Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 11:43   #1
God Member

Corrupt Council ?

Just seen somebody driving round the town centre with a small billboard on the back of a trailer saying

Hyndburn Council
proved to be a
corrupt council

I might have got the middle line slightly wrong but had to remember it because I didn't have my phone on me to take a photo
Old 07-10-2010, 11:46   #2
God Member

Re: Corrupt Council ?

saw it on way down to town parked further up st james st, middle line was proved by evidence, did ponder if the otherside had the evidence tho LOL!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Was it being driven by a chap with no hair and an evil grin
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29   #4
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Was it being driven by a chap with no hair and an evil grin

Naughty.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 14:26   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

What ever do you mean?
Old 07-10-2010, 17:44   #6
Resting in Peace

Believe its the guy who stood as an independent against PB in May, and is standing as an independent in the Baxenden in he November election caused by the death of John Griffiths
Old 07-10-2010, 21:11   #7
God Member

I haven't heard much about the election - who's standing and when is the actual election date?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:03   #8

The Election Date is 18 November - Nomination papers can not be submitted until Friday 15 October
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05   #9
JCB

If only half of the criticism aimed at Hyndburn Council , and in particular at its leader Peter Britcliffe , is justified , the Labour opposition on the council must rank as amongst the most ineffective in the land .

Last edited by JCB; 08-10-2010 at 07:10.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
If only half of the criticism aimed at Hyndburn Council , and in particular at its leader Peter Britcliffe , is justified , the Labour opposition on the council must rank as amongst the most ineffective in the land .
Could you please quantify the above statement as I don't think you understand how the local government process works.

In essence all important decision are made by the Cabinet - and the chair of the Cabinet is the Leader of the Council. At Cabinet meetings the chair chooses who of those present can speak - the present leader of Hyndburn Borough Council will only allow 1 opposition councillor to speak on any issue (and then it is usually only if he thinks they will agree with him). Although Cabinet decision can be called into Overview and Scrutiny to be discussed further, the controlling group have a majority on the 2 Overview and Scrutiny committees (as well as holding the positions of chair and vice chair) and so it is nye on impossible to have a decision reversed.

The only real forum any opposition group have to get things changed is at meetings of Full Council when they can table motions to be debated and also attempt to reverse any policies that are presented to the Full Council meeting that they regard as being detrimental to the citizens of Hyndburn. As the number of meetings of Full Council have been drastically reduced (and meetings have been cancelled at short notice as has been discussed in other threads) this avenue has in effect been closed to the opposition.

Presently many of the decisions are also being taken by Emergency Powers -which are then presented to Cabinet at the next meeting.

There is also a complete lack of information about the important decisions being disseminated to the Labour Group of Councillors until they have actually happened -in fact quite often the first we know about it is when we read an article in the Observer or Telegraph. We do work hard trying to get our policies accepted by the Council but without being in control it is extremely difficult as the Leader sets out to undermine any opposition. When we do get policies implemented they are being undermined by the Leader.

Maybe you would like to explain how you would be a more effective opposition to the current administration.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Maybe you would like to explain how you would be a more effective opposition to the current administration.
I suggested getting the External Auditors involved. Any mileage in that?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09   #12
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The wag reveals his true colours, and only two days after rounding on me for being political when I accused him of being a Tory sympathiser. When you find yourself in opposition against a dictator who won't allow full council meetings to vote on the seriously important issues in the borough it makes serious objections bloody hard.

I have no idea who you are but you're full of the same woolly arguments as many Tory supporters on this forum when it comes to rubbishing Labour.

Take a leaf out of Jaysay's book and try putting some facts into your replies for a change.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13   #13
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I suggested getting the External Auditors involved. Any mileage in that?
As I've said before this would probably lead back to the Chief Executive, a man who is struggling to hold the machinery together whilst the children fight amonst themselves.

Since he is extremely good at his job I would be reluctant to go down any route that would jeopardise his position for the sake of bringing down the opposition a few months early.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:27   #14
Senior Member+

The fact that there is to be a bye election in November adds weight to suspicions regarding the cancellation of the September Council meeting. If the meeting had gone ahead, the controlling group would not have had a majority, and there was some contentious business to be voted on at the meeting. (ie market leases.) In the absence of an agreement to reschedule the meeting for the following week, officers decided to delay all business to the December meeting. By then, the bye election will have taken place, and as by common consent it is a safe Conservative seat, the likelihood is that the majority will be restored.

Simple question to the External Auditors. Given the situation regarding the vacant seat and the nature of the business to be discussed, did the Council make sufficient effort to ensure due process in the timing of the Council meetings?

If their answer is yes, then there is no more to be said.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:43   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The fact that there is to be a bye election in November adds weight to suspicions regarding the cancellation of the September Council meeting. If the meeting had gone ahead, the controlling group would not have had a majority, and there was some contentious business to be voted on at the meeting. (ie market leases.) In the absence of an agreement to reschedule the meeting for the following week, officers decided to delay all business to the December meeting. By then, the bye election will have taken place, and as by common consent it is a safe Conservative seat, the likelihood is that the majority will be restored.

Simple question to the External Auditors. Given the situation regarding the vacant seat and the nature of the business to be discussed, did the Council make sufficient effort to ensure due process in the timing of the Council meetings?

If their answer is yes, then there is no more to be said.
Makes sense to me gynn

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..