Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2011, 22:11   #106
God Member

Re: DJ's book 'unflattering' about Accy.

This guy Mac is bang on right. I left the town in 1974 when it was something like two thirds down the economic prosperity league of the UK (out of 650); now it's ranked 40th from bottom in terms of weighted average for anticpated life expectancy, median incomes, house prices, etc. We are on on the same level of Blackburn, Burnley and Pendle and yet we have assets on a par with the likes of Hebden Bridge & Skipton (two of the finest places to live in the UK).

So where did it all go wrong?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2011, 23:32   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniebee58 View Post
Accrington is not all bad, we have a great Art Gallery, which brings in lots of visitors from other towns, we have the Globe Centre and Traders Brasserie which serves great food made by the Students of the Catering College.We also have two new health centres which cater for the health needs of the local population. And we also have a state of the art dental Centre, which trains dentists from all over Lancashire. The Market Hall has just been awarded Great Market 2011 and the people are the most friendly people you could wish to meet. I just wish people would stop knocking the town, this negativity does not help anyone.
Perhaps if you actually took the time to see beyond the negatives, you'd have read that Stuart Maconie has mentioned some of the positives, which included the Haworth, amongst other things.

Yes it is easy to always to be negative.

As you've just proved.

It's harder to try and report what's actually the truth.

Even if that truth's unpalatable.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 23:33   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
glad to see yeh got a sense of humour

Yes, how much was it we had to pay, to 'win' that award?

Old 22-06-2011, 00:03   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
they could not have afforded the security.....
Bang out of order making comments like that IMHO. I have family living in that area and if the money had been spread more evenly maybe things wouldn't look so bad in some areas and honky dory in others. We can't all perhaps choose where we live but my goodness some areas got regenaration money poured into them whilst others were left to rot It is a disgrace and not one bit funny for the decent folk(and I don't doubt there are plenty) who are left living in these conditions. Security my left side, it might just happen in your neighbourhood
Old 22-06-2011, 00:26   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Bang out of order making comments like that IMHO. I have family living in that area and if the money had been spread more evenly maybe things wouldn't look so bad in some areas and honky dory in others. We can't all perhaps choose where we live but my goodness some areas got regenaration money poured into them whilst others were left to rot It is a disgrace and not one bit funny for the decent folk(and I don't doubt there are plenty) who are left living in these conditions. Security my left side, it might just happen in your neighbourhood
I don't think Magpie was having a go at Woodnook Bernie..to tell the truth I was out of order calling the place a slum when it comes to folk who still live there...some areas of any town can end up like Woodnook not because of the folk wholive there but because the council have let themselves be duped by so called investors... bottom line is still that no council should stand by and let any area under thier control get into such a mess.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:26   #111
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniebee58 View Post
Accrington is not all bad, we have a great Art Gallery, which brings in lots of visitors from other towns, we have the Globe Centre and Traders Brasserie which serves great food made by the Students of the Catering College.We also have two new health centres which cater for the health needs of the local population. And we also have a state of the art dental Centre, which trains dentists from all over Lancashire. The Market Hall has just been awarded Great Market 2011 and the people are the most friendly people you could wish to meet. I just wish people would stop knocking the town, this negativity does not help anyone.

There is a difference between negativity and seeing things as they really are.

As for the Market Hall...can you see where all the money was spent, because I can't.......it is a travesty. It no longer has the stalls, the custom or the vibrancy of bygone days.
How on earth the Market hall won the award is beyond me...especially when you look at Markets like Bury(the finest around).

Yes, there are pleasant places around Accrington, but the town centre is just as Stuart Maconie portrayed it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:53   #112
Super Moderator

Having read Stuart Maconie's piece (nipped into Waterstone's last Sunday), I'd say it's nowhere near as bad as the media sensationalists and outraged local politicians have portrayed it. Yes, he does tell it like it is about the town centre (and who, except a rose coloured specatacles wearer, could disagree with him?), but he talks about the positives like the Haworth and his overall tone is thoughtfully sympathetic, with his assessment of the town being "pleasantly rugged". I would suggest that the civic leaders currently spluttering with indignation should take the time out to read it before they pass comment.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:57   #113
Beacon of light

Steve, I did say this in an earlier post........the LT have just taken a bit out of the book (losing the context, in the process)just to sensationalise, and stir the pot a bit......they don't care about the reputation of the town, they only want to sell papers.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:18   #114
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Steve, I did say this in an earlier post........the LT have just taken a bit out of the book (losing the context, in the process)just to sensationalise, and stir the pot a bit......they don't care about the reputation of the town, they only want to sell papers.
Quite right, Margaret. It's quite an interesting piece. He also repeats a theory, which he admits is a bit "fanciful" that the town went into mourning after the Pals massacre and has never really come out of it. As he says, even the buses were painted in the regimental colours with black mudguards as a sign of mourning. Not too sure about that myself, but it's certainly food for thought.

Incidentally, Margaret, the whole book looks quite a good read. It's only around £5 on kindle, so I'm quite tempted. As someone said, all publicity is good publicity!
Old 22-06-2011, 08:53   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I would suggest that the civic leaders currently spluttering with indignation should take the time out to read it before they pass comment.
Yes, bit suprising that the new leader of the council, Miles 'I won't be courting the media' Parkinson, has been venting his outrage in the newspapers, and on television.

The overall consensus seems to be that Stuart Maconie's assessment wasn't far off the mark.

It seems that the people of the town aren't as easily taken in by the hyperbole in the press, and less likely to get hysterical, than out leaders.

Which was probably the case when the town formed the battalion known as the Accrington Pals.

Fashions may differ, trackies might be tucked into socks, but I guess when it comes to civic leadership some things never change.

Old 22-06-2011, 08:56   #116
Give, give, give member

I think some people need to realise that the days of being taken in by political spin are over.

Telling us that 'we've never had it so good', doesn't wash.

We have eyes in our heads, and can see what's what.

Good, and bad.

Old 22-06-2011, 09:03   #117
Resting in Peace

Re: DJs book 'unflattering' about Accy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think some people need to realise that the days of being taken in by political spin are over.

Telling us that 'we've never had it so good', doesn't wash.

We have eyes in our heads, and can see what's what.

Good, and bad.
Well even accy web has changed, the politicos aren't such as garrulous as they were, now they are the ones doing, instead of criticising
Old 22-06-2011, 09:18   #118
Senior Member+

I no longer live in Acc, though my heart does. On my frequent visits I see plenty I don't like, much of it to do with unemployment and social engineering. However, I still see plenty to please. One of the things that I feel like telling the world about is this website. I don't know of any other Lancashire town which has a website coming anywhere near it. How might I do this? I don't use Twitter and similar set-ups.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 10:00   #119
Beacon of light

word of mouth is as good as anything...tell your circle of friends...make them curious.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:02   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
word of mouth is as good as anything...tell your circle of friends...make them curious.
Your right Margaret, I've told 3 different people this last week about Accy Web who had never heard of it before

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..