Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2007, 11:09   #1
God Member

Clampdown On Uniform Scam

About time too !!

Government poised for school uniform crackdown

The government is preparing to take measures to prevent schools forming exclusive deals with retailers over school uniforms that allow shops to exploit their monopoly position with high prices.

A recent survey by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) showed that on average parents were overcharged by £45 million per year under the price fixing conditions.

The Department for Education and the OFT are now preparing to act over fears that expensive uniforms are deterring some parents from trying to enrol their children in particular schools.

Action may even include prosecuting schools that continue with uncompetitive price-fixing deals.

Education minister Jim Knight said: "I want every child to be able to go to the school of their choice and unfair and expensive uniform policies can prevent this.

"Schools should set affordable uniform policies that do not seek to make additional money through expensive and exclusive contracts," he added.
Old 22-02-2007, 11:22   #2
God Member

Re: Clampdown On Uniform Scam

It can only be a good thing, I know my daughters school has a deal with Abbey St Shopping centre but you can get the uniform, though without school logo, at Asda, M&S etc.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 11:24   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
It can only be a good thing, I know my daughters school has a deal with Abbey St Shopping centre but you can get the uniform, though without school logo, at Asda, M&S etc.

They will no doubt get round it buy allowing you to buy a plain jumper at Asda then charging £50 for the badge at school.
Old 22-02-2007, 11:25   #4
I am Banned

Thank god will stop Abbey st being the only place to get uniform, especially when school requires logo'd stuff!! Hope this comes into force asap as this year i've got to find a huge budget to get high school uniform this year & no grant to help low income people is going to be hard!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 11:31   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
They will no doubt get round it buy allowing you to buy a plain jumper at Asda then charging £50 for the badge at school.
I'm not sure that you're required to wear logo'd stuff as the uniform isn't compulsary (infant reception class) only preferred.
Old 22-02-2007, 11:33   #6
Give, give, give member

I agree that monopolies are wrong, and that uniforms should be able to be purchased from any number of retailers, thus making it more affordable for all.

However I think a lot of the local school uniforms are appalling. Sweat shirts, polo shirts, no school tie, no blazers, make them look like they are going to flip burgers rather than to places of learning.

In the work place most of us have to adhere to some sort of uniform, be it safety clothes on the factory floor, or a suit, shirt, and tie in a bank. Wearing a uniform should make you proud to be part of somewhere, and not like you've just finished a shift at a kebab shop.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 11:36   #7
God Member

I agree with the shirt/tie option G, Ellie wears the polo and sweatshirt and I have to admit it does look scruffy, next year she'll be having white shirt and tie!
Old 22-02-2007, 11:37   #8
I am Banned

The whole point of uniform is that its to be inclusive for all pupils & not an indication of parental income & subject to bullying which it was the main angle for it, nowadays its become a lucrative business & making a lot of parents struggle with their budgets in order that their child has full uniform!!

I bet i could get a good full smart suit maybe several to work in a bank or whatever cheaper than i can get a childs high school uniform for
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 11:40   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I agree with the shirt/tie option G, Ellie wears the polo and sweatshirt and I have to admit it does look scruffy, next year she'll be having white shirt and tie!

The only school children I see regularly are from Rhyddings. They wear a turquoise sweat shirt and black(ish) trousers, both boys and girls, and it looks appalling...but I suppose matches the behaviour and language of a lot of them.

You can still have an affordable, easy care uniform that looks smart, and makes children feel proud to put it on.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 11:46   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
The whole point of uniform is that its to be inclusive for all pupils & not an indication of parental income & subject to bullying which it was the main angle for it, nowadays its become a lucrative business & making a lot of parents struggle with their budgets in order that their child has full uniform!!

I bet i could get a good full smart suit maybe several to work in a bank or whatever cheaper than i can get a childs high school uniform for

I delivered to Barden mill this morning and ive also had a few suits from there and you can get plenty of them from 10 pounds upwards so yes i agree with you on that mel.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 12:00   #11
God Member

When I was at Rhyddings we had to wear blue shirt, tie, blazer, black trousers, dark socks and black shoes. There was only teh blazer that had any sort of logo on and you bought teh badge for a couple of quid at school and sewed it on yourself. We did suffer a bit of snobbery as teh rich kids had Kappa/Lacoste/Sergio Tachinni etc whilst others had to make do with in my case home knitted.

I see the kids now and its disgraceful, they look scruffy.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 12:13   #12
God Member

Mount Carmel kids still wear blazer, shirt & tie and I must admit they do look smart, don't do too badly with the prices either as I usually can get the lot at Asda & just sew the school badge on the blazer. Abbey Street is a rip off, they now sell the blazers with the badge ready sewn on, which I must admit I was tempted by after years of sore fingers from sewing the damn things on, but I was soon put off by the price they charge for them.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 12:16   #13
God Member

The uniforms from Abbey St dont wash well either, so high prices but bad quality.
Old 22-02-2007, 14:36   #14
I am Banned

a head teacher of a school up haslingden has changed teh colour of the uniforms from red to purple simply because purple is her favourite colour leaving those kids whos parents cant afford to buy a new uniform set or want to buy replacements so soon to stand out from everyone else

i forget the name of the school but this half wits antics besides the uniform fiasco has resulted in most of teh good teaching staff resigning or going to other schools
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 14:45   #15
Resident Waffler

The year Mimi started at Moorhead I didn't even have the option of buying the uniform from Abbey St - school had not informed them of the new colours and were supplying the uniform through the school at inflated prices and putting the profits into school funds. There were a lot of disgruntled people who bought the things through school and then later, when Abbey St knew what the colours were, found that they did them cheaper.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..