Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 17:30   #1
Give, give, give member

Do enemies make us easier to govern?

Ok, another sleepless night, and my mind went a wandering. Sorry.

We as a nation have long been fearful of attack. The Spanish with their Armarda. Napolean's might made us build Martello towers all along the coast, to fend off the French. Then we had the Germans for the first half of the twentieth century, only to be replaced by the Russians in the latter half.

The end of the Cold War seemed to be the start of a new era in world peace, but then we entered into a war with 'terror'. These few Muslim extremists have brought about an increase in fear from the majority of people in the West. Racism is on the rise, not just against Muslims, but according to the press Jews and Christians as well.

Do the governments of the world encourage our fear, as it makes us easier to govern if we have a percieved enemy at the door?

On a much smaller scale you could take football hooliganism as another example of man's need for an enemy. Rovers hates Burnley, and both will fight each other, unless it's an international when they will join forces to pit battle against say the Germans. Perhaps it's a good job we don't have inter-continental matches, as we'd then have the Brits fighting with the Krauts to whip the Dagos of South America.

I've never held much credence with conspiracy theories but we do seem to need a percieved foe, and perhaps the governments of the world like this fact, as it means we don't look to closely at them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2006, 17:50   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Do enemies make us easier to govern?

I think you're onto something there. Even in fiction it seems we have this need to have a common enemy in order unite humanity.

Look at Star Trek - you get a confederation of planets but they have to be fighting Klingons or Ferengi or somebody.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 18:44   #3
God Member

Without an enemy wether real our percived the "football" mentality would take over and there would be chaos on the streets. Yes we are proberly easier to goven when faced with real or percieved enimies at our garden gate.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:03   #4
I am Banned

it does seem odd that once the threat of teh IRA was reduced along came terrorism to keep us all in tow

yes i do think 99% of the threat/hype is created by our govenment
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:23   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

easier to govern= YES, thats a knocking bet,also believe that most troubles/wars are started to make mountains of dosh for the faceless few,not as propaganda would have us believe,help the oppressed you gotta be joking.
Old 12-11-2006, 19:51   #6

Government controls with tax policy, the welfare state and laws and regulations which intrude upon every aspect of our daily lives.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 21:22   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
Government controls with tax policy, the welfare state and laws and regulations which intrude upon every aspect of our daily lives.
Oh, damn.

I was hoping that you'd give me a link to some hicksville conspiracy theorist site that backed up my nocturnal thoughts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 13:10   #8
Senior Member+

For half a century, our priorities were dominated by the fear of Russian Communism--until it collapsed of its own internal weakness. As I listen to the grim rhetoric of Messrs. Bush and Cheney, I wonder if they are leading us into another half-century of cold war, with terrorism replacing Communism as the second great hobgoblin of our age.
The Administration now has seventy-five officials hidden in bunkers outside Washington poised to take over the government in the event of a terrorist attack. Is it possible that paranoia has become policy? No such extreme measures were undertaken in World War II, nor in the half-century of cold war between the two nuclear giants, Russia and the United States. Our military services are the best in the world. But with a military budget at record levels, do we need to allocate another $48 billion--an amount greater than the total budget of most 3rd world countries? Is not the surest foundation for our military forces a healthy, educated, usefully employed citizenry? but if we educate to much the citizenry may understand whats going on and the rich may not get richer.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 14:07   #9
Foreign Correspondent

It's been years since I read the book, but that's exactly the point made in Orwell's "1984." Because there is an alleged war on, the government justifies taking away people's rights. In fact, they use the "war" to justify doing exactly what they wish to do.

The following quote pretty much sums up my attitude towards the Bush mal-adminitraiton - "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 14:10   #10
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Oh, damn.

I was hoping that you'd give me a link to some hicksville conspiracy theorist site that backed up my nocturnal thoughts.
Thanks, garinda, for the best laugh of the day! Check your Karma comments!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 14:21   #11
Resting in peace

I think we actually like having enemies, it would be such a boring life if everyone got on. This tiny island has not been conquered by force of arms since 1066, the British spirit of patriotism in adversity makes us easy to govern.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..