Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 15:31   #1
Always EVIL within us

Dodgy Adverts

I am sure that most people now just glance at most adverts in magazines without rushing out to buy the products, but I was particularly annoyed at one full-page ad that appeared in last months "Saga" magazine. (For those that are not aware, this monthly mag is aimed at the over 50's so I have no idea why they send it to me )

If there is one thing I will not tolerate, it is outrageous claims made in mags and newspapers and I often wonder how the papers are allowed to print them

In case you cannot see all the print from the thumbnail, I will give you the gist of what they are saying:

Firstly, they point out that this product is mainly for those that do not even know how to turn on a P.C, and by buying their course, you can learn IN TWO HOURS!! the following:

What sort of computer you need if you do not have one,
Type and print your own letters with no mistakes or grammatical errors,
Get to grips with word processing, spreadsheets,accounts, desktop publishing.....even games!
Learn how to create Christmas and Birthday cards,
Design your own letter heads and business cards,
PLUS..... Discover how to use the "world Wide Web"
Learn about e-mails, send photo's to anyone around the world...
and you will also learn how to "tweak" your P.C. to make it go faster!!

If you can learn all that in just 2 hours, just imagine what you can learn in a day!

You can buy a copy of this amazing program for just £11.90 inc postage but if you buy 2 copies, you save £4.00!!!
Eer, Why would anyone want two copies????

Finally, they ask that you fill in the form giving your name, Address, Post code, Date of Birth, Card Number, Start date, Expiry Date, and Issue number.

Couldn't you have some fun with a pensioners life savings if you managed to intercept the post!!

Oh yea, If you are not delighted with the product you have one year to return it for a full refund......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg learn your computer2.JPG (156.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-03-2005, 15:42   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Dodgy Adverts

Agreed it's patronising if they're just going to target the over 50's, but l could do with it! l was to young for computers to be used at school, and just bumble along blindly. l do get s scared when it all goes wrong.

I'm sure there are courses at the libarary available for people like me, were you won't need to pass over all your financial identity.. lt can be such a joy when it works properly, like this site infact

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 15:43   #3
God Member

Errrmmm, If this CD is aimed primarily at people who do not know how to turn their computer on, how do they get the cd in the machine, never mind access the tutorial? Or what do they do if they haven't got a computer to turn on?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 10-03-2005 at 15:44.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 15:57   #4
Senior Member+

That's because its a book, A-B!

That said, I don't believe 2 hours at all.

I certainly won't be wasting my money on it, that's for sure!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 15:58   #5
Always EVIL within us

It doesn't actually say that it is on C.D, I got the impression that it was in the form of a book or pamphlet......

At the top, it is endorsed by a woman who is a retired teacher, teacher trainer, inspector of schools, and a school governor.......she says quote: "I have no qualms about recommending this book to fellow governors, teachers, colleagues, student teachers, support staff and parents"
I would have thought that most people in these positions would have worked out the basics of computers by now.

I wonder how much she got paid for that....or if she really exists?
Old 10-03-2005, 16:05   #6
God Member

Please read carefully. It's a "course". And you can get your money back anytime within 1 year if you're not completely satisfied.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 16:06   #7
Give, give, give member

lt's amazing what the silly Tristrams in advertising think we'll need, and to who it's aimed at.

Is there a nice piccy of that nice Frank Thornton, showing us something we really need in this months issue? Well it's nice they can all have a piece of the pie now Dame Thora's no longer here.

Old 10-03-2005, 16:18   #8
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Please read carefully. It's a "course". And you can get your money back anytime within 1 year if you're not completely satisfied.
Yes tealeaf but it says in the advert quote"Just start at chapter one and work through the course. IT TAKES JUST TWO HOURS AND BEFORE LONG...etc"

It is very misleading exactly what you get for your money but it is certainly intended to mislead pensioners into thinking they can become "A computer Whiz in just two hours" (their words)

I am sure it is a useful book but it was the continual reference to the two hours that has got me so riled.....

And how can you trust a company that is trying to sell two copies of the same book with cash incentives?
Old 10-03-2005, 16:20   #9
Senior Member+

One for you and one for someone else.

Or nothing for you and money for them.

Then they disappear and reappear on Watchdog...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 16:22   #10
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Then they disappear and reappear on Watchdog...
Got it in one vorlon
Old 10-03-2005, 16:33   #11
Resting in peace

How do they expect, in two hours, to get you typing a letter with no mis-spellings and no grammatical errors? I have come across secretaries who can't do that after years of experience!

On a lighter note, I once worked with a sec (at the Royal Free) who was totally computer illiterate, to her it was just a fancy typewriter. After she left every evening, I used to log on to her machine and change the screen saver, leaving her little messages as to what she had said/what had happened/etc during the day. She never cottoned on .... she used to say in amazement "It can hear me!! - It knows what I do!".

So, how to teach someone who has never used one in two hours ..........
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 16:36   #12
God Member

Oh right it's a book not a cd. Where did I get that idea from????? I think I'll stick to slapping HBC around it's collective head from now on. Less chance of making mistakes there. Whatever it is I accuse them of they're bound to be guilty of it.
Old 10-03-2005, 16:39   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Yes tealeaf but it says in the advert quote"Just start at chapter one and work through the course. IT TAKES JUST TWO HOURS AND BEFORE LONG...etc"

It
Busman, I think everyone on here can see that this is a scam. My own guess is that the book/cd is merely an idiot's guide, cut and pasted fron elsewhere. It probably arrives with various other scam offers as well, such as "send us a cheque for thirty quid and we'll show you how you can make hundreds of pounds a day from your new-found computer skills."

What is that telephone number in the advert....is that a premium rate number?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 17:35   #14
Give, give, give member

My then seven old then weedy brother, saved up his pocket money after seeing the Charles Atlas advert in the newspaper. The one about not getting sand kicked in your eyes, and therefore impressing the girls.
At the time l remember it was quite expensive, and all he got was a flimsy pamphlet and a giant rubber band. Sand was still kicked, and l think he was twelve before he got a girlfriend.

Last edited by garinda; 10-03-2005 at 22:26.
Old 10-03-2005, 18:35   #15
white rabbits

i would be very wary of any advert asking for personal details,i tried to get some smilies and when it asked to fill in details i panicked and clocked off.i certainly wouldent give bank details ......iam still thick where computers are concerned,i use it only for entertainment and e,mails ,i dont think i can absorb any more information so 2hours would be useless to me ,,but its still a good idea to think twice at these adverts ....(good thread )

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..