Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2010, 09:54   #1
Resting in Peace

Deposit on Bottles

BBC News - Call for deposit charge on drinks bottles to cut litter

The Campaign for Rural England have suggested that bottle deposits be reintroduced, will it work. They suggest 15p on half litre and 30p on 1 litre bottles, also on plastic and cans too. Remember the old days when you bought a bottle of pop and the took the empty back for about 5d and beer bottles from the pub you got 2d, but would it work today
Old 16-09-2010, 09:56   #2
God Member

Re: Deposit on Bottles

i remember taking empty bottles of irn bru back to the shop for something like 5p when i was ickler
Old 16-09-2010, 10:03   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Bottles it probably would work to a large degree, cans n plastic dont see it working, where the hell would shopkeepers store all that stuff? there was money to be made taking bottles back, can remember reprobates climbing oer the co-op yard on "Ribblesdale" n nicking crates of empty's, only to return them the following day to the said co-op fer ciggy money.
Old 16-09-2010, 10:07   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Don,t see why not they do it over here in Germany & Holland & it isn't a major issue. Perhaps maybe the pricing is a tad to much on the UK model (Germany = 0.08 ct per glass bottle & 0.25 ct per plastic bottle irrespective of size) you save them all up, take em' back, get a chit & that goes towards paying for your next case of Beer,Water,Pop.

The shops even have machines for return-disposable bottles which shred them as you shove them in (Kids love it) all the bottles put in are tallied up & again the chit which can also be used in the shop for your messages & not just fresh drinks. Makes sense in my book & I certainly ain't no Eco freak, just someone who appreciates common sense.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:14   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thing wi that dave is were would the dosh come from, to pay fer these shredders? it aint foreign aid ya know. plus were would they go in the small shop?
Old 16-09-2010, 10:14   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I don't think it would work here, we'd all get fined by the council for not filling our blue boxes and bags on recycle day.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:22   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thing wi that dave is were would the dosh come from, to pay fer these shredders? it aint foreign aid ya know. plus were would they go in the small shop?
I believe the shops buy them (Aldi/Lidl & other chains) from a producer, as to the Kiosks/Corner shops, here they charge 0.25ct per can, so if the buyer returns back to the shop they get their deposit back, but as most of it is passing trade the Kiosk/Corner shops make more often than not.

Any that are returned he saves up & takes to one of the bigger shops & uses their machines & he's well maybe not Quids in but he's certainly better off.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:29   #8
Senior Member+

Dont think it will work either, people dont recycle with the blue bin at thier own house never mind lugging bottles back to a shop!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:30   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bottles it probably would work to a large degree, cans n plastic dont see it working, where the hell would shopkeepers store all that stuff? there was money to be made taking bottles back, can remember reprobates climbing oer the co-op yard on "Ribblesdale" n nicking crates of empty's, only to return them the following day to the said co-op fer ciggy money.
Yur past catching up wi ya again cashy
Old 16-09-2010, 10:32   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Dont think it will work either, people dont recycle with the blue bin at thier own house never mind lugging bottles back to a shop!
And kids aren't as enterprising as we were heth
Old 16-09-2010, 10:35   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And kids aren't as enterprising as we were heth

Exactly John!!! They would prob want more money for returning them anyway!!!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:40   #12
God Member

I'm all in favour of the deposit on bottles being reintroduced. When I was a few years younger we used to climb over the back yard wall of the off-licence, nick a crate of empty bottles, take them back to various selling out shops in the area and get the deposit back. Some of these bottles must have had their deposits refunded more than a few times.
Never mind remember the reprobates, I bet cashman used to make money this way.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 16-09-2010 at 10:42.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:44   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I'm all in favour of the deposit on bottles being reintroduced. When I was a few years younger we used to climb over the back yard wall of the off-licence, nick a crate of empty bottles, take them back to various selling out shops in the area and get the deposit back. Some of these bottles must have had their deposits refunded more than a few times.
Mate of cashy's hey
Old 16-09-2010, 10:58   #14
Resting in Peace

The proposed scheme involves the consumer taking all the empties to an Authorised Site in order to get a refund.I can see a lot of problems in this little thought out idea.
Although on the "plus" side it will employ a further few hundred thousand civil servants to implicate this cost saving exercise.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 11:06   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I was a reprobate!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..