Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 17:06   #1

Did the lights go out for you too !!!

Sunday teatime, snowing & freezing and all the power in the area goes out - how far radius was affected, did you have candles & torches at the ready (hands up be honest...!!!)

So who's turn was it to put the shilling in the meter !!! - (and for all the younger'un's - 5p)

Remember the good old days of the 70's, power cuts all the time - 3 day workin' week - what larks !!!!
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2006, 17:20   #2
I am Banned

Re: Did the lights go out for you too !!!

Nope we were unaffected though its best late evening when the candles have to come out [not that i will be able to find mine hidden from little monsters lol]

Hehehehe you remembered not to put candle in between shelves i hope lol. I remember the 80's ones & when the mains got flooded through leaking water pipe & we was without for 3 days!! My monsters dont really know what a good power cut is apart from 1 night for an hr, fun days!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 17:24   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc
Sunday teatime, snowing & freezing and all the power in the area goes out - how far radius was affected, did you have candles & torches at the ready (hands up be honest...!!!)

So who's turn was it to put the shilling in the meter !!! - (and for all the younger'un's - 5p)

Remember the good old days of the 70's, power cuts all the time - 3 day workin' week - what larks !!!!
Ah those heavy days of the seventies? Remember power cuts like bad fashion. I have been lucky only 2 in 15 years and the one at night was while I was in bed thus late for work. Never mind shillings bring back the sixpence.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 17:32   #4

Live near the hospital and i've had no power disruption, which area do you live in mickmc. I too remember the 70s with the power cuts. Wonder if the kids of today could survive them, they would be thoroughly fed up. Also remember the meter's but am sure it was 50p pieces, but could be wrong.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 17:37   #5
I am Banned

LOL Sara there are still leccy meters i have pleasure of still having one although its pounds these days & done electronically so you cant raid the meter plus i get to recreate power cut for todays kids lmao
Old 12-03-2006, 17:44   #6

If i could do that mel i would be recreating power cuts quite a lot. Used to love it when they emptied the meters as we always got a rebate which meant money to spend on treats.

Old 12-03-2006, 17:46   #7

Peel Park area - just had second one too, only about 5 mins this time tho'
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 17:50   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc
Peel Park area - just had second one too, only about 5 mins this time tho'
Theres always been something wrong in that area regarding power goes off there more than elsewhere lol. I looked out a bit earlier good view from here lol i saw not many street lights on & now they're back
Old 12-03-2006, 17:50   #9
Beacon of light

We are in Clayton and we have had no disruption.......though I say this with crossed fingers.
I too, remember the 70's and the power cuts, yes and the three day week.
We didn't have our electric on a meter.....but our gas was on a meter......it was a mad scramble to find a bob to put in the gas before it went out.....out meter was in a cupboard in the living room and it invariably meant moving a chair to get into the blooming thing......I think the gas went out more times than not.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 17:53   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
If i could do that mel i would be recreating power cuts quite a lot. Used to love it when they emptied the meters as we always got a rebate which meant money to spend on treats.
LOL Sara well theres always knocking the main switch off pmsl Rebates tend to carry on to the next statement or have it sent by cheque having said that i dont seem to get any rebate these days
Old 12-03-2006, 18:07   #11

Hope it doesn't spread over this way mickmc. Just in case think i'll set the alarm on mobile, don't want a reason to be late for work tomorrow do i. (Course i do).

Old 12-03-2006, 18:23   #12
Member.

We must be of a similar age although I sure you might wish to contest that Sara, lol. I loved the power cuts back in the early 70s there was something enchanted about sitting in front of a big open coal fire and being candle lit. Going for a pee was always a bind because we weren’t allowed to walk around with the candles and there was always the suspicion that the ghost would pop to the loo to say hello.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 18:46   #13

no power cuts for us, but i remember gas & elece meters i had mine robbed more than once & they took 50ps but i also remember pre deci currency.
Old 12-03-2006, 18:52   #14
God Member

Lecy stayed on up Bash

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 19:06   #15
Give, give, give member

Lights are on in Ossy.

My Dad built a windmill from an old pew and some drainpipe, which in the powercuts in the 70's happily lit one lightbulb under the stairs at our house.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..