Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2006, 18:06   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Cold Comfort NHS Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Hospital food is not hotel standard by any means....and when I was working, there was always a choice of a cold meal.....some people eat their hot meal at lunchtimes....others in the evening.
Food is an integral part of getting better. If you do not provide appetising meals then the economy is a false one....more food is wasted...and patient do not recover as promptly.
I think this economy measure is flawed.
I agree with you wholeheartedly Margaret, you need food to help you recover from any illness, this cut can in some cases prolong stays in hospital
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2006, 22:59   #17
God Member

The last time I had to stay in hospital i only eat two meals and i was in there for four days. Wasnt allowed to eat until i'd had my op and didnt go down to theatre till midnight then got my breakfast and had dinner was sick and after that i didnt eat the docs wouldnt let me eat and told me that i could go home before they even let me out of my bed!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 06:38   #18
God Member

I'm actually surprised that in the new hospital they didn't leave space for a macdonalds/burger king franchise. It would make a fortune in blackburn

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 10:33   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I'm actually surprised that in the new hospital they didn't leave space for a macdonalds/burger king franchise. It would make a fortune in blackburn
There proberly is space but the rents both would be charged are too high. What about a nice little burger van?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 12:22   #20
God Member

Yes a burger van! Then we'll have a fully enclusive site! Go get burger, get food poisoning, visit onsite hospital!
Old 25-07-2006, 12:46   #21
Beacon of light

Lots of hospitals in Oz have such facilities. They also have ATM's and gift and flower shops. Come to think of it the Christie Hospital has a cafe in the foyer....and a gift shop. It might generate enough income to help the RBH out of its current financial fix.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 12:56   #22
God Member

Margaret - are you serious? The aim of the NHS is to cure illness, not cause it.There are enough problems already in the incidence of MRSA and C.difficile within our hospitals without placing salmonella-ridden burger vans outside every front entrance. In addition, there are huge long term problems building up with young persons obesity levels, the primary cause of which is the consumption of junk food. And you want this rubbish to be commercially available in hospitals so that trusts can make a few bob in rental income?

Please, think again. The likes of Macs, KFC's and filthy burger vans should not be allowed within 10 miles of a hospital.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 13:10   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Cold Comfort NHS Style

The shop at Queens Park sold crisps, various sorts of biscuits, bacon butties and a variety of ‘wrong’ food.
Old 25-07-2006, 13:11   #24
Beacon of light

Tealeaf, you must have got me mixed up with someone else.......I didn't mention MacDonalds, KFC or any of those franchises. I simply said that
many hospitlas in Oz offered some sort of food, gift and flower shops in their foyer........and that the Christie had a little cafe and a gift shop in its' foyer.......and I suggested that such outlets may bring the RBH some revenue to help them out of their current financial crisis....which would be better thancurtailing a hot meal service to patients.

In one of the big hospitals in Oz, there is a MacDonalds outlet.....and you know who are the most regular visitors....the kids having Chemo.....and they get their shakes and fries free......they go there with their families and you can see them with their drips and their bandannas.....and for some it may be the only thing they will eat while they are on these drugs. Yes we do have a problem with obesity, but as I have said in other posts on the subject, childhood obesity is a multi-faceted problem, which requires a multi-faceted approach.
After all, unless I am very much mistaken there is a KFC just across the Road from the bottom end of the RBH.....if folk really want to eat that junk, then they will go across the road.
If you check my post i don't recall mentioning burger vans.
Old 25-07-2006, 13:22   #25
God Member

Margaret, I took your post as being in reply to those of Enti & Spugs. I have visted many hospitals myself and I know the range of retail outlets that are available. In the grounds of the Royal London - not to far away from where I write - there are several craft stalls most days of the week, while there is also a resident WH Smiths shop & a hospital volunteers shop. There used to be a massive Macs at Guy's hospital - it may still be there.

I have no argument with subletting surplus or planned floorspace for commercial activities, if it means the hospital makes money out of it. However, like car-parking fees and pay as you go telly & phones, junk food outlets can cause more hidden harm than good.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 13:44   #26
Beacon of light

Ah, I see......!
I do not agree with the patientline rip off (TV and phone lines)...these were services that were unopposed so they had a monopoly in the hospital premises......which effectively meant that patients had no choice. I do not see any harm in having some retail outlets......somewhere that you can buy a toothbrush if you are taken into hospital suddenly...and I don't mean at ripoff prices. Somehow, retailers think if you are incarcerated in a place that you can't easily get out of, they can (and do ) charge ridiculous prices.
The Christie has something similar.....they have a small cafe/Coffee shop.....the food is good, the sandwiches are fresh and they have a good choice. Used to take my Mum sometimes, when she was in there for a month having Radiotherapy..........sometimes she just 'fancied' something other than what was available on the ward. And what she fancied most of all was bacon and egg.......I know it isn't particularly healthy, but when you are having such treatment, foods lose their flavour, or they have a nasty metallic taste. So, yes....on the whole I do agree that fast food outlets may not be the way to go......but even MacDonalds are introducing foods that are not the usual 'Junk'......and sometimes just a little of what you fancy does you good....especially when you are ill.
Old 25-07-2006, 16:33   #27
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The new RBH has a large United News shop in the foyer. This is the same company which had the smaller shop in the portacabin at the back (now closed). There is also a cafe at the main entrance.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..