Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2003, 07:43   #1
Senior Member+

Post Conscription

Just like to know all your feelings,opinions on bringing Conscription back.I  feel it could help a lot of young people, in that they would get discipline, a trade and regular income.It is still a way of life in some European Countries
Old 01-10-2003, 08:25   #2
I am Banned

Post Re: Conscription

Doesnt that involve putting them in a uniform and teaching them how to handle a gun?

Duh!
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 10:33   #3
Jo

Do you mean like military service?
They've just done away with that in Italy, and it's about to go in ermany I think. I'm DEAD against it.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 10:37   #4
Senior Member+

I totally agree with you mik, a lot of young men seem to me to have no concept of values or discipline in there lives maybe this would install something that is lacking 2years national service is a good idea it never did my dad any harm.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:35   #5
Roy
Administrator

no way - a completely not good idea. People should be able to choose what they do not be forced into a possible wasting of 2 years. If people choose not to go to college or get a job then yes no problem get em in the army or something but otherwise - no way.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:47   #6
God Member

Can you imagine the Pakistani's being conscripted?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 13:16   #7
Jo

They wouldn't have to be if they have dual nationality as children - when they get to 18 they choose Pakistani nationality and get out of British military service, that's what all dual nationality lads do over here anyway.
Old 01-10-2003, 13:38   #8
God Member

Does Italy have a military?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 13:38   #9
Caz
God Member

Totally against military conscription.

Maybe some kind of boot camp in certain cases.

Surely if we had anything like this it would have to be girls as well, not just boys?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 13:44   #10
Jo

Italy had an obligatory military service until two years ago. It is now volontary. you can now choose to do military service or community service or neither. Girls can also choose. When it was obligatory, it was only so for boys. It compensates for those months a woman is pregnant......  ;D
Old 01-10-2003, 13:50   #11
I am Banned

volountry. thats interesting.. whats the sign up rate like.. populor or?

HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 13:53   #12
Jo

You can imagine Harry, it was a great relief to everyone that it's now volontary, don't know anyone who's signed up since - have no official figures, but I can imagine it's really low!
Old 01-10-2003, 18:12   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

;D   They had national service or community service in Spain. My mates boyfriend did his a few years ago and chose to do community service. They lived in Tenerife at the time and he had to take time off work twice a day to drive the school bus and drop all the kiddies off at home. He actually really enjoyed it and didn't want it to finish. I think it should be a choice. To conscript people into the Army is all well and good in theory, bear in mind how you would feel if it was a member of your family and they had to go to war. We were all worried about my cousin in Iraq, and he has been in the forces for years completely voluntarily

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 21:36   #14
Senior Member+

[quote author=Roy link=board=general;num=1064994222;start=0#4 date=10/01/03 at 12:35:09]no  If people choose not to go to college or get a job then yes no problem get em in the army or something but otherwise - no way.[/quote]
Exactly Roy that was more or less along the lines i was thinking.If somebody cannot or will not participate in further education or as sometimes it has been proven not wanting to get a job, a form of conscription could be a way of inserting some form of discipline or even another outlook on life when they have a reguluar income or trade to fall back on
Old 01-10-2003, 21:41   #15
Senior Member+

[quote author=Jo link=board=general;num=1064994222;start=0#9 date=10/01/03 at 14:44:20]. It is now volontary. you can now choose to do military service or community service or neither.
Simuliar to the German system except you have to do one or the other.A lot opt to do the community service,why i do not know.However they look after mentally or medically handicapped people, some even get to work in the hospitals.Helps an ailing N.H.S. no end and gives the people another view as to what is happenning.Blokes who go in to the Army do not seem to mind it at all.The time period here is 18 months.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..