Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2007, 18:53   #1
Senior Member+

Care Workers

After reading the Observer and the artical on the carer who robbed a 94 year old Pensioner who she was supposed to be 'caring for' I though to myself are care workers governed in any way?

I have read a few cases where the 'carer' has been stealing from the patient.

Even the wifes grandmother has been a victim of this act she used to let her carer get money out of the cash machine for her and guess what after a while it was found money was missing and was proven (and she got charged) that it was the carer.

Dont get me wrong there are a lot of good carers out there it seem a few though are spoiling for them.

Should there be a tighter crack down on who can become a carer like a 'risk assesment or something' or is there already something like that in place?
Old 19-01-2007, 19:04   #2
Member.

Re: Care Workers

The simple answer is yes. Care providers are regulated by the Commission for Social Care Inspection and are required to obtain a full employment history, two written and verified References and an enhanced Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) Disclosure. All Social Care Worker must adhere to the General Social Care Councils Code of Conduct.

It’s a better system than what it was, but we still have along way to go.

http://www.csci.org.uk/

http://www.gscc.org.uk/Home/

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 19:24   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The simple answer is yes. Care providers are regulated by the Commission for Social Care Inspection and are required to obtain a full employment history, two written and verified References and an enhanced Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) Disclosure. All Social Care Worker must adhere to the General Social Care Councils Code of Conduct.

It’s a better system than what it was, but we still have along way to go.

http://www.csci.org.uk/

http://www.gscc.org.uk/Home/
Would that still be the case for private care work companys?

I take the observers story as an example.

The girl was 18 so it would be hard to obtain any real true references, or employment history and she was able to get a job as a carer and if she hadnt been caught who knows how much she could of stolen over the years.

I can see how it must be hard to police though, with the amount of carers out there.
Old 20-01-2007, 10:40   #4
Resting in peace

I don't think an eighteen year old girl is really capable and sureley not qualified to look after the well being of a 94 year old pensioner.
Quote:
Doug, It’s a better system than what it was, but we still have along way to go.
With all due respect Doug, I do not think much vetting could have gone on here.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 11:14   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am interested to her what punishment she receives from the court next month ( I think sentencing is next month ).

Anyone like to guess what they will give her?

What form of punishment does she deserve?
Old 20-01-2007, 11:34   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I don't think an eighteen year old girl is really capable and sureley not qualified to look after the well being of a 94 year old pensioner.
With all due respect Doug, I do not think much vetting could have gone on here.
I totally agree, wonder if she had any experiance, or even training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am interested to her what punishment she receives from the court next month ( I think sentencing is next month ).

Anyone like to guess what they will give her?

What form of punishment does she deserve?
12 months Conditional Discharge.

Oh and £30 Compensation with £70 Costs.

As to what she deserves.
Old 20-01-2007, 11:53   #7
I am Banned

was she not ordered to pay back what she stole ?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 12:07   #8
God Member

Are they able to prove the total amount she stole or just what she got caught stealing? She could have been doing it for a long time, dont think an 18yr old should have been solely looking after a 94yr old, though saying that there will be some more than capable.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 10:10   #9

After all the media attention i think they will make an example of her. I reckon she'll get 12months suspended sentence with 120 hrs comunity punishment and a bit of a fine to boot.

It was still a cowardly crime that gives people in a possition of trust(windowcleaner/milkman ect.) a bad name, i know as i am one of these.
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 10:13   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
It was still a cowardly crime that gives people in a possition of trust(windowcleaner/milkman ect.) a bad name, i know as i am one of these.
Windowcleaners & Milkmen are know for other services.
Old 21-01-2007, 11:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Windowcleaners & Milkmen are know for other services.

You've been watching too many confessions of films
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:26   #12
Resting in peace

I'm thinking of putting one of those cameras in my bedroom my brass doesn't seem to go anywhere these days, we don't have a milk chap, or a window cleaner, (at least not to my knowledge)
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:42   #13
Give, give, give member

I don't think her age had anything to do with it.

There are people younger than eighteen who care, or help care for the elderly, and would never do this, and provide much needed help and support.

On the other hand, there have been much older people found guilty of stealing off the people they were supposed to be looking after.

There are good and bad people of all ages. Happily the former far out weigh ther latter.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:48   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I don't think her age had anything to do with it.

There are people younger than eighteen who care, or help care for the elderly, and would never do this, and provide much needed help and support.

On the other hand, there have been much older people found guilty of stealing off the people they were supposed to be looking after.

There are good and bad people of all ages. Happily the former far out weigh ther latter.

You have to be 18 to do this job by law now. But yes I agree, It doesn't matter what the age whether your a good carer or a bad carer.

I have worked in care work since I was 18, and in that time I have seen good young carers and bad ones, but the same goes for the more mature carer.

It's actually not a job that just anyone can do. I do think they should raise the age to 21, not because people under this age are incompetent, just that I think you do have more of a caring knowledge as you get older and more mature yourself.

As for what this little Bitch did............I'd chop her bloody hands off and make sure she never ever went near a vunerable adult again. I hope she has had a lot of sh!t over this.. little cow.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:54   #15
Give, give, give member

I take the point about leagally having to be eighteen to provide care, I was referring more to the thousands of children in the country who help provide care for relatives or neighbours, and who do not help themselves to money etc.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..