Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 20:51   #31

Re: The old commercial pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The area would look nicer if they both fell down. On second thought it would look better if everything within 500 yards of the traffic lights fell down.
Good to see that people appreciate our industrial heritage
andystanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2008, 21:00   #32
Senior Member+

Re: commercial

Apologies there andystanley but if you have a look at that particular bit of "heritage" it's an eyesore, derelict shops on one side, derelict pub and warehouse on the other. Now it would seem it's a dangerous eyesore.
You can't blame folk who live near it and pass it on a daily basis for being a bit cheesed off really; it's been like that for donkey's years and nothings been done.
Hardly sits well with the regeneration and new health centres does it? Not exactly a welcoming sight if you are a visitor coming to Accrington for the first time is it ?
Old 02-02-2008, 21:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Apologies there andystanley but if you have a look at that particular bit of "heritage" it's an eyesore, derelict shops on one side, derelict pub and warehouse on the other. Now it would seem it's a dangerous eyesore.
You can't blame folk who live near it and pass it on a daily basis for being a bit cheesed off really; it's been like that for donkey's years and nothings been done.
Hardly sits well with the regeneration and new health centres does it? Not exactly a welcoming sight if you are a visitor coming to Accrington for the first time is it ?
I would rather drive past a building like "that" than any of the new health centre, projectss etc. It's a G2 listed building for good reason. and probably more deserving of a CPO and restoration than any of the other "regeneration" CPOs down that way
Old 02-02-2008, 21:10   #34

Quote:
Knock them all down, make more room for the caravans.
b-sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 21:13   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-sound View Post
Knock them all down, make more room for the caravans.
That's all you get on it if it was razed to the ground !
The whole area needs thoughtful redevelopment, the Commercial was/ is a substantial building and the area at the rear of it next to the canal could be really pleasant, sadly the proximity of the rather noxious Blythes and Ashworths factories will hinder any plans.
Old 02-02-2008, 21:19   #36

Quote:
"particular" piece of heritage in question is the warehouse, not the derelict pub and shops. if you cant appreciate a piece of architecture like that, and it's significance in the "commercial" history of church, then that explains your response.
Old 02-02-2008, 21:37   #37
Senior Member+

I was simply replying to the earlier responses that the whole surrounding area is such a mess that no one could tell which bit had actually collapsed. I have a great affection for Accy and it's environs, it's really sad that the remaining parts of our industrial heritage are in this appalling state of disrepair, if folk were less blinkered and more open to new ideas on conservation then this wouldn't happen ... Owl Hall (I rest my case.)
Old 02-02-2008, 21:55   #38

Quote:
I was simply replying to the earlier responses that the whole surrounding area is such a mess that no one could tell which bit had actually collapsed. I have a great affection for Accy and it's environs, it's really sad that the remaining parts of our industrial heritage are in this appalling state of disrepair, if folk were less blinkered and more open to new ideas on conservation then this wouldn't happen ... Owl Hall (I rest my case.)
That's the difference. some "Blinkered" people like Neil, would have the whole lot knocked down, maybe in their place build some nice canalside dwellings for the workshy types....but I assume you are on the conservation/preservation side, so fair play.

I am not sure what your point is on Owl Hall, it's a contentious one, there are a number of differing opinions, mostly nimbies who bought houses built on green belt nearby (Colroy / Brookside estate) in the eighties, with no regard for surrounding residents, and now think that its wrong to allow development close to their houses. Having also had the play area removed from Arden Hall because their own chavvy kids were on there being noisy at night they now seek to prevent the restoration of Owl Hall. If the planners exercise a bit of common sense then they could probably persuade the developer to sympathetically restore the Hall before allowing any further development. (then maybe knock down some of them brooksidey houses that spoil his view!)
Old 02-02-2008, 22:02   #39
Senior Member+

I'm very much in favour of the conservation of these buildings, but we need to look at the bigger picture; for example when Oakhill mansion was literally falling down there were calls for demolition and objections to it being redeveloped as a nursing home, it's still there, looks great as a nursing home and has had the renovation needed. That building would have been lost to us all without the renovation, granted it's not a museum open to the public, granted it's a private concern but we can still see it and appreciate it's architecture. Better than nothing eh !
Old 02-02-2008, 22:19   #40

Quote:
I'm very much in favour of the conservation of these buildings, but we need to look at the bigger picture; for example when Oakhill mansion was literally falling down there were calls for demolition and objections to it being redeveloped as a nursing home, it's still there, looks great as a nursing home and has had the renovation needed. That building would have been lost to us all without the renovation, granted it's not a museum open to the public, granted it's a private concern but we can still see it and appreciate it's architecture. Better than nothing eh !
So... It seems that we agree. Conserve not demolish. Preserve (albeit with another use) these grand buildings!
Old 02-02-2008, 22:22   #41
Senior Member+

Looks that way ! Blimey, doncha just lurve a happy ending !
Old 03-02-2008, 00:40   #42
Accy Goddess

Dose anybody know how long it's going to be blocked off. I was pretty peed off yesterday when I was going to work at 5.00 and couldn't get through.
No way round except though all the mud at fox hill. It was dark muddy n horrible. just glad I had decided to put my boots on. I don't usually wear them for work.
I was not an happy bunny when I got to work.
Luckily I got a lift home at 10.00
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36   #43
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

well blackburn rd must still be blocked off this morning, ya should have see all the traffic coming along harvey street in ossy!, even union rd is chocka block!
Old 05-02-2008, 21:35   #44
God Member

Blackburn Road at traffic lights is open again!

Thank God. The traffic in Ossy has been horrific this week.
Old 14-02-2008, 06:09   #45
Resting in Peace

i found these on the camera i forgot to put them on while the road was closed sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2910.JPG (133.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2911.JPG (159.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2912.JPG (238.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2914.JPG (107.4 KB, 23 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..