Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 07:19   #1
mez
God Member

Commitee?

Having been part of some ongoing debates on here the past couple of day's........ie; arndale clock..........& the accrington carnival 2007, why has there been no mention of forming a commitee, seems that we are all backwards & forwards on these issues.
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2005, 07:22   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Commitee?

Are the moderators not the committee of a forum?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:29   #3
mez
God Member

[/B]what im meaning is NOT THE MODERATORS,i understand that they look after the site(forum) i mean something like" the friends of rhyddings park" people who would volunteer to look into getting things off the ground & shall i say "fight " to give idea's to h.b.c bout the clock........& find things out ie: costs of hiring (or getting free) equipent for accy carnival, instead of being all over the show, LETS UNITE FOR ONCE, WORK TO-GETHER.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:30   #4
God Member

Would that not be seen as getting a bit clique'e. This was to me a place to chat with/about where I grew up. If you start getting committees etc then I feel it may become a bit formal.

Before you know it it would be AGMs at dawn.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:35   #5
mez
God Member

thought that was the meets on saturdays? he he
its only a suggestion .............mabe wrong again?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:46   #6
I am Banned

I suppose this is an informal committee is Accyweb but forming an official one may put some people off with it being too formal, tho having a thread soley for specific issues like the clock & the Carnival, so that people can still participate at a comfortable level. It will still generate idea's & if someone can do something ie freebies or whatever then they can gladly offer it without all the hassle that a formal committee can pose.

Just my thoughts
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:51   #7
Resident Waffler

Sounds like a good idea Mez. Otherwise things never really get followed up do they? It wouldn't be cliquey if the committee(s) reported back to accyWeb regarding progress.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:54   #8
mez
God Member

yes accystanmac you hit the nail on the head so to speak, that is the idea i was thinking of.& no i don't want any part of it, just throw some idea's in now & again.

Last edited by mez; 09-09-2005 at 09:55.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:57   #9
Resident Waffler

We can't all be personally involved in everything (after all some of us aren't local) but if nobody is actually rsponsible for things then everybody tends to end up thinking that somebody else will do it or is doing it.

That reminds me, did anything come of the wrist bands that were being discussed before we went on holiday?

Old 09-09-2005, 10:01   #10
I am Banned

Ooh thanks Mez

Just that i know that people here would be only too glad to help but the formal committee may put them off proposing ideas & help, whereas specific threads kept for purposes of promoting input & help will generate more. Some people arn't comfortable with official committtees & sometimes tend to be more issues with it rather than the purpose its there for, as entwisi mentioned about clique'e, or modest to come forward to help.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07   #11
I am Banned

Think it helps also to be direct with it rather than go round the houses sort of speak. If people want ideas - then ask for ideas, if u want action for something - ask for it or who will be prepared to take action in whatever, then that way there will be a chance of thing being done or changed. Also this will include ex-pats or not immediately local or those who are limited by circumstances but can offer something rather than hidden away its all open for discussion at any point.

Do small things to mount to big change.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:08   #12
Resident Waffler

We would still need to actually appoint people to go and DO though.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:19   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
We would still need to actually appoint people to go and DO though.
True to a point though im trying to point out, who would those be? & there will be some people that would rather argue the appointment rather than the issue that needs tackling. I know we certainly cant please everyone but how would this vote be taken? & the clique'e issue will be either used or played.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:17   #14
Resident Waffler

Well I'd rather have people doing and telling than nobody doing anything.

I'm a school governor and we have committees which report back to the governing body as a whole. There are even small "working groups" for specific purposes. Otherwise it wouldn't function. Everybody can't do everything but nobody thinks of the committees as cliques because when they have done their thing then they report back and on it goes so everyone knows what's going on.

The appointees/committees could report back on here just as easily. Or we could all sit back and just type away to our hearts content and do nothing. Why don't we ask for nominations for a committee and then ask the nominees if they will accept? Even put it to a vote afterwards if you like just to be sure everyone is happy that they have had input.

Of course you couldn't expect people living abroad to have one-to-one dealings with HBC or something like that so it would have to be thought out in a practical way but there's nothng to stop ex-pats from writing letters if they wanted to is there?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 09-09-2005 at 11:21. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2005, 11:25   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am sorry but I just can't see what purpose a committee would serve.
I also think you should be discussing this with the owner of the forum, Roy, before people rush off and form a committee in the name of AccyWeb.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..