Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2006, 08:14   #1
Senior Member+

Carry On Regardless

With proberbly just over 6 months to go now before the blanket ban on smoking in public,i was wondering how many of us smokers will actually be attempting to quit or will they just carry on regardless?How many will seek help in quitting at the earliest opportunity or maybe leave it until the last minute.As a lifetime smoker who lights up here,there & everywhere(exept my mums......she's a reformed) i'm going to seek help as soon as the festive season is over(but a week or two after new year then it's not a resolution as such).At the moment i've more nicotine replacement pharmacuticals in the house from my last failed attempt from the NHS,so iv'e something to get me started,then it's back up to Accy Vic & more substitutes.How will you cope?
Old 23-11-2006, 11:11   #2
God Member

Re: Carry On Regardless

I'm not a smoker but wish you well in your attempt to give up, you can have all the nicotine products available but without willpower you wont succeed, good luck.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 14:04   #3
Resting in peace

Tough but not impossible, the financial benefits must be an incentive to giving it up but at least try, best of luck to you.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 21:05   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Tough but not impossible, the financial benefits must be an incentive to giving it up but at least try, best of luck to you.
Cheers,it surprises that the only two people to reply to this so far are far are non smokers
Old 25-11-2006, 04:21   #5
God Member

Its amazing what having to stand out in wind rain and the cold does especially when at the pub. I know a few who quit because they would rather enjoy their pint in the warmth than in the so called shelters or doorways. Pubs have a better atmosphere for it as well as an added bonus. I prefer to drink in the house so I am still not getting there butwill have to try harder.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 12:22   #6
Resting in peace

If the breweries and their 'designers' had left the format of public houses as it was IE seperate rooms, lounge,tap or smoke room, snug and games room all tastes both smokers and non-smokers could have been accomodated, leaving freedom of choice for all.
Old 25-11-2006, 12:35   #7
Senior Member+

I tried to give up smoking a few months ago. I only last 3 weeks, but i'll definately be trying again in the New Year. The ban is going to hit a lot of pubs very hard.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 15:31   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
If the breweries and their 'designers' had left the format of public houses as it was IE seperate rooms, lounge,tap or smoke room, snug and games room all tastes both smokers and non-smokers could have been accomodated, leaving freedom of choice for all.
A very good and valid point. Sadley most followed the trend of open to all and made one big open plan area for people.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 23:45   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hope you suceed, i wont even attempt whilst all this is going on, no buggar tells me owt, i will probably try to give up again at somepoint when/if the interfering sods have shut up,in other words when i choose,not when some buggar else does.end of rant.
Old 26-11-2006, 08:50   #10
mez
God Member

iv'r got to agree with you cashy, stubborn ain't the word for me, i'll do it when I want .but good luck to all those who are trying to give up .
Old 26-11-2006, 10:20   #11
Resting In Peace

I remember the time my girlfriend (now my wife) decided to give up smoking, it was budget day 1984 and we were on our way to Scotland in the car and listening to the results of the budget. I thought she was asleep but as soon as the increase on cigarettes was anounced she sat up and declared, "When these in this pack are finished thats it I'm not going to buy anymore, and I am stopping smoking altogether", and she did and hasn't smoked from that day to this, nt being a smoker myself I don't feel I can comment on this issue but I will say that if she can do it then anyone can.
I think the increase was about 15p on a packet. Good luck to everyone who are trying to stop smoking.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 12:55   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Carry On Regardless

When all the non-smoking drivers acknowledge that their precious vehicles pollute far more than tobacco ever did I will quit smoking.

Until then I’m with cashy and mez and will carry on smoking until I feel that stopping is justified.
Old 26-11-2006, 14:13   #13
Resting in peace

If the 'anti' smoking brigade have their way there will be a smoker nabber on your tail jambutty, like the one sided race police we have now.
Old 26-11-2006, 14:43   #14

When i'm ready i'll give up, could be next week (which i doubt) could be sometime in the next decade, could be never who knows. But until then i'll continue to enjoy smoking.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 17:48   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Carry On Regardless

If any anti smoking brigadier is so unwise as to accost me about my smoking Ianto.W. I will demonstrate quite clearly that I am still capable of drawing a long bow with either hand.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..