Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2008, 15:18   #1
I am Banned

Cold Calling

Had a phone call this afternnon from an unlisted number
Asian voice.
Hello were are asking you to take part in a survey for Blackburn with Darwen Council. I hung up.

Which local authority employes people on a Saturday afternoon, and not only that, but rings numbers outside Blackburn with Darwen area.

Somebody trying a scam or what. anyone else had this.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2008, 15:50   #2
God Member

Re: Cold Calling

ring them back and tell them that you are on a register that blocks cold calling and they broke the law

it may not be true but may make them think

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 16:00   #3
I am Banned

Can't reply they were using an unlisted number.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 16:03   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Can't reply they were using an unlisted number.

Retlaw
im sure they will have a number for darwen council in the phonebok though

i would ring and complain to the head of darwen and blackburn council

couldnt they at least given the job of calling people to local people and not a call center accross the other side of the world

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 21-06-2008, 16:30   #5
Give, give, give member

Perhaps they're doing a survey of people who've recently suggested Blackburn be bombed up by the I.R.A.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 16:31   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps they're doing a survey of people who've recently suggested Blackburn be bombed up by the I.R.A.
well alquiad aint gonna touch blackburn are they lol

Old 21-06-2008, 18:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Had a phone call this afternnon from an unlisted number
Asian voice.
Hello were are asking you to take part in a survey for Blackburn with Darwen Council. I hung up.

Which local authority employes people on a Saturday afternoon, and not only that, but rings numbers outside Blackburn with Darwen area.

Somebody trying a scam or what. anyone else had this.

Retlaw
On Monday morning ring the council offices on 585585 and ask for Member Services, then ask to be put through to any of the Executive Members that are in the offices. Ask them if they have commissioned a survey. If there are no Exec members present I would ask for Colin Rigbys secretary, she is usually very helpful and reliable.

This needs taking further as it could be a scam.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 09:48   #8
Resting in Peace

Well if it was a forign voice, maybe they are being miss led that 01254 numbers are just in Blackburn . I'd certainly do what polly said anyway. I often get calls with an American voice saying I've been selected, for what I don't know as I hang up right away. Even though I'm on the preferred callers list, calls from outside Britain still get through

Last edited by jaysay; 22-06-2008 at 09:52.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 21:29   #9
Senior Member+

I got one of these calls today (I actually live round the corner from retlaw...also not in blackburn or Darwen)

I said........how did you get my number?
said i was registered to not get these calls and i am also exdirectory!

He hung up!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 22:21   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cold Calling

Yep! I had one on a Sunday a couple of weeks back.

We exchanged views on why I thought his call was a scam of some sort. Actually it was only me doing the talking. He never got a chance to get a word in before I put the phone down.

But he was left in no doubt about what would happen if he rang me again.
Old 24-06-2008, 22:22   #11
Senior Member+

popye!!! please can i have some karma

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 25-06-2008, 10:22   #12
Senior Member+

thanks for the bad karma who ever it was....
the above post is actually a joke between jambutty and myself!

Old 25-06-2008, 10:46   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

look at ya karma now!! em
Old 25-06-2008, 10:51   #14
Senior Member+

awww... thankyou

Old 25-06-2008, 11:45   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cold Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
popye!!! please can i have some karma
I saw your post late last night emamum23 but I was just too tired to think of a suitable response.

But now I’m bright eyed and bushy tailed, fortified with two Weetabix with ice cold full cream milk suitably sweetened with real sugar, a decent brew and a fag (or three) my brain cell is thinking clearly. If only I could see my keyboard through the smoke!!!

I’m glad I waited though, ‘cos I see that the cowardly, insignificant, twerps are still at it. You can rest assured that it wasn’t me, although I doubt if you suspected that it was.

My response is not going to establish a precedent, so don’t anyone else ask, but you got your Karma mainly to counter the anonymous coward and for having the cheek to ask.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..