Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2007, 18:26   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Child benefit to Poland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
When it comes to voting in the General Election please remember this thread and vote for a party who will deal with this big problem
Who.......?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2007, 11:30   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cherokee, I agree with a lot of your sentiments, but we can tell governments what we want......but do you think that they will listen?
Look at the number of people who got off their butt cheeks and demonstrated against the government on the Iraq issue......did it make any difference? No....of course it didn't. That is because, politicians will promise anything to get elected...once elected they jump on the gravy train and do what they damn well please......and bu88er the electorate that put them in place. British people still believe that the right way is through 'due process' and the ballot box.....despite have experience that proves otherwise.

It was still a very thought provoking post though.

I agree MP but even the number of people who demonstrated werent sadly no where near enough. there is no solution to the way this country is IMO you can have one leader creating a mess and another left to pick up the pieces but without better solutions to handle ie, the next generation of chavs etc immigrents and the whole of the benefit system reviewed it will only get worse , our country is too busy looking after other countries outcasts its lost sight of its own people,
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:05   #48
Senior Member+

sucsesive governments have never and will
never tackle the problem of immigrants into this country
engels wrote in 1845 about problems with the immigrant irish
if you took the the time to read the book
conditions of the working class all that was written then is still relevent today
we had a large influx of polish people during and after the war with little out cry
in fact my grt aunt married one and had a shop for many years next door to the spread eagle whilst governments change we never get rid of the ministers who make policy the programme on tv ..yes minister.. was so true
we need mimisters who are electable as well as mps

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:38   #49
God Member

Ministers ARE elected (they are appointed by the PM from the elected bunch of MPs)
It is the civil servant advisors to those ministers, who influence, but don't dictate, government policies and legislation

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 14:04   #50
Senior Member+

i stand corrected margaret civil servants who seldom
if ever lose their positions and advise strongly
rather than influence should be replaced with each succsessive government

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 15:55   #51
God Member

The most annoying thing about all this IMO is the fact that these people are adviced in their own country what benefits they are entitled to. They are not even putting the money back into the economy. Yet we have residents of this country who do not know there is money in the pot for their benefit. Do we have people informing our old people what they can claim? It is blatant discrimination against our own people IMO.
Old 25-09-2007, 16:50   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
My job from has, for the last 4 years, involved investigating fraudulent claims for Tax Credits. While I can honestly say the Poles very rarely try to claim anything fraudulently they do claim everything they can. They come into my office's Enquiry Centre almost as soon as they arrive in the country, usually accompanied by an adviser/interpreter who has lists of everything they can claim. They can claim Working Tax Credit as soon as they get a job, if the pay is low. Once they are entitled to Child Benefit they are able to claim Child Tax Credit and, it's true, the child doesn't have to be in this country.

I am retiring next week and I have just been informed that my Widow's Pension, which has been paid since my husband died and is based on his contributions, is to be cut by £30 a week as I will have a small Civil Service pension (and, yes, it is small). I have paid tax and NIC all my working life, so did my husband, but people can come into the country having contributed absolutely nothing, be praised for "doing low paid jobs the British don't want to do" and be given every Benefit going. It makes me very, very angry.
It's disgusting

The amount of tax I personally must pay yearly is incredible compared to if I upped and went to live elsewhere. All I ask is that the tax that I pay is spent wisely and I'm looked after later on in life. I don't think that's asking too much, but it seems very unlikely.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..