Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 19:54   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Changing Rooms...at a cost.

Sixteen thousand is still a lot of money to spend on decorating a room because it 'embarrasses' you in front of guests.

Not a criticism of this council imparticular, but if a little had been spent on upkeep and maintenance since 1974, we wouldn't be looking at such a vast amount of money being spent now.

I hope they are getting two other quotes in besides the one from Laurence Llewelyn Bowen.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2007, 20:10   #17
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Apparently the rest of the £40k is for the roof, which would need doing either way.
If any of our local 'prop' bandits charged that kind of money for such a small job, they would be jailed for at least 3 years, why do they always talk in telephone numbers when Council cash is on offer? £40.000 pounds is a lot of money, personally I would like to see an itemised account of the spending on the job labour content, materials and inspection charges. I will bet any of you on this site the archetcts fees are the highest ones. Wink wink nod nod fold first finger right hand back.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:12   #18
God Member

Well in all fairness to them, I've been in there lately (just testing out the chairs for size you understand) and the room is very, very much in disrepair. Plus, if they've been saving money over the last thirty years, let's just say for example £500 per year, that's £15k anyway. So swings and roundabouts, do it bit by bit each year or do it all at once every thirty years!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:14   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
If any of our local 'prop' bandits charged that kind of money for such a small job, they would be jailed for at least 3 years, why do they always talk in telephone numbers when Council cash is on offer? £40.000 pounds is a lot of money, personally I would like to see an itemised account of the spending on the job labour content, materials and inspection charges. I will bet any of you on this site the archetcts fees are the highest ones. Wink wink nod nod fold first finger right hand back.
You can always request the paperwork and figures with the freedom of information act.

Old 01-03-2007, 20:39   #20
Resting in peace

Quote:
You can always request the paperwork and figures with the freedom of information act.
And get a load of bulldung Gayle get real £40.000 for a 'toshing' job and a few oversized seats, can I have the job pl-----ease. Codswallop.
Old 01-03-2007, 20:41   #21
God Member

If you use FOI you get all the paperwork.

Old 01-03-2007, 20:44   #22
Resting in peace

Quote:
If you use FOI you get all the paperwork.
No need to bother Gayle I already have it I nicked it out of the toilets.
Old 01-03-2007, 20:47   #23
God Member

Let's just wait until the Telegraph uses FOI to find out for us - they're no strangers to using it.

Old 01-03-2007, 20:49   #24
Resting in peace

Quote:
Let's just wait until the Telegraph uses FOI to find out for us - they're no strangers to using it.
There is no politicaly correct answer to that.
Old 01-03-2007, 20:50   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
There is no politicaly correct answer to that.
In that case I can't be offended.

Old 01-03-2007, 23:13   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well in all fairness to them, I've been in there lately (just testing out the chairs for size you understand) and the room is very, very much in disrepair. Plus, if they've been saving money over the last thirty years, let's just say for example £500 per year, that's £15k anyway. So swings and roundabouts, do it bit by bit each year or do it all at once every thirty years!
Taking inflation into consideration, if they'd have spent your suggested 500 quid in 1974 that would have been an outrageous amount.

It isn't a false economy to spend relatively small amounts on the upkeep of a building, it's prudent. Much better to repair one single roof tile, than for a building to fall down if the rain gets in, and the whole thing has to be built again from scratch.

Not a popular concept with any political party, but then again they all only think five years hence, and not about the more long term, or bigger picture.

Old 02-03-2007, 16:11   #27
God Member

But, and again I don't want to sound too much like I'm defending the Conservatives but there's always a first so here goes - they haven't had any spare money in the budget for a long time so even a small amount couldn't have been spent on the luxury of redecorating the chambers. I realise what you mean about putting a bit aside each year but they haven't been able to do that. I'm not saying the council is rich at the moment but from what I understand books are balanced so that they can put forward an amount for these repairs.

I think I need a lie down - I actually said something positive about the Conservative's management of the council.

Old 02-03-2007, 16:42   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
just testing out the chairs for size you understand
Did you say recently it was hard to offend you - I best leave now then

Well after this

Quote:
Old 02-03-2007, 16:57   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Did you say recently it was hard to offend you - I best leave now then
Don't tell me you're too chicken to try.

Old 02-03-2007, 17:42   #30
Give, give, give member

As stated earlier, both the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, and the Accrington Observer reported the cost for the refurbisment of the room to be £40,000.

Nowhere was it reported it to be less, other than for Gayle kindly telling us.

Again as earlier, whoever is releasing information to the press on behalf of HBC, isn't doing a very good job, if indeed it will be redecorated for the lesser amount.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..