Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2010, 10:35   #1
Resting in Peace

Debate on Life sentences

BBC News - Murder life sentences questioned in attitudes research
Professors Barry Mitchell from Coventry Uni and Professor Julian Roberts from Oxford Uni who have been researching into prison sentencing, have said that most people questioned didn't think life should mean life for murder, they sure as hell didn't ask me. To my mind anyone who commits crime when armed and a death occurs should never see the light of day again, the same goes for premeditated murder and the murder of children. Say hat you want about the US of A but they certainly make the punishment fit the crime, you quite often here life without the chance of parole, and that's the way it should be here too
Old 29-10-2010, 11:17   #2

Re: Debate on Life sentences

Here Here i agree with you

there is too much mamby pamby sentences

life for a life
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:46   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

only agree cos they won't top em.
Old 29-10-2010, 14:54   #4
Senior Member+

Life should mean what it says!..I think that in certain cases with mitigating circumstances a lesser sentance may be appropriate, but once an actual life sentance has been deemed appropriate then thats what it should mean! I dont think special cases for murdering children or police officers should be made...murder is murder.!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 16:14   #5
God Member

in texas to help cut down on inmates waiting years on death row if 3 reliable witnesses see you commit murder you go straight to the front of the que.

as ron white a comedian said some states are aboloshing the death penalty but his state has put in an express lane lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 17:44   #6
God Member

In Britain is there a "dangerous offender" designation which means that a criminal will not get out, period?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 18:20   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
In Britain is there a "dangerous offender" designation which means that a criminal will not get out, period?
I think there may be something of the sort not 100% but people like Ian Brady & Peter Sutcliffe are the types targeted, although there are some misguided individuals who continue to bleat on about this being unfair to the aforesaid criminals on account of "Their human rights" & in the process forgeting the human rights of the victims of these creatures.

Like Cashy, I only subscribe to life as we can't string people like this up. I know you don't agree with it as we've been over similar ground elsewhere, but there are quite a few who still think hanging would be a better option.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 18:21   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Don't think so Eric, think they tend to recommend ya serve 20/25/30 yrs in some cases, like robbing government money, or if its a vote loser by letting em out, e.g. Brady n Hindley etc.
Old 29-10-2010, 18:22   #9
Give, give, give member

As others have said, a lfe sentence should be just that, for life.

If they mean twenty years, sentence then to that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 18:26   #10
Give, give, give member

Fred West would have got a 'life sentence', had he been tried, but he couldn't face it, and so topped himself.

Shame, that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 18:28   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Fred West would have got a 'life sentence', had he been tried, but he couldn't face it, and so topped himself.

Shame, that.

Ya I was terribly upset myself
Old 29-10-2010, 18:45   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ya would think wi all these cuts to reduce the deficit, they would reintroduce the death penalty, would save a fortune.
Old 29-10-2010, 18:51   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya would think with all these cuts to reduce the deficit, they would reintroduce the death penalty, would save a fortune.
I'll second that all in favour
Old 29-10-2010, 18:57   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Aye.
Old 29-10-2010, 20:16   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Aye
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..