put links to Rindy.

Hang about though even that table seems to contradict itself!

Extra, extra, bit.

Cutting through it all it would have been simpler just to put from 12 and left out the bit about 14 year old adults.

Last edited by Less; 30-09-2006 at 14:38.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 16:23   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Cutting through it all it would have been simpler just to put from 12 and left out the bit about 14 year old adults.
It would, but then we would not have had a thread to discuss it in

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..