Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2007, 16:32   #1

Question Coincidences

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this but I'm sure the mods will decide!
I came across this list of coincidences about presidents Lincoln & Kennedy, it sure is spooky.

Lincoln was elected president in 1860 (having been elected to congress in 1846), Kennedy was elected president in 1960 (having been elected to congress in 1946)

Both were directly involved in civil rights for black people

Lincoln had a secretary called Kennedy, Kennedy had a secretary called Lincoln.

Both presidents were shot in the head (from behind) & both were with their wives at the time.

Both wives lost children whilst living at the White House.

Both assassinations were on a Friday, both were warned there could be an attempt and both refused to change their schedule.

Lincoln was shot in a theatre by a man who hid in a warehouse, Kennedy was shot from a warehouse by a man who hid in a theatre.

Kennedy was riding in a Lincoln when he was shot.

Lincolns assassin (John Wilkes Booth) was a southerner in his 20's, as was Kennedys (Lee Harvey Oswald). Both assassins were known by their 3 names, and both were shot before they came to trial.

Lincoln was succeeded by his vice-prsident, Andrew Johnson, born in 1808, Kennedy was succeeded by his vice-president Lyndon Johnson born in 1908.

Does anyone know of any other spooky coincidences?

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 23-06-2007 at 16:35.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2007, 19:26   #2
I am Band

Wink Re: Coincidences

Been there. Seen it. Janet done it.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 11:08   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Coincidences

That's been on the internet for years and I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of those 'coincidences' were not correct anyway.
Old 24-06-2007, 18:45   #4
Yank in King Art's Court!

Jelly belly, yes I've seen those before also. However, it certainly doesn't hurt anyone to post something like this. You never know who hasn't seen it or maybe can get a good conversation going. Hopefully others can come up with a response to you question of coincidental occurrences.

I had thought all those things stated were true. Tin Monkey, do you remember which of those mentioned have been challenged? I believe that alone would make for good conversation.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 20:53   #5
Senior Member+

For example:
Lincoln had a secretary called Kennedy, Kennedy had a secretary called Lincoln.

This is one of those coincidences that isn't a coincidence at all -- it's simply wrong. John Kennedy did have a secretary named Evelyn Lincoln, but one searches in vain to find a Lincoln secretary named Kennedy. (Lincoln's White House secretaries were John G. Nicolay and John Hay.)

Taken from: Urban Legends Reference Pages: History (Linkin' Kennedy) which dismantles this urban myth quite thoroughly.

Apparently this list of coincidences first originated around 1964, so it's even older than I thought.
Old 24-06-2007, 21:52   #6
Senior Member+

if u look hard enough u can find lots of coincidences in things

its like after 9/11 people were bringing up loads of coincidences with 911 and wingdings font...
Old 24-06-2007, 22:15   #7
Resident Waffler

If you look hard enough you'll probably find Nostradamus predicted it all.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 22:32   #8

That's interesting about the secretaries Tin Monkey. You'd think after this has come out for so long that someone would have at least corrected that one. I mean, like you discovered, it's pretty easy to dispel something like that. Thanks for finding that!

Brian

Old 24-06-2007, 23:29   #9
Give, give, give member

I was born just as Winston Churchill died...and we both smoke.

Weird or what!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 00:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was born just as Winston Churchill died...and we both smoke.

Weird or what!
And I was born on December 7, 1960, merely 39 years from the exact date of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Oh oh, just thought Rindy . . . Winston was involved somewhat in that date too eh? What with that whole war thing you guys were trying to manage all alone!

Old 25-06-2007, 08:30   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
That's interesting about the secretaries Tin Monkey. You'd think after this has come out for so long that someone would have at least corrected that one. I mean, like you discovered, it's pretty easy to dispel something like that. Thanks for finding that!
You're welcome. Snopes is pretty good an investigating urban legends and deconstructing them. I sometimes look on there and find things I thought were true, but obviously were not.
Old 25-06-2007, 16:46   #12

Here is the site I usually check out when suspect emails come my way. Odd that 90% of these emails come from my dear mother-in-law. They run the gammit from Microsoft giving away lots of money to Bill Clinton was an alien life force that had an insatiable need for womenly favors . . .

Truth Or Fiction - email reality check - verify rumors

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..