Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 10:30   #1
Resting in Peace

child benefits for Poles

It appears that the influx of Polish workers has opened up a new cash cow at our expence. Poles who have come to work in ths country have claimed £28 million in child benefits, for kids not living in this country, courtesy of the EU rules which allowes migrant workers to claim the benefit. Beam me up Scotty
Old 08-03-2008, 10:37   #2
Senior Member+

Post Re: child benefits for Poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It appears that the influx of Polish workers has opened up a new cash cow at our expence. Poles who have come to work in ths country have claimed £28 million in child benefits, for kids not living in this country, courtesy of the EU rules which allowes migrant workers to claim the benefit. Beam me up Scotty
i dont think thats fair at all, if i was to move back to spain i would not have the cheek of claim benefits if im not in the country, disgusting this is
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40   #3
God Member

Re: child benefits for Poles

I seem to remember talking about this before, Jaysay.

It seems ludicrous to me that Polish people working in England can claim child benefit for their children who are living at home in Poland.

I suppose it also means that if we went to work in Poland we would be able to claim child benefit for our children in England but I don't suppose that's happening very often.

Child benefit in any country should just be for children living in that country.

The whole child benefit system is silly to me anyway. It should be means tested. Anyone with a child gets it at present. This means that we are paying child benefit to Madonna, Victoria Beckham, Davina McCall etc.

I bet they don't even notice whether it has gone in or not.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43   #4
Senior Member+

The whole child benefit system is silly to me anyway. It should be means tested. Anyone with a child gets it at present. This means that we are paying child benefit to Madonna, Victoria Beckham, Davina McCall etc.

I bet they don't even notice whether it has gone in or not.[/quote]

I very much doubt that they are claimming benefits
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:47   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post

I bet they don't even notice whether it has gone in or not.

I very much doubt that they are claimming benefits[/quote]

Anyone with a child is eligible for child benefit. The only criteria is that you have a child so they will have been given the forms to fill in like everyone else when they gave birth. This should not happen in my opinion.

We don't know whether they actually filled the forms in but they shouldn't be handed them in the first place.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:09   #6
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I would love to hear the views of the idiots in the Stanley section who recently attempted to slag me off, please try to defend this story.

Racist my arse this is about looking after our own people first.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:34   #7
Loz

Doesn't surprise me but it does anger me.
No wonder every Tom,Dick and Harry wants to come to Britain.
Old 08-03-2008, 13:18   #8
God Member

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...and-33702.html

all been said here as well ........
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 14:00   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...and-33702.html

all been said here as well ........
I didn't know there was already a thread on this issue, as My account was suspended at the time
Old 08-03-2008, 14:05   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I didn't know there was already a thread on this issue, as My account was suspended at the time
ya must be a right bad buggar then.
Old 08-03-2008, 16:21   #11
God Member

I don't think it's a bad thing. Polish people come to work here so they can have a better life, and if they cant afford to bring their children over or dont want their children here, then whats so bad about them just sending the money back to their families? They'll pay tax just like everyone else.

If it's more a whinge about the country forking out to children that are no benefit to them, well true they are not going to be our future doctors, teachers etc, but if the polish people, or any other nationality, was only able to have CB for their children if they were in this country and had to bring them over, a lot more money would be being spent on their children via schools, health care, and when they're educated there would be nothing stopping them just leaving the country. I think this way is actually LIGHTER on the pocket.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 16:27   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i reckon what most folk are bitching about is these people that come here have paid NOTHING into our system, they should not be entitled to child benifit, our system should benifit peoples childeren who are born here,is that so unreasonable to you?
Old 08-03-2008, 16:31   #13
God Member

I think if somebody hasn't paid in to our tax system yet then I guess they couldn't really care less what happens to it.
Old 08-03-2008, 16:33   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i reckon what most folk are bitching about is these people that come here have paid NOTHING into our system, they should not be entitled to child benifit, our system should benifit peoples childeren who are born here,is that so unreasonable to you?
Well the EU works both ways, if we wanted to go to an EU country and have access to their benefits and work in their countries then we could. I hate to slag off the Polish people when they generally have such a good work ethic, and they work so much harder than me and for so much less. I like that their children can have a better life in their own country for the sacrifice of a parent.

Maybe I don't think it's bad because I haven't had to work all my life yet like some people on this forum, maybe its because I as a student depend on benefits so I would be saddened if I was stripped of my funding?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 16:35   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
maybe its because I as a student depend on benefits so I would be saddened if I was stripped of my funding?
Yet again it's turned in to a me me me thread by Blazey. Nobody was on about funding for students !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..