Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2008, 16:31   #76
God Member

Re: Cruise Control

Servicing does make a difference entwisi, the vans at work lose economy if they are not serviced regularly, monday morning ritual for us is oil, water and tyre pressures, and report of any faults, it is expensive to keep on top of, but cheaper than the consequences of ignorance, cruise control (as this is what the thread is about) is the most economical way to travel distances, but you should make passengers aware of how to deactivate it, and I for one applaud busman for having the consideration for his dear wife to explain it to willow.
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2008, 17:07   #77
God Member

I would disagree that Cruise is teh most economincal though. The cars tend to 'over' accelerate to keep the speed, also going up hill you can let a car drop 5 or so mph without any loss in time but a considerable saving on fuel, Cruise will keep teh speed irrespective of how hard it has to accelerate.

I remember a friend and I driving to see my Sister in Nice on teh cheap. We used to drive in bare feet as it was amazing just how much extra 'feel' it gave you on how much you were using the accelerator(although free wheeling with teh engine switched off down teh alps maybe wasn't that good an idea especially when you get pulled for speeding through a tiny village but thats another story! )

Actually people like BUsman can be a godsend to fuel economy! Sitting in the slipstream of a coach/wagon saves a load!!!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 18:11   #78
Resting in Peace

Well I have to agree with what both Derek and Entwisi have just said, if you look after your motor and don't abuse it, its to your own advantage. It certainly applies to work vehicles, when I was on the road, I travelled the length and breadth of the country and your vehicle was a valuable part of a three man team, if your motor breaks down your stuffed
Old 14-06-2008, 23:07   #79

Had a few cars with cruise, can’t say I ever felt comfy using it. Given the option I would bin it.
Old 15-06-2008, 06:17   #80
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Actually people like BUsman can be a godsend to fuel economy! Sitting in the slipstream of a coach/wagon saves a load!!!!!
Maybe not - I saw them test that out on TV, they car had to be about 4 feet from the HGV for it to make a difference to fuel consumption. That is just a tad close for my liking.

You will be used to being that close as a mad biker
Old 15-06-2008, 09:20   #81
God Member

mad? Maybe... Biker yes!

Old 18-06-2008, 13:21   #82
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cruise Control

I have “cruise control”.

It’s called my right foot and my brain.
Old 18-06-2008, 14:22   #83
God Member

heh I've been on teh bike for a few days and done some testing( I can 'feel' when I'm in teh slipstream better)

behind a transit, turbulence starts about 25-30 feet behind teh van. closer than 25ft and I was definately in the quiet zone and could roll off the throttle and still maintain teh same speed.

behind a car( all except MPVs) there was negilgable slipstream up to 10 foot, i didn't want to go closer than that

behind a coach the 'bad zone' was about 35-40 foot back, anywhere closer was definately quiet and clean air.

Old 18-06-2008, 14:27   #84
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
behind a car( all except MPVs) there was negilgable slipstream up to 10 foot, i didn't want to go closer than that
If you were that close behind me you would have needed to change you underwear mate

I would expect to would need to be closer to something smaller. I would also expect you to be a lot closer in a car like I said before, way to close for comfort.
Old 18-06-2008, 15:02   #85
God Member

you clearly aren't comitted to teh cause or you would have tried it yourself

tbh people forget that on a bike we can move to teh side and go down teh side between two lines of cars quite easily. we might sit close on your tail but its usually on teh back quarter so its only a quick wiggle and theres nowt in front of us.

Old 20-06-2008, 21:10   #86
Resting in Peace

Having just had a go in a car with cruise control I found it a bit worrying about taking foot off both pedals but after a while got used to it. Would only use it on long motorway runs though and would consider it helpful if doing regular long distance runs on the motorways.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 23:51   #87
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
you clearly aren't comitted to teh cause or you would have tried it yourself
I have been that close to cars (and bikes) that you cant see the back end of them.

I used to be an idiot, I got better and am now quite a chilled out driver.
Old 23-06-2008, 14:38   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Remind us to clear the streets when you go out for lessons.
Don't worry willo I'll give you plenty of notice, 2 secs should be enouth time lol
Nori Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 16:16   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have been that close to cars (and bikes) that you cant see the back end of them.

I used to be an idiot, I got better and am now quite a chilled out driver.
I used to have a sign in my rear window written in very small writting, it said
"If you can read this your to bloody close"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..