Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2012, 04:56   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Charity Collectors On Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
See post 8,
I have seen that but I doubt a Councillor can ask to see a persons license. It will probably be some council officers and I was wondering who.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:12   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I wonder who has the authority to check them out and what would happen if they don't have a license.
If I remember rightly Neil you get a letter from the Licensing authority, which list all the dos and don'ts and I think must be available for inspection on the day of collection, I always used to take that letter with me when out collecting. Just seen your above post Neil, would think any councillor could ask to see the authorisation
Old 17-03-2012, 10:05   #18
Resting In Peace

From HBC website:

Only local authorities issue street collection licences under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that Act.

As it's an offence under this law not to have a licence then surely it's down to the police to check them out and prosecute. Probably means it'll never happen.

Don't think councillors would have any authority at all.
Old 17-03-2012, 12:48   #19
God Member

well if benches are removed to stop alcholics gathering in town center then maybe ban money from town center so theres no reason for charity collectors to be there.

i dont see any point in wasting police time with crime infact not getting them to do their job is working so well why start making them do it now?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 17:13   #20

I saw some collectors on Broadway today in silly hats collecting for Marie Curie cancer care.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 18:28   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
From HBC website:

Only local authorities issue street collection licences under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that Act.

As it's an offence under this law not to have a licence then surely it's down to the police to check them out and prosecute. Probably means it'll never happen.

Don't think councillors would have any authority at all.
Thank you for the info, I also do not think a councillor has any authority to enforce anything the council is responsible for like licensing or litter/dog fines etc
Old 18-03-2012, 11:13   #22
Senior Member+

Why don't the Police just have a copy of who has a licence to collect for each week and then when on duty they could check??
Old 18-03-2012, 11:35   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Why don't the Police just have a copy of who has a licence to collect for each week and then when on duty they could check??
Probably cost too much in admin for the council to send a list to the police.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:47   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Probably cost too much in admin for the council to send a list to the police.
What a first class stamp, they have been known to send out, by post, a final demands for 2p none payment of council tax susie
Old 18-03-2012, 14:17   #25
Senior Member+

The register of licenses may be available for public view at the council offices. This is doing my blood pressure no good. The offences here isn't just collecting without a licence, but obtaining money ( a pecuniary advantage) by deception.It is a matter for the police.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 15:53   #26
God Member

if you want the police to act ring 999 and report them.Every 999 call has to be responed to but the calls do get prooritised so it could be up to 2-3 days until they attend depending how serious the think obtaining money by deception is

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 18-03-2012, 15:58   #27
Resting in Peace

To be fair here, we don't know whether this 'profusion' (don't know the collective noun for collectors ) of charity collectors were operating illegally.

Understand this is a duty that has been consigned to the PCSO's, so that Police Officers can get on with other important matters.

We also don't know how often they check up on them, do we. I feel sure they will quite often. So doesn't seem fair to criticise the Police Force here without knowing any facts.

It would be the Council, from what I gather, that would decide on a prosecution or not.

Last edited by katex; 18-03-2012 at 16:01.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 16:07   #28
God Member

surely if they are operating without a licence they are obtaining money by deception which is an issue for the police.If they are a propper fund raising group they would be squeaky clean and adhere to the rules.If someone is collecting without a licence/permission its not too far a stretch to assume the money is going diectly into their pockets at the end of the day.

i dont think theres any problem if somone thinks something is amiss and decides to ring the police especially as the same group of people are collecting for multiple charities which in its self is odd unless people are now paid to collect money which seems even more odd

Old 18-03-2012, 17:33   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
surely if they are operating without a licence they are obtaining money by deception which is an issue for the police.If they are a proper fund raising group they would be squeaky clean and adhere to the rules.If someone is collecting without a licence/permission its not too far a stretch to assume the money is going directly into their pockets at the end of the day.

i dont think there's any problem if someone thinks something is amiss and decides to ring the police especially as the same group of people are collecting for multiple charities which in its self is odd unless people are now paid to collect money which seems even more odd
Not as odd as you think accyman, you want to take a look at the balance sheet of most of the national charities, and see just how much money is paid in wages, will open your eyes, it certainly opened mine.
Old 18-03-2012, 17:37   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Understand this is a duty that has been consigned to the PCSO's, so that Police Officers can get on with other important matters.

It would be the Council, from what I gather, that would decide on a prosecution or not.
Honestly, I am not even sure about this. Some Councils talk about 'Council Enforcement Staff' who carry out this enforcement. Are they part of the Lawyers' Office ? Staff appears to be low on the ground for approaching street collectors, and haven't time to wander the streets looking for culprits. Also, most don't work on Saturdays.

Perhaps the police only get involved when there is disruption to the flow of foot fall or some sort of franchais breaks out ?

I would presume that once someone is prosecuted for having no licence, then any suspected fraudulent activities may be reported to the police.

Don't think any of the posters on this thread actually know the facts, we're all just speculating ....

Will look forward to Cllr. Pritchard filling us in on this.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..