Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2015, 19:41   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Crematorium

I read the statement. No problem with catering for non believers & securlists. This thread mentions Muslim but I don't think there's ever been a Muslim ceremony in there.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2015, 19:45   #32
Beacon of light

Even if non believers were more prevalent, this doesn't mean that they would take offence at a cross being visible in the crematorium.
Aren't we being just too sensitive?
Seeing offence where there is none.....and making offence where there should be none.
I can see there being more offence in a cross not being there for those who have a faith, than that of a cross being present where those gathered have no faith.....If you have no faith then the cross is of no more significance than a bit of wall art.
AccyMad and steve2qec like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 19:46   #33
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I read the statement. No problem with catering for non believers & securlists. This thread mentions Muslim but I don't think there's ever been a Muslim ceremony in there.
It has been pointed out in earlier posts that Muslims do not use cremation...it is forbidden.
Old 01-10-2015, 20:04   #34
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Explain minorities?
Why me? You not got a dictionary in your house? Well if it makes you any happier .....

minority

(redirected from minorities)
Also found in: Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia. mi·nor·i·ty

(mə-nôr′ĭ-tē, -nŏr′-, mī-)n. pl. mi·nor·i·ties 1. a. The smaller in number of two groups forming a whole.
b. A group or party having fewer than a controlling number of votes.

2. a. A racial, religious, political, national, or other group thought to be different from the larger group of which it is part.
b. A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society.
c. A member of one of these groups. See Usage Note at color.

3. Law The state or period of being younger than the age for legal adulthood: still in her minority.

Taken from the free online Dictionary, you might want to try it in future if you come across some big words again that you're not sure of.
Old 01-10-2015, 20:43   #35
JCB

I have just found out that on the 1st October 1880 the first electric lamp factory was opened by Thomas Edison.

It may also go down in history as the day when Ken and Graham reappeared on Accy Web to shed light upon us all .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 21:28   #36

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Non believers on the last census were the majority of people in Hyndburn & fastest growing group of people.
Erm....did you get the same researcher who forgot where you lived to get that little nugget?

Check Browser Settings
Old 01-10-2015, 22:13   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Erm....did you get the same researcher who forgot where you lived to get that little nugget?

Check Browser Settings
no no he wrote it himself look

it wasnt researched he wote that he had spoken to us the people of XXXX lol

yeah its an old one but i like watching reruns of the two ronnies as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jones graham.jpg (84.0 KB, 20 views)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 01-10-2015 at 22:16.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 22:14   #38
God Member

i wonder how his posts would have read if it had been a tory councilor and not his former council buddy and still fellow labour member that took away the crucifix

i have no doubt the replies would be of outrage and disgust at the disregard given to christians and how the tory lot are to blame for adding to the decline of society and its christian values

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 02-10-2015, 07:07   #39
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Check Browser Settings
I wonder how Graham Jones categorises non believers.
If you add up all the figures of the other categories it comes to just a little less than 50%.......but four and a half thousand people did not state their religion......so some of these could quite easily fall into any category.....including Christian.
Less than 50% is not a majority.
I know that in the past we have had some erroneous per centages bandied about
But if you are going to defend something by relying on figures (even if you quoted that the 'majority' rather than actually quoting figures) make sure that the actual government recognised statistics DO support what you are saying.....in this case they clearly do not.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:33   #40
God Member

if percentages are worked out in this way in westminster it could explain why so many of them had trouble with their expenses

perhaps it was all a honest mistake lol
cashman likes this.

Old 02-10-2015, 16:03   #41
JCB

Quote:
Explain minorities?
It's what you were in Graham when the majority of Labour members and supporters voted differently from you in the election for Labour leader .

At the time you said : " “I am traditional Labour . "

So perhaps you can now explain "“I am traditional Labour" .

You were also in a minority at the General Election when 57.9% of those who voted didn't vote for you .

And in the election before that , 2010 , I wonder whether you were New Labour . I don't recall you criticising New Labour , but I'm always ready to be re-educated .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 16:07   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
non believers & securlists.
Explain securlists. Look it up in Dave's dictionary.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 16:20   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Explain securlists. Look it up in Dave's dictionary.

they are the people who do typing for you and answer the phone for you i think..

oh hang on thats something else isnt it

Old 02-10-2015, 16:33   #44
Super Moderator

It'd probably help if somebody could spell it correctly.
Old 02-10-2015, 19:50   #45

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

So...breaking it down..our MP

a) Doesn't know what a minority is
b) Can't spell
c) Can't do maths (i.e 3/8 of non-christian Hyndburn is greater than 5/8 of christian Hyndburn)
d) Can't do geography (apparently he thinks he lives in XXXX)

Yet still claims to be smarter than us plebs when it comes to the fiscal issues of leaving Europe whilst claiming to speak on behalf of 95% (75,000 people) in Hyndburn

Back on thread I keep seeing a 40% figure for none believers using the crematorium...

Considering that the Muslim community do not use this crematorium, a simple calculation using the census figures would show that 73% of Hyndburn crematorium users are Christian, leaving a mere 27% of people who may possibly be offended (and thats not accounting for the variation that could be caused by the 4000+ people who thought that their personal belief system had sod all to do with census takers)

And by the way I'm a none believer..and just like I did with mine, I know lots of people who tell their kids that mum/dad/gran is in heaven and happy...a cross is kinda significant to the innocent and undoctrinated kids who go to funerals.

Ken Moss tried to screw with the memorial in Huncoat and got his backside kicked, he's had it kicked on his own now defunct facebook group, he's had it kicked here with the benches and now he's had it kicked in the national media....but according to him it's all Britcliffes fault *sigh*

Last edited by Guinness; 02-10-2015 at 19:59.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..