Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2006, 11:38   #1
I am Banned

Cops on the spot fingerprinting

Drivers pulled over by police are to have their fingerprints scanned by the side of the road. A pilot scheme for a new hand-held electronic fingerprint reader is to be launched in Luton, Bedfordshire, by officers targeting motoring offences. Police hope the Lantern device will save time and money by allowing them to identify suspects on the roadside without having to take them to the station.
It lets officers search a national database of 6.5m fingerprints and get a result within five minutes.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22112006/14...gerprints.html

Ok so Big brother syndrome is stepping up, a nice sneaky way of getting a database printing update, tho can see the advantage of catching those banned from driving that give a false ID or drink drivers, is this fair & right?
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2006, 11:41   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Cops on the spot fingerprinting

Just watched the report on the news, it is one of those "it's not compulsory"but woe betide if you do not comply.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 11:43   #3
God Member

Sounds good to me as a law abiding citizen, I'd have nothing to fear and would voluntarily give a scan of my fingerprints.
Old 22-11-2006, 11:45   #4
Member.

Again, if I’ve done now’t wrong, I’ll have now’t to fear. If they catch a few dozen illegal immigrants, rapists, escapees and the like each week, why not.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 11:51   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Again, if I’ve done now’t wrong, I’ll have now’t to fear. If they catch a few dozen illegal immigrants, rapists, escapees and the like each week, why not.

Do the police actually stop motorists these days ? I always thought by the number of 'certain' people driving round without seatbelts that those days were long gone.
Old 22-11-2006, 12:07   #6
Member.

Good point lancsdave, last time I was stopped was for driving with my spots on..It was a New Years Eve about three years ago. Not that I do anything to be stopped for.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 12:14   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Cops on the spot fingerprinting

If they do not have a record of the motorists’ fingerprints how will taking them at the roadside ID them? Will it also include any passengers? What will happen to the fingerprints afterwards?

I was under the impression that fingerprints are not taken until AFTER a person has been ARRESTED and then only AFTER they have been CHARGED.

The police can now issue ‘on the spot’ fines for unsocial or drunken behaviour. How long before the fingerprinting will apply to people on the street?

The police can now clock a vehicle and check to see if it is has Road Tax, Insurance, MOT if applicable and also the driver has a legitimate license. If it hasn’t got any one of those the car will be impounded and then crushed, as I understand, it after 7 days. But mistakes can happen as was clearly demonstrated during a TV programme a few days ago when a woman was stopped and the check revealed that she didn’t have insurance. She did have but didn’t have the insurance certificate with her. She was fortunate in that the police allowed her to ring her sister to get the insurance certificate and bring it to the ‘scene of the crime’. She was also fortunate that her sister arrived just as the tow truck was preparing to load the car onto the loader. She and the police parted company, but what a complete waste of police time, not forgetting the unfortunate woman’s time. Let’s not forget the tow truck. The owner would require paying for the wasted trip.

However if the woman had not been able to produce the required insurance certificate, her car would have been impounded and she would have been left on the road to make her own way home. She was also fortunate that this incident happened during daylight hours, but what if it had happened during the dark hours?

Whatever happened to the procedure where a motorist had 7 days to produce the required documents if the motorist was not carrying them at the time of the stopping by police?

This government with the aid of the police are going to get us all tagged and labelled by hook or by crook. So if the ID cards don’t do it this fingerprinting scheme will.

Someone please remind me that we are not galloping down the “Police State” road.

Come in Judge Dredd, your time is coming.
Old 22-11-2006, 12:30   #8
Resting in peace

Quote:
jambutty I was under the impression that fingerprints are not taken until AFTER a person has been ARRESTED and then only AFTER they have been CHARGED.
You can refuse untill or if you are convicted they cannot force you to do it, ultimately the judge/magistrate can order you to do it or be in contempt of court.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 13:28   #9
Beacon of light

And what pray, will happen to these nabbed crims?......the prisons are bursting at the seams and judges are being told to limit custodial sentences.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 13:48   #10
God Member

We have alot more information on this down here.

If you are pulled over and printed, it will take about 2/3 minutes to get the print processed on the computer data base. If there is no match for criminal activity, then the print will be wiped off the scanner; you have the option of waiting around for an extra few moments to see this occur on the scanner. What happens back with the main computer, I dunno.

Much more interesting here is the introduction of head cameras, which started this week in a couple of London Boroughs. This is a mini-videocam which the cops carry round on their shoulder or helmet and can be switched on when confronting drunken yobs prior to arrest. It should provide the sort of evidence to put an awful lot of do-gooding, civil- rights, taxpayer- subsidised solicitors out of business for good.

You all quite right about the current failings of the prison service; it's about time we brought back transportation, the threadmill and the lash. These are far more cost effective than locking people up for a few months in unbridled 5-star luxury, so the sooner we started using this form of punishment, the better for us all.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 15:43   #11
God Member

How long before they can run a DNA check at the roadside? If you are clear there is nowt to fear but it sounds like a bit of a back door data collection service to me. There is a large part of the population against biometric ID cards so now they are finding other ways around this. Next would be a retina scan as they are as unique as fingerprints so the list could be endless. Ok I know that some on here are anti ID card but the fact the police are now getting other tools then ID caards it should be.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 19:08   #12

Quote:
I was under the impression that fingerprints are not taken until AFTER a person has been ARRESTED and then only AFTER they have been CHARGED.
These machines do not take your finger prints they just check if your index finger print matches any on the national database. Why keep papping on about a police state everytime some new technology becomes available to help our boys in blue recognise the scroats and the ten people driving about on one licence, the only people who should be moaning about this superb pieces of kit are the scum who ruin peoples lives day in day out, the uninsured drivers who kill children, the druggies who mug old ladies, and the rest of the law breaking gits.
Its do gooders that are the problem not the new technology or the police.

If you break the law worry.
If you don't have a good life.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 19:10   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Sounds good to me as a law abiding citizen, I'd have nothing to fear and would voluntarily give a scan of my fingerprints.
lol they already have your fingerprints hun ..

they dusted teh sailors down at preston docks
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 19:56   #14
Beacon of light

While I agree with anything that will make the job of the police easier......and that is apprehending criminals....what are the courts going to do with these people. I may be labouring a point here, but it seems to me that the punishments are laughable, and in no way a deterrent.

I also think it is a back door method of data collection, ready for the ID cards.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 21:35   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Cops on the spot fingerprinting

OK! So these machines only take the fingerprint of a forefinger. So what? It is still a fingerprint that, we are led to believe, is unique to each person.

If the index finger print doesn’t match anything on the database firefighter753, what then? Next time it will because in spite of the claims that no data will be kept there is no guarantee that, that will be the case. It would be next to impossible to establish that the print has not been retained.

Whether you like it or not I will keep on about a police state because slowly but surely we are heading that way. New technology should be used to fight crime and gather evidence of the crime and not harass the innocent law abiding person. There are many, many more law abiding citizens than there are criminals. The police can find the manpower when it comes to policing a state visit or a legal demonstration or a football match. But they can’t find the manpower to police the streets. The cost of all this new technology would be better served by increasing police numbers.

I don’t break the law but I do worry and I have every reason to. I’ve been burgled 7 times, mugged once and attacked twice that led to ABH and GBH at my front and back door. In my previous home my kitchen window had a brick thrown through it, my minibus was vandalised then set on fire, my car was attacked and nearly all the windows were put through. Why? Two reasons – as an attendant sports leader at the Roman Road Community Centre I wouldn’t allow the local thugs and yobbos to take over the centre and it was my evidence that got one burglar and one attacker put away.

As each day passes I grow older and because I live on my own, become more vulnerable. The only time that I am likely to step out of my front door during the dark hours is if the flat is on fire. So where is my good life?

But you are right firefighter753 it is the do-gooders that are the problem - for interfering in the judicial system and preventing criminals getting real punishment for their crimes.

Last edited by jambutty; 22-11-2006 at 21:39.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..