Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 17:23   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Olympics have officially Begun - But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Not at all Jay -was putting 2+2 together and getting 22. I have no doubts about your charms
Is that Catch 22
Old 07-08-2012, 20:25   #77
God Member

Re: Olympics have officially Begun - But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is that Catch 22
Nice one Jay -didn't set that up at all -my compliments -the eternal triangle ehhh!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 16:02   #78
Resting In Peace

Re: Could Boris be the next Prime Minister?

From the horse's mouth today...

BBC News - Boris Johnson: How could zip wire prat become prime minister?
Old 08-08-2012, 20:51   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Hmmmm! Don't believe a word of it -howsabout :

"From the "Mare's" arse" as a subtitle...

No-one is as good a self-publicist as Boris...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hmmm! Don't believe a word of it -howsabout :

"From the "Mare's" arse" as a subtitle...

No-one is as good a self-publicist as Boris...
Ya but self publicists usually end up back on their arses
Old 09-08-2012, 11:26   #81
God Member

Quote:
Ya but self publicists usually end up back on their arses
Talk about Mare's tails - or should that be Mayor's tales

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-08-2012, 16:24   #82

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
I think I may have said that I saw him in action many times in debates at the Oxford Union (which Susie has kindly pointed out is not the Student's Union), as President of that society he had to handle speakers from all walks of life from femminist Germaine Greer to American Generals to politicians of the day, actors, TV personalities etc. as well as the general debating among students . He was brilliant in this role keeping things moving, adding witty asides and defusing difficult moments.

The way the Union works is a little like a miniature parliamentary debate with a vote at the end by all those present who walk through a door to give their vote as to the motion being debated -the "Ayes" and the "Nays". It may sound very elitist but any student at the University can join and all different political allegiances are represented as well as independent opinion -it's not just Public School. I was decidedly on the opposite side of the house with respect to him but could appreciate an intelligent man -so he does look daft -but as far as I could see he's not.
You mean the Oxford Union talked about in the following link that only sounds elitist? Even the normal tories cringe (if there is such a thing as a 'normal' tory that is) and cry foul when the very real and dangerous nutjob future conservative MP's and London Mayors are shown in their natural habitat.

The Commentator - Young, right and part of the fight
Old 09-08-2012, 16:52   #83
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
You mean the Oxford Union talked about in the following link that only sounds elitist ? Even the normal tories cringe (if there is such a thing as a 'normal' tory that is) and cry foul when the very real and dangerous nutjob future conservative MP's and London Mayors are shown in their natural habitat.

The Commentator - Young, right and part of the fight
Err... no, not "the Oxford Union talked about in the following link that only sounds elitist".

It might help if the writer of that article had got their facts right or even been consistent. Talking about the Oxford Union Conservative Association at one point and the Oxford University Conservative Association at another - actually it isn't called either now - ditto Cambridge, is inaccurate but that doesn't seem to bother folks who write articles like this. And no, it's nothing to do with THE Oxford Union which is a debating society.

the Oxford Union - The Oxford Union

Oxford Conservative Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cambridge University Conservative Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW what's happened to this thread - it seems to be still part of an Olympics thread and the post I made two days ago about the Oxford Union on the Boris thread seems to have disappeared... although Dianne refers to it in her quote.
Old 09-08-2012, 17:07   #84
God Member

Quote:
Err... no, not "the Oxford Union talked about in the following link that only sounds elitist".

It might help if the writer of that article had got their facts right or even been consistent. Talking about the Oxford Union Conservative Association at one point and the Oxford University Conservative Association at another - actually it isn't called either now - ditto Cambridge, is inaccurate but that doesn't seem to bother folks who write articles like this. And no, it's nothing to do with THE Oxford Union which is a debating society.

the Oxford Union - The Oxford Union

Oxford Conservative Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cambridge University Conservative Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW what's happened to this thread - it seems to be still part of an Olympics thread and the post I made two days ago about the Oxford Union on the Boris thread seems to have disappeared... although Dianne refers to it in her quote.
Thanks Sue was about to say exactly the same thing! (Ddogy internet connection at the moment for some reason been getting bumped off!)

The Union is open to all -you don't have to be affiliated to any political party to join and the debates are fairly run allowing the same time for all partecipants to exchange their views then all members vote - NOT on the views themselves but on the skill of the debaters presenting their case at winning you over on to their view of the motion which is up for discussion!! I still have my card and am life member -if ever I'm down that way and fancy popping in to watch a debate I get in free...some of the guests are very entertaining.

As to the bit in the article about the young conservative men making comments aimed at female members talking about "Smidgeons" and laughing -par for the course -I would suggest any group of "males" together whatever their age, political interests or other affiliations will always jest about the ladies and make cocky comments among themselves - it doesn't offend me and to be honest rather makes me laugh, especially when it's men of a certain age. May I suggest you read certain threads of Accyweb for example the one on Beach volley currently so interesting to some There are lots more if you go back over old threads too. It's just "boys" talk - sad really...but then boys will be boys

~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 09-08-2012 at 17:10.
Old 09-08-2012, 17:11   #85
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Thanks Sue was about to say exactly the same thing! (Ddogy internet connection at the moment for some reason been getting bumped off!)

The Union is open to all -you don't have to be affiliated to any political party to join and the debates are fairly run allowing the same time for all partecipants to exchange their views then all members vote - NOT on the views themselves but on the skill of the debaters presenting their case you over on to their view of the motion which is up for discussion at winning!! I still have my card and m life member -if ever I'm down that way and fancy popping in to watch a debate I get in free...some of the guests are very entertaining.

As to the bit in the article about the young conservative men making comments aimed at female members talking about "Smidgeons" and laughing -par for the course -I would suggest any group of "males" together whatever their age, political interests or other affiliations will always jest about the ladies and make cocky comments among themselves - it doesn't offend me and to be honest rather makes me laugh, especially when it's men of a certain age. May I suggest you read certain threads of Accyweb for example the one on Beach volley currently so interesting to some There are lots more if you go back over old threads too. It's just "boys" talk - sad really...but then boys will be boys
Dianne was going to add a comment exactly along the lines of your last paragraph but got too annoyed. I too find it quite amusing and the writer of the article would probably find similar activities at every university in the land.
Old 09-08-2012, 17:16   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks Sue was about to say exactly the same thing! (Dodgy internet connection at the moment for some reason been getting bumped off!)

The Union is open to all -you don't have to be affiliated to any political party to join and the debates are fairly run allowing the same time for all participants to exchange their views then all members vote - NOT on the views themselves but on the skill of the debaters presenting their case at winning you over on to their view of the motion which is up for discussion!! I still have my card and am life member -if ever I'm down that way and fancy popping in to watch a debate I get in free...some of the guests are very entertaining.

Don't suppose you've every listened into a bunch of factory lasses discussing their escapades the previous weekend, I was once in that position sat on a scaffolding having my lunch and they were unaware I was there, you think lads are bad, these ladeeeeeees would make any red blooded male blush believe me
Old 09-08-2012, 17:19   #87
God Member

Quote:
Dianne was going to add a comment exactly along the lines of your last paragraph but got too annoyed. I too find it quite amusing and the writer of the article would probably find similar activities at every university in the land.
I have already posted it on one of those "boys together" threads -I love the Two Ronnies sketches of "The Worm that turned" -sort of puts the boot on the other foot! Diana Dors foot in particular -now that name might set them all off again!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-08-2012, 17:21   #88
Resting In Peace

Quote:
you think lads are bad, these ladeeeeeees would make any red blooded male blush believe me
And why not??? Sauce for the goose and all that...
Old 09-08-2012, 17:24   #89
God Member

Quote:
Not impartial to having a gander myself..!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-08-2012, 17:40   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
women are three times worse than men in that department

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..