Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2005, 10:52   #1
God Member

Crackpot Christian's Crackheads and Criminals Crap on Council

What the bloody hell is going on up there? I read in todays Observer that some character running an outfit called the "Ossy Community Church" is turning a disused factory into a hostel for ex-cons & crackheads. Not only that, no planning permission has been applied for and no formal discussions have been undertaken with the council. In fact, its worse than that...a systematic attempt appears to have made to cover up the entire project to the extent that Crime Tsar Hayes had to infiltrate a meeting in disguise to discover what its all about.

The man who is responsible for this is some joker by the name of Jackson, who is a "leader" of this so-called church. I have no doubt whatsoever that this is one of these happy-clappy touchy-feely lesbo & gay establishments. I've no problem with that, although personally my idea of a good churchman is someone who argues his case armed with a pint and a ciggy at the bar, rather than twanging his guitar from the pulpit. What I do object to, though,are these people attempting to set up an alternative criminal rehabilitation scheme while conspiring to keep the local people in ignorance. I do hope the good people of Ossy give short shift to the entire caboodle.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2005, 11:16   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Crackpot Christian's Crackheads and Criminals Crap on Council

Perhaps the London edition of the Observer is different? It didn't say in my paper that they are going to turn a disused factory into a hostel, it was quite clear that's just the place they held the secret meeting, about mooting the idea about prisoner resettlement for Christians after they have served their time.

The church is happy clappy in the fact that it's not high church Anglican, but I'm afraid you're wrong once again, like most Christian fundamentalists they are about as 'lesbo and gay' friendly as a hog shooting party in Alabama.

Though I admit the reason that it was held behind closed doors by invitation only, was worrying.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 11:16   #3
Resident Waffler

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Tealeaf. I know someone who'll be ever so interested.

This is the group which organises "Net Camp" for schools (Moorhead being one) - a weeklong camping trip for the children.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 11:21   #4
Resident Waffler

Oh and yes - they are very "happy-clappy". I don't think they associate themselves with any particular denomination.

I've been along to one of their meetings and there are a lot of youngsters. It got a bit too loud for me but hey that's just my ears I suppose.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 11:58   #5
God Member

Apparently they've applied for planning permission to make one of the large houses on Rhyddings St into flats - I believe it was refused.

I'm torn on this - on the one hand it's not very Christian to turn people away who are reformed criminals if they have, indeed, reformed, but I really don't like the apparent secrecy aspect to this.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 12:04   #6
Give, give, give member

Reformed criminals should be given every chance to intigrate themselves back into society, although like Gayle the secrecy, and press ban was worrying.

We already have lots of 'hotels' in the town, ie: large houses that gained planning permission to become hotels, but are in fact just money makers for their owners, and that have become doss houses for active drug addicts.

Old 30-09-2005, 12:52   #7
Give, give, give member

Re: Wrong log in No Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Best thing he's ever said.

Old 30-09-2005, 12:53   #8
Clearly Classy.......

Well like Gayle I am also torn on this. I too believe in re-integration and rehabilitation, just not on my doorstep. I realise it has to be on someone’s doorstep, so it would appear that I, and a lot would agree with me, am a hypocrite, well I can live with that.. I really do not want hard ex-criminals in the vicinity of my children or my family & friends and our homes, we sometimes attend the Hope centre, and live extremely close to the proposed building that they have applied for planning permission for TWICE, so there's no doubt they are serious about this building and the next stage will probably be appeal.

I am extremely worried at the cloak and dagger approach to the meeting; it just proves to me that they are fully aware of the public interest/concerns it IS going to raise. So maybe it would have been better all round if it was out in the open from the beginning.

Further more I shall have to seriously consider whether my children should attend the centre unaccompanied until we have a full picture and know just exactly who is to be integrated here, what sort of a parent would I be knowing there could be a risk. After all I wouldn't give them a knife to play with or take them in the car without a seat belt on. This may seem a little extreme to some but I have to live with myself and my conscience. At the end of the day scaremongering or not, my families safety is paramount.

My Gallery My Albums

Last edited by Romps; 30-09-2005 at 13:50.
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 12:53   #9
God Member

.................................................. ......................

Last edited by Tealeaf; 30-09-2005 at 12:55.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 13:07   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
.................................................. ......................

Best thing you've ever said as well, what's going on??

Old 30-09-2005, 13:11   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It's the secrecy that I also, find disturbing. If everything is above board why the press ban? Why did Cllr Doug Heyes have to sneak in using someone else's invitation? The last thing we want is someone else criminals. We have enough of our own.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 13:12   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It's a secret code that can only be understood by straight people
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 13:20   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It's a secret code that can only be understood by straight people
As in boring? That explains it then.

Wasn't the journalist the same one who came on here, under what we though was the pseudonym of Dillon, who Gayle and I quickly uncovered, and he never posted again after his personal attack on Gayle Knight?

He really should try a better disguise. I'd have got in if I'd have so desired.

At this rate he's never going to have that deepthroat moment and uncover another Watergate.

Old 30-09-2005, 13:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Maybe they're trying to give you a lead.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 14:11   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Further more I shall have to seriously consider whether my children should attend the centre unaccompanied until we have a full picture and know just exactly who is to be integrated here, what sort of a parent would I be knowing there could be a risk. After all I wouldn't give them a knife to play with or take them in the car without a seat belt on. This may seem a little extreme to some but I have to live with myself and my conscience. At the end of the day scaremongering or not, my families safety is paramount.[/QUOTE] restores my faith in humanity your comments romps - agree entirely with EVERYTHING you said

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..